The New Mutants | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The New Mutants

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
20th Century Studios released yet another teaser for this movie and they will have a panel during comic-con from home next Thursday (July 23rd). Maybe we get some sort of announcement of it moving to streaming then?

Reactions: Tbad556
Just release it to a streaming platform already. This is turning into another Amityville: The Awakening scenario where it's constantly pushed back and then silently gets released...somewhere.

Just release it to a streaming platform already. This is turning into another Amityville: The Awakening scenario where it's constantly pushed back and then silently gets released...somewhere.
I think there's a contractual obligation to release it to theaters that Disney needs to renegotiate or find a work around for.

Reactions: Legacy
Further clarification on why Disney keeps holding out on a theatrical release for this film - If they were to dump it on streaming, it goes to HBO Max do to a deal Fox signed for X-Men movies to go to HBO first. Disney doesn't want that, obviously. If they can't dump it on Disney+, they will want to make money off of this themselves first.

Does that preclude a PVOD option?
Maybe, although there could be some legal work around. the deal Fox signed with HBO made them the home all their movies when to after their theatrical run (although they did go for purchase on Blu-ray and digital too, so i'm unsure).

But if they put it on PVOD, that may trigger the part of the contract that allows HBO to put it on their service immediately, which would make no sense from Disney's point of view. They'd only be helping HBO Max.

The New Mutant's will still release on August 28th, and they made humor about the fact of the continual delay's.

They also showed the first few minutes of the film.

Not surprised it is sticking to the date, tbh. They contractually have to release it in theaters, but that’s all they have to do. I can see them throwing it on PVOD after a month or so to make the real money since most theaters won’t be open. After it’s gone through all of that, HBO gets it due to their streaming deal with Fox movies.

Reactions: Tbad556

Such a bummer.

Will it probably be a trash heap of a movie? Yeah.

Have I been inexplicably hyped for it since the initial April 2018 release date regardless? YUP.

I'd absolutely drop the money to get this VOD, but I'm not ready for a theater release yet. Fingers crossed we get the option somehow.

Reactions: RevFreako
New Mutants may be the best kind of movie to open in this climate. I can't imagine the budget is super high; probably around the $60 million it took to make the first Deadpool. It doesn't need to do gangbusters to turn a profit. Low risk, potentially high reward as people are starving for anything new. A good way to test the waters for the movies opening after that.

Reactions: belloq87 and Nick
New Mutants may be the best kind of movie to open in this climate. I can't imagine the budget is super high; probably around the $60 million it took to make the first Deadpool. It doesn't need to do gangbusters to turn a profit. Low risk, potentially high reward as people are starving for anything new. A good way to test the waters for the movies opening after that.
Pretty much spot on. I expect they barely break even with theaters (if even doing that) and then make quite a bit on VOD.

Reactions: belloq87