The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 522 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're always open to critique and suggestions for improvement and we have a whole subforum dedicated to it!

I can't speak for Brian or the other mods on everything you suggest but one there is one part I underlined above I'd like to comment on. We've tried to tackle how to handle this before, including giving Legacy their own thread for hints. The problem is this is a tacit acknowledgment from the site about HHN leaks and adds a layer of "confirmed" we want to avoid. And personally I'd rather not add another level of user segregation than we have to.
That's definitely understandable and I'm sorry I didn't know there was a thread for that. You guys do a fine job of jumping in and I only said the few things I did mention because everything else is tip top. It's like that great restaurant you go to and you only complain the one time because it's not the perfection you're used to. In the same breath, I want you guys to know I think you're doing a stellar job.

I'll post further on my reasoning in that other thread. Thanks @Joe !

Reactions: Brandon Voorhees
Just wondering if the parks will maybe do like a “HHN Icon daytime cavalcade” Or stage show thing by horror makeup. Call me crazy but I think fans would love even that slightest taste of HHN this year. And the 5 icons appearing to hype up next year would be perfect of universal to do.

Just wondering if the parks will maybe do like a “HHN Icon daytime cavalcade” Or stage show thing by horror makeup. Call me crazy but I think fans would love even that slightest taste of HHN this year. And the 5 icons appearing to hype up next year would be perfect of universal to do.
If they did i dont think theyd do it out in the open.
Kinda hard to maintain the integrity of those characters out in the open during day hours. If universal takes a page out of knotts' book and tries to do some kind of halloween food festival as a separate ticketed event, we could totally see an icon or two show up, but theres no real rumors of anything like that so its doubtful.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but with 522 pages, it's hard to keep up. Did we have any speculation about Scare Zones?

In other news, I'm really hoping the Icons house is around next year...it was my most anticipated.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but with 522 pages, it's hard to keep up. Did we have any speculation about Scare Zones?

In other news, I'm really hoping the Icons house is around next year...it was my most anticipated.

I think the only thing that's a high probability to get removed is TC3D, HoHH and BJ who knows. Predicting that originals, Brides and Billie will almost certainly be there.

Reactions: HydraGen2299
Well this has been quite the ride, hasn't it?

A big thanks to all the mods for dealing with, well everything. As well as thanks to @Legacy and @Ringwraith for the various hints.

Yes, it's a bummer the event is cancelled. But at the same time, I feel it's the best move. The environment of HHN just isn't suited for what's going on right now, and it would suck majorly if the reputation of the awesome event was severely damaged by one report or two of something going wrong.

Not to mention, I think it's safe to speculate that whenever the event can return, it'll still be an anniversary year. An a anniversary year is the perfect kind of year to reopen with to bring everyone back and have a HUGE return. They can treat it like a killer horror homecoming and my family and I will be elated to attend that.

Also, I think with what's all gone on, there's certainly a chance they'll be able to renegotiate the contracts for the IP's for when they can reopen.
An speaking of reopening, I agree with others that we'll have to wait for a vaccine, treatment, cases to go down etc before we can even think about that. Once those things happen and give it a couple months to settle, then it could be safe to anticipate some sort of hype train to start.

Until then, get a drink, take a rest and be prepared to wait. My hearts out to everyone's jobs that'll be affected by this, and I truly hope things improve so we can all have one heckufa reunion next year.

Last edited:
Assuming it's back next year (because I can't bear thinking it isn't, I think it won't happen again if it doesn't) I could see the start date being a bit later--say, last weekend of September.

So, now that it’s been a couple of days.

I appreciate all the shoutouts for the clues. In the moment, it honestly feels a bit thankless. So, the fact that the fans look forward to them is nice. I also appreciate the sentiment behind highlighting the clues and “verifying” insiders.

That said, it’s also exhausting and, at times, extremely stressful. There are so many tightropes it requires me to walk—keeping sources safe, verifying that rumors are accurate, ensuring the clues themselves are solvable, trying to keep guesses from being so far off-base it muddies the clues completely—all while living a life completely separate from HHN and theme parks as a whole. And it is very separate. I rarely discuss the parks on social media or even at home. If I wanted it to be more, I’d post my clues through Twitter or write a blog. But this is a very compartmentalized escape for me. And sometimes, especially in the last couple of years, it’s felt less and less like an escape and more like a “requirement.” To an extent, the desire to draw more attention to my posts actually accentuate that feeling.

I started getting inside information in 2011, after a lifetime of following the event. At the time, speculation was a more stringent process. It was such that we could actually coordinate which insider would share which information, and the conversation around that information on the boards rarely strayed. But that was a long time ago. I’m the “last” of those insiders (they’re still around, but nowhere near as active), and sources have changed. And I’ve tried to stick around because I’m a vestige. While I do still get solid info directly, most of what I do now is cobble together information from people who are actually coming to me for verification.

Like Ringwraith said, sources change. Insiders change.

Things playing out like they did this year, works out though. I need a break from clues. From the stress. I have a lot going on in the real world this next year (or longer). I want to be able to throw out an idea about HHN without it becoming a “rumor” within hours.

Assuming I still get information, and if I have the energy for it, I may do clues again in the future. Maybe I won’t. HHN still holds a close place in my heart, for a myriad of reasons, but I just want to be a fan again.

If they did i dont think theyd do it out in the open.
Kinda hard to maintain the integrity of those characters out in the open during day hours. If universal takes a page out of knotts' book and tries to do some kind of halloween food festival as a separate ticketed event, we could totally see an icon or two show up, but theres no real rumors of anything like that so its doubtful.

It would be neat if they could put together a little show with a few icons and play it in the Horror Make Up Show building for the month of October but I don't know how they could work that as a daytime offering. I get that universal skews less towards younger kid/child than Disney but even then I don't know if I can see a full fledged HHN level show put on during the day. Not to mention all those logistics of writing and designing it and casting, etc., seems like too much to ask for in such short time. Fans would go crazy for an iota of the event appearing but I think the tribute store might be all they get. Maybe some easter eggs in the park during October?

Assuming it's back next year (because I can't bear thinking it isn't, I think it won't happen again if it doesn't) I could see the start date being a bit later--say, last weekend of September.

The event could have a five year ban because of whatever and they'd open it right back up in year 6. There's literally zero reason to believe HHN will ever go away unless the theme park world drastically changes.

Nor would they push the event back at all. They'll want and need all the income they can to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if the next HHN is the longest running one date wise in history. Start that bad boy with select weekends in August and leggo.

Maybe, do the Fall Food Festival like @Disneyhead suggested in another thread, intermingle it with some of the decorations and small sets that have already been made to give it a Halloween look, and an Icon show like @CoryLevy91 suggested, but for after dark....and change USF hours to Noon - 10PM on Fridays & Saturdays. . ...September/Oct. crowds will be slow with few tourists coming into Orlando. Keep IOA open 9 to 5, or 6. With USF open in the evening on the prime weekend nights, Fall/Halloween type festivities in the dark of evening could be an enticement to attract attendance during what is certain to be an agonizing slow season.

If I had to guess, IF there's a vaccine, they would make the date much earlier to take advantage of the rabid fandom and the end of summer vacations.

Maybe, do the Fall Food Festival like @Disneyhead suggested in another thread, intermingle it with some of the decorations and small sets that have already been made to give it a Halloween look, and an Icon show like @CoryLevy91 suggested, but for after dark....and change USF hours to Noon - 10PM on Fridays & Saturdays. . ...September/Oct. crowds will be slow with few tourists coming into Orlando. Keep IOA open 9 to 5, or 6. With USF open in the evening on the prime weekend nights, Fall/Halloween type festivities in the dark of evening could be an enticement to attract attendance during what is certain to be an agonizing slow season.
Like I said before, I can't imagine they won't do SOMETHING. HHN is exhausting from a coordinating, park operations, event operations, and talent perspective, but there's a unique opportunity(like they did with ST) to do something with some of the infrastructure they have. Maybe one random night, it teases what will happen next year, much like they did in '19. Who knows? They're creative.

I love this idea, but to be honest, I rather see them just save the money for next year. They have a lot of resources though, so anything as a nod to HHN would be wonderful.
I also want to thank the moderators, Legacy and everyone for making this thread so exciting this year. I come here as an escape and to get pumped up.

I apologize for my testiness and rudeness a few times. It was uncalled for. This pandemic brought out a nervousness I have never felt, and I thought I was getting whiplash. My source would give me information, then it would change the next day. I should have just stepped away from everything, because it was very stressful between them and here, given the fluidity of everything. It’s just the product of what we are all going through. I’m like many others, heartbroken, but I have no doubt Universal did everything they could to have it happen and keep us safe. Until next year. I can’t imagine what it was like for Universal with things so rapidly changing. I can’t wait to see everyone in the fog. Oh yea for good luck, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

So, now that it’s been a couple of days.

I appreciate all the shoutouts for the clues. In the moment, it honestly feels a bit thankless. So, the fact that the fans look forward to them is nice. I also appreciate the sentiment behind highlighting the clues and “verifying” insiders.

That said, it’s also exhausting and, at times, extremely stressful. There are so many tightropes it requires me to walk—keeping sources safe, verifying that rumors are accurate, ensuring the clues themselves are solvable, trying to keep guesses from being so far off-base it muddies the clues completely—all while living a life completely separate from HHN and theme parks as a whole. And it is very separate. I rarely discuss the parks on social media or even at home. If I wanted it to be more, I’d post my clues through Twitter or write a blog. But this is a very compartmentalized escape for me. And sometimes, especially in the last couple of years, it’s felt less and less like an escape and more like a “requirement.” To an extent, the desire to draw more attention to my posts actually accentuate that feeling.

I started getting inside information in 2011, after a lifetime of following the event. At the time, speculation was a more stringent process. It was such that we could actually coordinate which insider would share which information, and the conversation around that information on the boards rarely strayed. But that was a long time ago. I’m the “last” of those insiders (they’re still around, but nowhere near as active), and sources have changed. And I’ve tried to stick around because I’m a vestige. While I do still get solid info directly, most of what I do now is cobble together information from people who are actually coming to me for verification.

Like Ringwraith said, sources change. Insiders change.

Things playing out like they did this year, works out though. I need a break from clues. From the stress. I have a lot going on in the real world this next year (or longer). I want to be able to throw out an idea about HHN without it becoming a “rumor” within hours.

Assuming I still get information, and if I have the energy for it, I may do clues again in the future. Maybe I won’t. HHN still holds a close place in my heart, for a myriad of reasons, but I just want to be a fan again.
You obviously gotta do what you gotta do, but personally I'd hate to see you stop doing the clues because they're so much fun and, without them, we're kind of just posting wish lists and random ideas instead of actual rumors or speculation for the most part (other than a couple select users maybe). Maybe if @Ringwraith (and possibly somebody else "in the know") would tag team them with you it wouldn't feel like such an overwhelming chore and you would only do like 4 or 5 yourself for the entire season? Just an idea to take some of the load off you while keeping you in the game. Regardless of your decision, appreciate all the effort you've put into them for the couple of years I've been following and, especially this year when I decided to partake.

I love this idea, but to be honest, I rather see them just save the money for next year. They have a lot of resources though, so anything as a nod to HHN would be wonderful.

i kind of agree,
anything worth seeing will cost, and it will cause crowds, i would prefer a big year next year.

I also want to thank the moderators, Legacy and everyone for making this thread so exciting this year. I come here as an escape and to get pumped up.

I apologize for my testiness and rudeness a few times. It was uncalled for. This pandemic brought out a nervousness I have never felt, and I thought I was getting whiplash. My source would give me information, then it would change the next day. I should have just stepped away from everything, because it was very stressful between them and here, given the fluidity of everything. It’s just the product of what we are all going through. I’m like many others, heartbroken, but I have no doubt Universal did everything they could to have it happen and keep us safe. Until next year. I can’t imagine what it was like for Universal with things so rapidly changing. I can’t wait to see everyone in the fog. Oh yea for good luck, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.
i kind of agree,
anything worth seeing will cost, and it will cause crowds, i would prefer a big year next year.
IF they do anything, it would be in the interest of turning a profit, because at this point, they need to drive attendance and will need to drive it during the slow parts of the year

If the rumor is true that the main reason (besides possible IP withdrawal as a secondary reason) they're not doing HHN in Orlando is that the city politicians wanted them to redo the houses by widening the paths and safe distancing areas of the houses, which would have been nearly impossible business wise for Universal to do at this stage of the game, then it would make business sense to use some of the non IP general park decorations/scenes that have already been made and paid for, and create a Festival of sorts to help drive attendance. Low cost and potential decent reward. It's going to be really really slow if they do nothing. .....WDW just now delaying a few August hotel openings until Nov. shows haw slow the tourist projections are. Universal needs to spur the locals to visit, in lieu of almost no tourists coming in. A Fall/Halloween Festival could really help.

Last edited:
If the rumor is true that the main reason (besides possible IP withdrawal as a secondary reason) they're not doing HHN in Orlando is that the city politicians wanted them to redo the houses by widening the paths and safe distancing areas of the houses, which would have been nearly impossible business wise for Universal to do at this stage of the game, then it would make business sense to use some of the non IP general park decorations/scenes that have already been made and paid for, and create a Festival of sorts to help drive attendance. Low cost and potential decent reward. It's going to be really really slow if they do nothing. .....WDW just now delaying a few August hotel openings until Nov. shows haw slow the tourist projections are. Universal needs to spur the locals to visit, in lieu of almost no tourists coming in. A Fall/Halloween Festival could really help.

That rumor makes no sense and has never come up before.

That rumor makes no sense and has never come up before.
You just love to do your drive bys.....Of course, Mr. Know It All, rumors are rumors....BUT Theme Park University has a story on that rumor & Theme Park Stop posters repeated it, so the rumor is out there. and.... It makes more sense than starting a Construction thread the same day the event was cancelled. so, so much for your info....Sorry to be rude in return , but your post was rude and unneeded. :) sooo, let's get back to the main part of my post....namely will Universal use some of the akready paid for and made decorations for a fall/halloween type food festival? Of course it's conjecture, but it makes business sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.