Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

With every roll out there is a long period of test and adjust for each train coming online. The Mark VI monorails took three years to phase in and ran alongside the Mark IVs from 1988 through 1991.

I feel like we've been talking about this for 5+ years now haha

We have. I was told about 5 years ago that the company had no plans at all to replace the fleet of monorails for the foreseeable future. They were projecting them to run for about 45-50 years. They are currently 30 years old...

Last edited by a moderator:
We have. I was told about 5 years ago that the company had no plans at all to replace the fleet of monorails for the foreseeable future. They were projecting them to run for about 45-50 years. They are currently 30 years old...
Lol nothing that complicated lasts 80 years without MAJOR refurbishments!

Oriental Land Company INVESTS in their parks, Disney does not...
Just a lazy comment. Disney just opened their largest expansion ever on both US coasts, along with a new Gondola system and Resort this year. You may not like what they invest it, but they invest. Question may be after SWGE not being popular may be less future investment, but that just is simply not the case here.

Just a lazy comment. Disney just opened their largest expansion ever on both US coasts, along with a new Gondola system and Resort this year. You may not like what they invest it, but they invest. Question may be after SWGE not being popular may be less future investment, but that just is simply not the case here.
They also half assed for over a decade. So...

I'd strangely compare OLC more to how..invested Comcast spends for the Universal parks, than that of WDW.

OLC constantly add new things to the resort; no matter if it's monorails or new attractions; similar to how Comcast and UPR have continued to invest towards improving the Universal parks worldwide. Regardless of how much WDW does do in certain aspects, they've definitely half-assed in the past decade.

Personally, I wonder if the Skyliner's seemingly positive reactions and potential success means that Disney might try to transition towards using the Gondola systems more as opposed to the monorails (and perhaps, to expand to offer new routes to Disney Springs and Animal Kingdom).

I'd strangely compare OLC more to how..invested Comcast spends for the Universal parks, than that of WDW.

OLC constantly add new things to the resort; no matter if it's monorails or new attractions; similar to how Comcast and UPR have continued to invest towards improving the Universal parks worldwide. Regardless of how much WDW does do in certain aspects, they've definitely half-assed in the past decade.

Personally, I wonder if the Skyliner's seemingly positive reactions and potential success means that Disney might try to transition towards using the Gondola systems more as opposed to the monorails (and perhaps, to expand to offer new routes to Disney Springs and Animal Kingdom).

Using the Skyliner from TTC to Magic Kingdom would eliminate the need for both the ferry boats (Poly fans rejoice) and the TTC monorail line. If they're concerned with capacity, they could double up but that may not be necessary. Better from both a cost and environmental issue. Of course, everyone would then complain about seeing the gondolas crossing Seven Seas Lagoon but I think that it would be pretty cool. I wouldn't necessarily be a fan of this but they could also run lines from MK to the other resorts (GF, Contemporary, and WL) as well to eliminate the resort monorail line, although I love taking that line. I will admit that we don't use the monorail very much (actually, we never use the Epcot line from TTC) because it has become a little less reliable. I would hate to be stuck for two hours on it, especially at 11:15 PM at night.

Perhaps I should have said all aspects of their parks rather than just things with the promise of immediate RoI. Spending billions on new additions while ignoring the aging basis of their most successful park and resort is foolish. Especially when things like this happen all the time:

Disney monorail evacuated near Magic Kingdom

Last edited: