Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

At least we have the shiny, new Skyliner.
Speaking of, I take it from DHS to Epcot quite a bit and it is a breeze. So quick loading and on and off within a few minutes. I know that the monorail is iconic to WDW, but at some point you have to ask: If they refuse to buy new trains, why don't they just tear the system down and build what is a much cheaper and more efficient system in the Skyliner?

Of course in an ideal world, they would both replace the monorails AND expand the Skyliner to go to the DAK resort area with stops at All-Star, Coronado, Blizzard Beach, DAK Lodge and DAK.

Speaking of, I take it from DHS to Epcot quite a bit and it is a breeze. So quick loading and on and off within a few minutes. I know that the monorail is iconic to WDW, but at some point you have to ask: If they refuse to buy new trains, why don't they just tear the system down and build what is a much cheaper and more efficient system in the Skyliner?

Of course in an ideal world, they would both replace the monorails AND expand the Skyliner to go to the DAK resort area with stops at All-Star, Coronado, Blizzard Beach, DAK Lodge and DAK.
I loved the Skyliner. One of the best things WDW has ever done.

It would be an interesting sight to see the Skyliner going through the Contemporary.

I don’t think the monorail is going anywhere. It’s too ingrained into the infrastructure of the resort. The monorail literally runs through the Contemporary.

Disney couldn’t lose all the transportation capacity by taking down the entire monorail line for a year to demolish it and then have nothing in place for a couple more years while they build a Skyliner replacement.

And I don’t see a way for them to be able to build a Skyliner adjacent to the monorail that would have the same level of functionality.

I’m sure they could find a way, but it’s such an expensive infrastructure project. I just can’t see Disney justifying spending all that money to basically get back to the status quo. Fixing the current monorail would be cheaper

I don’t think the monorail is going anywhere. It’s too ingrained into the infrastructure of the resort. The monorail literally runs through the Contemporary.

Disney couldn’t lose all the transportation capacity by taking down the entire monorail line for a year to demolish it and then have nothing in place for a couple more years while they build a Skyliner replacement.

And I don’t see a way for them to be able to build a Skyliner adjacent to the monorail that would have the same level of functionality.

I’m sure they could find a way, but it’s such an expensive infrastructure project. I just can’t see Disney justifying spending all that money to basically get back to the status quo. Fixing the current monorail would be cheaper
You don't build it adjacent to the monorail. The Skyliner would go straight across the lagoon from the TTC to Magic Kingdom. Maybe hop over an island or two. Then the resorts could have their own lines.

I hope they fix the monorails soon, but it’s still so much work that is needed at the parks, and at this point, the only way they might fix them any sooner is if something catastrophic happens, which I profoundly hope doesn’t happen.

I wish they would tear down the monorails and build a people mover around the lagoon. It's a much more efficient system.

The monorail is so crucial to the infrastructure of WDW. I don’t think they’ll ever get rid of it, plus its speed efficient. It can go from Epcot to MK in about 10 mins. It would be cool to see the Skyliner replace it, but even though it’s continuously moving, it would be a 30 min ride.

If it was that crucial to WDW, Disney would actually spend the money on fixing all of its many problems instead of letting it fall apart and do small fixes that really do nothing.
Right. They've dumped a ridiculous amount into trying to keep these trains chugging along instead of putting money to much better use and just buying new trains.

So the monorails are falling apart, but at least they all are programed for automation and look nicer now? Seriously, this has to be a last ditch effort to get as many years out of this fleet as possible. The fleet is 33 years old, this patchwork job that probably cost them a decent amount of money to complete will only hold them over for so long, although I don't think they care much. They saved a ton by doing this instead of buying a new fleet and they'll probably chug these along now for an extra decade until they just literally can't run anymore.