The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Curious if the fire effects will be the same simulation used in the original version of Revenge of the Mummy.

Reactions: Chris
Curious if the fire effects will be the same simulation used in the original version of Revenge of the Mummy.

It will. Technifex, the company that has also worked on Terminator 2: 3D, produced both the fog blast and the fire effects for Revenge of the Mummy and will be working with Universal for the Walking Dead attraction.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GxB7vF6qc84?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William
What a travesty this isn't interactive like Biohazard The Real in Japan. I'll still have fun with it but that was some wasted potential.  

I'm assuming an attraction like that will absolutely kill capacity. Not a great combination with a park that has a low attraction count.

I don't think an attraction of this type (and I.P) are a great combination for a park aiming towards a family demographic in general haha. Infected at Knott's Scary Farm was absolutely horrendous last year on opening weekend. They seemed to work out a decent time-return system by the end of the season though. I just wish this attraction had something more to it to allow for repeat visits. 

I don't think an attraction of this type (and I.P) are a great combination for a park aiming towards a family demographic in general haha. Infected at Knott's Scary Farm was absolutely horrendous last year on opening weekend. They seemed to work out a decent time-return system by the end of the season though. I just wish this attraction had something more to it to allow for repeat visits. 

Infected was only horrendous for two reasons.

1) They critically underestimated how long it would take, therefore cascading the return times into a mess as the night proceeded.

2) The distribution system heavily favored those who knew how it worked and where to go right at rope drop. If you wanted a chance to enjoy it and you didn't get a ticket right at distribution time, you were screwed.

The system was vastly improved this year, making a longer experience, more streamlined, and fixed a lot of the "gun has extra buttons. Oops it's now broken" situations. During the day time it had a very small impact on Camp Snoopy, by design. Given how their park app now shows wait times and has a lot more digital enhancements like e-Tickets, I think they'd have a perfect opportunity to make it an online check-in.

But going back to that at USH, as Jon said, it'd be too slow considering how they just need things to eat up crowds while people are on Potter. I loved Biohazard The Real 2 in Japan, especially compared to Infected, but it was more of a special treat than something feasible. You could easily rework it to handle larger crowds, but you need a larger space to do it, and USH is bursting at the seams already. At best, they could (and this won't happen) convert it into a special hunting event DURING HHN. Design a walk-through that's both passive AND active. That would at least give it a purpose during HHN when otherwise it would be skippable. (As opposed to pumping in wub-wub music)

Reactions: Aaron
I think the major issue, for me, is that it's a short-term attraction acting as a long-term solution for a short-term problem.

USH absolutely needs the capacity... now. Maybe not in the future. Common wisdom states that this attraction will be in the park, unchanged for a good, long time and I do think there will be a point where it sticks out like a sore thumb. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I would prefer if the attraction was a "limited time only" type deal. The points about the capacity limits for a Biohazard-esque experience are well-founded and is counter-intuitive to what USH wants right now, but that's the thing: it's right now, not always.

I know the common argument is that nothing lasts forever, but I really dislike how Universal is advertising and trumpeting it. That in itself is a backwards move, like Universal of the past. If they do rip it out, replace it or upgrade it two to three years in the future, that's great! I just don't see that happening since they have bigger things for priority right now.

(loud sigh, waives surrender flag)

Reactions: chris.g and Aaron
I figure this attraction will be easy to "plus" though. You're right, maybe down the road they won't need a people eater like Walking Dead appears to be (c wut i did?). I can see this attraction being easy to upgrade in the same fashion that the old House of Horrors was. That attraction was many things before it settled on its final form. the attraction is not immortal simply because they don't say "For a limited time". Who knows? Maybe when fanfare dies down they can add an interactive element? They can change the IP? Time will tell. 

Reactions: HorrorNightsFan13
I wish the Globe Theater was incorporated into this space and became a family dark ride.  This side of the park really needs more family activity and a desire to walk that direction.

Reactions: Ryan
I suspect the Globe is used quite often for special events.  I know firsthand many schools use it for proms and the like, dance competitions, and it often gets used for corporate events.  All of which being in easy money.  So unless its usage is in decline for these special events (and I don't think it is), I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Are we expecting this attraction to open as early as Memorial Day weekend? All we've been told so far is "summer 2016," which could mean anywhere between late May and mid-August. I suspect they'd want it open during June and July for the peak crowds, but is it possible they're waiting to open this closer to HHN 2016?

Seeing some tweets from WonderCon regarding TWD maze.  Sounds interesting so far.  Can't wait for the Inside Universal write-up with all the info known so far......

Some notes, the que is themed to the 1st episode hospital, animatronics based off molds from the show, the attraction went through 12 versions, auditions May 5th and 6th.  Opening????

If anyone wants to be a scareactor for TWD, you can sign up for the auditions next week. Auditions are by appointment only

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/auditions/

Scareactors:

• Performers will be asked to do some improvisation and demonstrate “scare-abilities”.
  • Please come dressed to move.
  • Current headshot and resume preferred.
  • Performance spaces may include one or more of the following: tight spaces, darkness, strobe lighting and fog effects. All performers will wear masks and should not be claustrophobic.
  • Height in ranges of 5’6 to 6’5”.

If anyone does sign up to audition, good luck next week!

Same audition process (and details) as HHN... no real surprise...

speaking of surprises, I wish they'd give more info or at least an update on this new attraction. Since they're finally doing auditions, I expect an opening date to be announced (or leaked) within the next few weeks. I have a love/hate relationship with this attraction. I hate it because I hate TWD & that it replaced HoH. However, I love it because TWD mazes here in Hollywood that I got to experience the past 2 years were scary (unlike the first 2 years in Orlando). So I'm really hoping this ends up being a great repeatable experience like HoH (and the HHN mazes) was/were.

It'll definitely be after Kong (which will most likely be late June), so 4th of July sounds about right. I think softs will start sometime after Memorial Day weekend.

Does anybody know if a Walking Dead gift shop is being constructed on Baker Street or at the exit of this attraction?

Well its a little tough to know where the exit will be when we aren't sure about the entrance. If the entrance will be on Baker Street (which I expect it to be), I'm almost expecting a section of the Studio Store to be the dumping ground for TWD attraction. Its the only logical explanation why there is a wall where the Potter stuff is & the original front half is currently under construction. Unless a new guest services at the front of the park?...

lets face it... this whole studios store/hoh replacement project is one big head scratching mystery. I'd love to see the area near Baker street that is surrounded by construction walls. I'm curious to see just what exactly they are doing that requires the walls to still be there.