Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

You know, it's a little annoying when you look at Florida getting tribute stores for days when you have this vacant space just sitting there, waiting to be used.

If they're really so concerned about spending money on making it happen, why couldn't they just keep some of the TWDA sets and maker it a "generic" HHN tribute store? Sure, it wouldn't be perfect, but it would give that space some purpose.
I honestly think the people running USH have...No idea what is coming next

We have rumors of Mummy closing for years, and now rumors of Transfomers closing, simpsons land might have to close at some point, heck we might not even be getting the games/raid in Nintendoland.

I feel the reason they have dead land must be because they are either realllllllly cheap or have zero idea's where the next attraction will be.

I know the space is small but with Virtual Q's/using a second story like SLOP, that area could be a store or a theater for a show like Sing

I honestly think the people running USH have...No idea what is coming next

We have rumors of Mummy closing for years, and now rumors of Transfomers closing, simpsons land might have to close at some point, heck we might not even be getting the games/raid in Nintendoland.

I feel the reason they have dead land must be because they are either realllllllly cheap or have zero idea's where the next attraction will be.

I know the space is small but with Virtual Q's/using a second story like SLOP, that area could be a store or a theater for a show like Sing
I do agree that the powers that be here don't seem to have a clear vision for the park.

Again, the most they can do with this space is a flex venue or another walkthru attraction. USH doesn't seem interested in doing another walkthrough/year-round haunt so that's out.

There's not enough vertical space to make a two story attraction. Even if they would be able to, there would probably be enough to give a little more than minimum clearance space.....which would be ideal for a walkthrough (Which is out).

If they did put a show in there, it would have to be REALLY small. I mean, small to the point to where it wouldn't be worth it all of the trouble. You need space for people to sit down and watch the show. You need space for the performers and effects to do their thing. You need to make a provision for emergency exits. The space is too awkwardly shaped to make that practical.

A ride is definitely out the equation. Certainly not enough space for even a tiny Fantasyland dark ride. If you were to cram a tiny dark ride in there with the likes of Mr Toad or even Snow White, it wouldn't pass the OSHA regulations today that such rides have been grandfathered into. Now if they really, REALLY wanted to cram a dark ride into that space, maybe they could add a third story? But do we really see USH wanting to go through all of that trouble when they already have a dark ride like SLoP right up against it?

So let's see: a show is out, a dark ride is out, that only leaves a simulator. You really want more simulators at USH? I guess if they went through the trouble of tearing out the roof and adding a third story, they could make it work....maybe. But when you could easily put another dang simulator elsewhere in the park without having to go through all of that trouble to cram it in there with a park already screen-saturated....not happening.

Said it before, I'll say it again: The best possible use of this space is a flex venue. Unless they're willing to cut into Starbucks and the big gift shop (Which that ain't happening), then this location is destined to be a flex venue. If they were smart, they would at least start planning on converting it into one. They need an HHN house venue. They need a venue to hold private events. They need a venue to hold pop-up stores or promo events (Like that escape room they had years ago).

Look, I get it. You want to maximize space to make more rides. I agree they should! In this case, there's nothing else they can really put in here except a simple flex venue....which the park could actually use.

I do agree that the powers that be here don't seem to have a clear vision for the park.

Again, the most they can do with this space is a flex venue or another walkthru attraction. USH doesn't seem interested in doing another walkthrough/year-round haunt so that's out.

There's not enough vertical space to make a two story attraction. Even if they would be able to, there would probably be enough to give a little more than minimum clearance space.....which would be ideal for a walkthrough (Which is out).

If they did put a show in there, it would have to be REALLY small. I mean, small to the point to where it wouldn't be worth it all of the trouble. You need space for people to sit down and watch the show. You need space for the performers and effects to do their thing. You need to make a provision for emergency exits. The space is too awkwardly shaped to make that practical.

A ride is definitely out the equation. Certainly not enough space for even a tiny Fantasyland dark ride. If you were to cram a tiny dark ride in there with the likes of Mr Toad or even Snow White, it wouldn't pass the OSHA regulations today that such rides have been grandfathered into. Now if they really, REALLY wanted to cram a dark ride into that space, maybe they could add a third story? But do we really see USH wanting to go through all of that trouble when they already have a dark ride like SLoP right up against it?

So let's see: a show is out, a dark ride is out, that only leaves a simulator. You really want more simulators at USH? I guess if they went through the trouble of tearing out the roof and adding a third story, they could make it work....maybe. But when you could easily put another dang simulator elsewhere in the park without having to go through all of that trouble to cram it in there with a park already screen-saturated....not happening.

Said it before, I'll say it again: The best possible use of this space is a flex venue. Unless they're willing to cut into Starbucks and the big gift shop (Which that ain't happening), then this location is destined to be a flex venue. If they were smart, they would at least start planning on converting it into one. They need an HHN house venue. They need a venue to hold private events. They need a venue to hold pop-up stores or promo events (Like that escape room they had years ago).

Look, I get it. You want to maximize space to make more rides. I agree they should! In this case, there's nothing else they can really put in here except a simple flex venue....which the park could actually use.
i honestly don't think we need a ride there, but I'd really love a tribute store, which I think in theory could work in that space.
I do wonder how the laying off of the Hollywood UC team has effected the plans for the park unless they were all rehired. That team was really coming up with some stellar stuff. It's just a little disappointing that besides the holidays and HHN, there isn't too much going on now that most of the Chinese New Years stuff is cancelled. I'm holding out for the new pop up store, we'll have to wait and see on that. I'm hopeful for the future still, and hopefully they'll revitalize the closed CityWalk stores soon

I'd be down for a Tribute store....and maybe like a mini walk through of sets like what they used to do back in the days with movies like Small Soldiers

But If that becomes a Store the one near The Special Effects show I hope can be used as part of some new attraction in that area.....the park just has sooo many stores and many of which have the same stuff you find in city walk or other stores...so to me I dont want more stores and really wish they could make it some sort of attraction which is what the park needs

As the poster above me pointed out Chinese New year is not happening and I honestly blame USH Management, if Disneyland can throw all these events so can USH but not if they keep slow rolling the park. The park needs more attractions and since 1/2 the time we get a new one by replacing one that park will never become the money maker Universal wants without more things to do.
I've said it before its nice to have a park to walk on rides....but its like that because of lack of investment. Sea World might have more rides then USH in a few years....Sea World...lol

I'd be down for a Tribute store....and maybe like a mini walk through of sets like what they used to do back in the days with movies like Small Soldiers

But If that becomes a Store the one near The Special Effects show I hope can be used as part of some new attraction in that area.....the park just has sooo many stores and many of which have the same stuff you find in city walk or other stores...so to me I dont want more stores and really wish they could make it some sort of attraction which is what the park needs

As the poster above me pointed out Chinese New year is not happening and I honestly blame USH Management, if Disneyland can throw all these events so can USH but not if they keep slow rolling the park. The park needs more attractions and since 1/2 the time we get a new one by replacing one that park will never become the money maker Universal wants without more things to do.
I've said it before its nice to have a park to walk on rides....but its like that because of lack of investment. Sea World might have more rides then USH in a few years....Sea World...lol
I am glad that the Potter Feature Presentation is going, there's enough Potter in the stores lol.
One thing I've really noticed with USH, and considered making a thread about it, is the lack of advertising. Like nobody, and I mean nobody, I know knew about the SLoP ride before I told them. The only ads that do exist for it make it seem like it could easily be a simulator. Living in LA, I'd assume I would've seen a billboard or two. I think this is a big part of why the park is just so empty. Nobody knows about what they're doing. I get more ads for USF than USH, hopefully they work towards correcting this course with SNW, but even still they've been pretty mum on that despite it likely coming within a year

I am glad that the Potter Feature Presentation is going, there's enough Potter in the stores lol.
One thing I've really noticed with USH, and considered making a thread about it, is the lack of advertising. Like nobody, and I mean nobody, I know knew about the SLoP ride before I told them. The only ads that do exist for it make it seem like it could easily be a simulator. Living in LA, I'd assume I would've seen a billboard or two. I think this is a big part of why the park is just so empty. Nobody knows about what they're doing. I get more ads for USF than USH, hopefully they work towards correcting this course with SNW, but even still they've been pretty mum on that despite it likely coming within a year
Like I'm sure some people would want to ride SLOP....but its like little mermaid at DCA....its a cool ride but its not why you come to a theme park. Kinda my point is USH needs more to advertise to get people in, while Disney will raise AP prices USH had to lower them and now even has a sale because their isn't anything coming new for months and the events are bare bones compared to years before

Nintendoland is the next big push but after that.....maybe a new 3D show...lol. Even if they made this a tribute store or walk through tribute it would not bring people in besides APs. But I would still be down for it becoming some sort of attraction over nothing

Last edited:
So construction workers have been seen around TWDA, and it's sounding like it might be used as a venue for HHN.
Two questions I have:
a) will this be used for other walkthroughs year-round or is this exclusive to HHN now?
b) what do we call this venue now

It would be soooo amazing if they made a new maze every year and they had it open until the next year when we got a new maze

Honestly, this space is kind of locked into being a walk through. It could become a store but honestly WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. STORES in proximity to that area. It would have to be another maze or flex venue.

I feel as though what plagued this attraction was honestly the length and the property is well... dead. It opened at a time where The Walking Dead was dying. Not many people are interested in the property like it was before. Not to mention they should have devoted just a little more space to it. This could work if they were to convert half of the indoor queue to more maze space somehow.

If another walk through Replaces this, why not The New Universal Monsters. They can do it in the revamped style they've been having at HHN. Use Slash's soundtrack...
That's a big name that could keep it relevant, make it in a way that the monsters could be swapped out regularly.
That creates repeatability and maybe 2 or 3 scenes swap out every year for HHN.
To address the issue of being "too scary" they could lean slightly more on the Universal Monsters: Resurrection vibe and maybe make it more of a sort of "monsters gone wild" atmosphere, for HHN add more gore and make it more serious.
Problem solved.

That's probably true but wouldnt hurt to "pilot" a new year round. Open IT before HHN and if it doesn't score well, you just close it after HHN. I think the property is the biggest issue IMO. It'd forsure need to be something like FNAF, UM, Resident Evil, etc. I don't think it can ve done properly in this venue sadly though. I am also bias in this situation obviously lol
Another walk thru is not going to replace it. Year-round mazes are done. They score too low on GSATs and they cost too much to run.

This location is destined to be a flex space.

That's probably true but wouldnt hurt to "pilot" a new year round. Open IT before HHN and if it doesn't score well, you just close it after HHN. I think the property is the biggest issue IMO. It'd forsure need to be something like FNAF, UM, Resident Evil, etc. I don't think it can ve done properly in this venue sadly though. I am also bias in this situation obviously lol

Opening an HHN maze ahead of the event to pilot it as a year-round would immediately lead to skewed results, as people excited for the event or just generally itching for the Halloween season to kick in would likely lead it to score decently; once October is over and Thanksgiving is on the way, interest would plummet, as we've already seen. Even further, a year-round maze for the regular park has to play it much safer than a standard HHN maze, which ends up appealing to nobody: General parkgoers, like families with children, aren't interested in them, while people who love haunts/HHN end up bored because the maze is extremely toned down from what they want.

Throw in operational cost-related things like @Freak mentioned, which leads to, say, understaffing, then an already kneecapped maze is made even weaker simply by virtue of the one thing it should be doing best -- scaring people -- being a failure when there's no one in the maze to actually scare people. By the time TWD was nearing the end of its life, I swear you could walk through it and be lucky to see one or two actual actors, which only feeds into the "Who is this even for?" notion when the people too scared to go through it are waiting outside and the people who wanted to go through it come out only to ask, "That was it?"

And I'd argue further that the property is totally irrelevant once all these things (and more) are taken into consideration. If the Universal Monsters maze we did have had been doing gangbusters on the regular, we'd still have it around. And things you mentioned, like FNAF or Resident Evil, are popular with many, sure, but not enough to be anything more than a presence at HHN. Compared to, for instance, rollercoasters, haunts appeal to a very niche audience, one that doesn't make up the general population of day-to-day theme park goers consisting of families and tourists and so forth, and if TWD -- once a pop culture behemoth at its zenith that managed to appeal to multiple demographics in a way many horror franchises could only dream of, regardless of its fall from grace -- failed to "make it," other IPs don't really stand a chance.

I don't think USH would ever do this (or perhaps even should), but a few locations, such as Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, or Indiana Beach, make their year-round walk though haunt mazes upcharge attractions. And there aren't any human scareactors at all; it's all trigger effects, so it keeps staffing costs down. You'd just need a ticket seller and someone to watch security cameras for safety/vandalism.

It's been years, but honestly, Frankenstein's Castle at Indiana Beach is actually pretty dang good for such an attraction. Fright Walk at SCBB isn't bad, either. And there's tons of these sort of attractions at Clifton Hill (though a few do have live scareactors).

Again, I seriously doubt Universal would even do that, but it's an interesting option.

I don't think USH would ever do this (or perhaps even should), but a few locations, such as Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, or Indiana Beach, make their year-round walk though haunt mazes upcharge attractions. And there aren't any human scareactors at all; it's all trigger effects, so it keeps staffing costs down. You'd just need a ticket seller and someone to watch security cameras for safety/vandalism.

It's been years, but honestly, Frankenstein's Castle at Indiana Beach is actually pretty dang good for such an attraction. Fright Walk at SCBB isn't bad, either. And there's tons of these sort of attractions at Clifton Hill (though a few do have live scareactors).

Again, I seriously doubt Universal would even do that, but it's an interesting option.
Honestly, this space is kind of locked into being a walk through. It could become a store but honestly WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. STORES in proximity to that area. It would have to be another maze or flex venue.

I feel as though what plagued this attraction was honestly the length and the property is well... dead. It opened at a time where The Walking Dead was dying. Not many people are interested in the property like it was before. Not to mention they should have devoted just a little more space to it. This could work if they were to convert half of the indoor queue to more maze space somehow.

If another walk through Replaces this, why not The New Universal Monsters. They can do it in the revamped style they've been having at HHN. Use Slash's soundtrack...
That's a big name that could keep it relevant, make it in a way that the monsters could be swapped out regularly.
That creates repeatability and maybe 2 or 3 scenes swap out every year for HHN.
To address the issue of being "too scary" they could lean slightly more on the Universal Monsters: Resurrection vibe and maybe make it more of a sort of "monsters gone wild" atmosphere, for HHN add more gore and make it more serious.
Problem solved.

could be a year round ride haunt based on the Jordan peele movies. not just one movie but ALL his movies,
it is trendy and popular enough and he will always make more movies.