Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
but it's like why pick a movie hat has a subject and a villain that cannot be touched? the entire movie revolves around the subject that should not be named. it's literally the whole plot, it involves the whole story. it would be like doing the potter ride but you can't mention magic. or voldemort
Well, I think the goal was to replace a problematic IP with one that added representation that doesn't otherwise exist on any attractions at The Magic Kingdom.

Reactions: youhow2 and Jake S
I mean its pretty ironic to be like Splash is problematic

Then have to take Voodoo out of the new attraction because its problematic
I find it utterly silly that anyone finds hoodoo or voodoo problematic considering they are both legitimate religions and practices that aren’t necessarily bad in any way and still practiced.
Media painted them unfairly negative; but at their roots they are more than fine (except for using some of those practices and disregarding modern medicine for certain illnesses).

The decision was made when Disney was correcting some problems internally. And when corrections are done, there will often times be overcorrections, like in this instance (IMO).

It is what it is at this point.

I find it utterly silly that anyone finds hoodoo or voodoo problematic considering they are both legitimate religions and practices that aren’t necessarily bad in any way and still practiced.
Media painted them unfairly negative; but at their roots they are more than fine (except for using some of those practices and disregarding modern medicine for certain illnesses).

The decision was made when Disney was correcting some problems internally. And when corrections are done, there will often times be overcorrections, like in this instance (IMO).

I mean, the film I think does a good job to show Voodoo like anything tool or religion to be good or bad depending on the person using it and the intentions

I'm just pointing out its funny to be like we can't have splash because of controversy....only to change characters and remove one because of controversy

I’ve been looking around and can’t find a reliable answer, so I’ll ask y’all.

Has the breakdowns/shutdowns decreased or increased since the first few days of CM preview?
I have my AP preview on Sunday and am trying to determine whether it’s worth my time at taking possibly a huge gamble getting on at all…

I don’t think the problem is the details of the religion, I think it’s using any religion at all. Imagine the discourse if Brer Fox was portrayed as an evangelical Christian…or if the monster in Guardians was a devout Muslim.

I saw someone point out that that doesnt check out because the villain from the movie is available for meet and greets…but I think the difference is in a meet and greet whatever ties the character has to any culture is incidental. Using that culture to propel a ride story forward and create a threat is where it gets dicey. At least, that’s how I think a company as large and diverse as Disney sees it.

I mean, the film I think does a good job to show Voodoo like anything tool or religion to be good or bad depending on the person using it and the intentions

I'm just pointing out its funny to be like we can't have splash because of controversy....only to change characters and remove one because of controversy
I get it, it’s funny. But they never had voodoo in this attraction so they never had to “remove” it.

We’re not privy to their decision making process on the story for this attraction.

I’m certain a storybook ride with Facilier was entertained. But we don’t know it was nixed because of voodoo.
They may have just preferred to tell a new story a la frozen ever after (which seems quasi based on the short that came before frozen 2).
I’m w/ @Alicia on this one until someone in the actual decision making process lets us know the truth (which we may never get).

Imagine the discourse if Brer Fox was portrayed as an evangelical Christian…or if the monster in Guardians was a devout Muslim.
What I wouldn’t give for both of these things to occur. :lmao:

I mean its pretty ironic to be like Splash is problematic

Then have to take Voodoo out of the new attraction because its problematic

maybe the ride should have made with Moana, the drop would have even made more sense. the entire boat aspect is Tailor made for Moana

Reactions: SeventyOne
I get it, it’s funny. But they never had voodoo in this attraction so they never had to “remove” it.

We’re not privy to their decision making process on the story for this attraction.

I’m certain a storybook ride with Facilier was entertained. But we don’t know it was nixed because of voodoo.
They may have just preferred to tell a new story a la frozen ever after (which seems quasi based on the short that came before frozen 2).
Mamma Odie, in the film and per anything you look up about her is a Voodoo priestessor or The Voodoo Queen of the Bayou

So they did have to remove it to include her, which is fine. I find it more funny how Disney can just make up rules whenever they want and ignore said rules when they like

I would loveeeeeeee someone to write a short book about this entire process of splash having to go for this.

Mamma Odie, in the film and per anything you look up about her is a Voodoo priestessor or The Voodoo Queen of the Bayou

So they did have to remove it to include her, which is fine. I find it more funny how Disney can just make up rules whenever they want and ignore said rules when they like

I would loveeeeeeee someone to write a short book about this entire process of splash having to go for this.
Totally agree- forgot about that.

maybe the ride should have made with Moana, the drop would have even made more sense. the entire boat aspect is Tailor made for Moana
If I’m a betting man, it probably would have been Moana had they made the decision in any year outside of 2020.

I don’t think the problem is the details of the religion, I think it’s using any religion at all. Imagine the discourse if Brer Fox was portrayed as an evangelical Christian…or if the monster in Guardians was a devout Muslim.

I saw someone point out that that doesnt check out because the villain from the movie is available for meet and greets…but I think the difference is in a meet and greet whatever ties the character has to any culture is incidental. Using that culture to propel a ride story forward and create a threat is where it gets dicey. At least, that’s how I think a company as large and diverse as Disney sees it.
That someone was me, and that certainly is a fair point.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy

Honest question, will they end the MNSSHP show where he practices dark voodoo magic with the Wiccan-adjacent sisters?

Reactions: ReelJustice
Honest question, will they end the MNSSHP show where he practices dark voodoo magic with the Wiccan-adjacent sisters?
I mean….I dont know? I dont know much about the Mickey Halloween party haha. Just speculating a possible viewpoint of the designers of the ride, of which I know 0. Another possibility could be that they didn’t think the presence of a cartoon villain was going to be this contentious when they were doing the redesign?

Reactions: SeventyOne
I mean….I dont know? I dont know much about the Mickey Halloween party haha. Just speculating a possible viewpoint of the designers of the ride, of which I know 0. Another possibility could be that they didn’t think the presence of a cartoon villain was going to be this contentious when they were doing the redesign?
I mean if Disney didn't know then they should not be making attractions

Like go talk to guests and I'm sure many would want the Villain in there.....I see so many comments online about Wish that even if it sucked they wish it had a good villain

People like the old school villains. Plus we have talked it to death but the lift hill was made for his song.

I mean if Disney didn't know then they should not be making attractions

Like go talk to guests and I'm sure many would want the Villain in there.....I see so many comments online about Wish that even if it sucked they wish it had a good villain

People like the old school villains. Plus we have talked it to death but the lift hill was made for his song.
Eh, they swung and missed. There were plenty of reasons to use the Princess and the Frog IP for the retheme beyond just one character.

So I just got off the ride and personally, I really enjoyed it! I do think the ride is quite barren in some areas and could've used more animatronics/sets but it doesn't bother me as much as it does for others. It's a really cute attraction and I was smiling the whole time so I'm happy! Let the good times rolllllllllll lololol

I’ve been looking around and can’t find a reliable answer, so I’ll ask y’all.

Has the breakdowns/shutdowns decreased or increased since the first few days of CM preview?
I have my AP preview on Sunday and am trying to determine whether it’s worth my time at taking possibly a huge gamble getting on at all…

I'm gonna go with it still being hit or miss.