Tips for a 1-Day Trip to USH? | Inside Universal Forums

Tips for a 1-Day Trip to USH?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Hey guys, especially those familiar with USH. I'm going to California next month for a quick trip and doing two days in DLR, one day sightseeing, and one day at USH. The one and only time I went to USH, it was something like New Years Day 2013. We're going the week following Easter and going to USH on April 14th to be exact (a Friday).

We know what we are going for in general. For my friend it's mostly about SNW and for me it's about seeing anything we don't have in Orlando. So I guess the question is is there any non-obvious things that I should do while spending the day at USH? Like things such as side entertainment acts, any food or drinks you would recommend, etc, etc. Thanks.

Kung Fu Panda is good only if you have the time. SLoP and Jurassic World of course are must do's and Alex mentions WaterWorld.

Food wise, I assume you'll try to eat at Toadstool Cafe. But I'll say that I liked the ramen at Hollywood & Dine on the Upper Lot. I also heard the Felonious Float at Minion Cafe is pretty good. Isla Nu-Bar also has some great drinks too.

Reactions: Nick
Food wise, heard nothing but great things for both Toadstool Cafe (the Peach Cupcake is apparently nothing to snuff at either even if it's a visual downgrade from the Osaka Peach cake) and Toothsome for Citywalk.

The Mario Restaurant because your not local but if not that then anything at Citywalk vs whats in the park.

For sure get the early hour pass if you can afford it, it seems like the best way to see SNW.

Either way start your day at Nintendo land, then I'd hit up SLOP, the tram, and watch Panda/WW when you have time but both aren't that hard to get into.

Thanks guys, Toadstool is definitely on our list. Any specific place in CW you guys would suggest for quick service or full service?

Thanks guys, Toadstool is definitely on our list. Any specific place in CW you guys would suggest for quick service or full service?
Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville
Antojitos Cocina Mexicana
Are my go to, I also go to Buca if I have a coupon

The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen is also a good new choice but you might want a reservation

As for quick service Firehouse Subs are what I get mainly and Voodoo Donutes for a snack/dessert

Definitely do WaterWorld, Studio Tour, SLOP, and Mummy (for the differences). Do Mario Kart first! If things don’t work out for MK, such as constant breakdowns that have been happening, then Orlando’s will open soon. Simpsons, Minions, Transformers, and Forbidden Journey can be skipped because they’re nearly identical or if you’re short on time (I skipped Minions and Simpsons for my Orlando trip).

I would constantly gauge wait times before and during the visit if you aren’t buying Express Passes. Analyze the charts on ThrillData lol. I would probably do in order = 1) Mario Kart, 2) Mummy, 3) Jurassic World, 4) Studio Tour, 5) SLOP, 6) WaterWorld, and 7)Kung Fu Panda. Then whatever you want after that.

If you aren’t buying early entry for SNW and want to do the games with lower crowds then later in the day is better. If you aren’t dead tired by then, 8-10pm is when the park starts to clear out, especially SNW.

Definitely do WaterWorld, Studio Tour, SLOP, and Mummy (for the differences). Do Mario Kart first! If things don’t work out for MK, such as constant breakdowns that have been happening, then Orlando’s will open soon. Simpsons, Minions, Transformers, and Forbidden Journey can be skipped because they’re nearly identical or if you’re short on time (I skipped Minions and Simpsons for my Orlando trip).

I would constantly gauge wait times before and during the visit if you aren’t buying Express Passes. Analyze the charts on ThrillData lol. I would probably do in order = 1) Mario Kart, 2) Mummy, 3) Jurassic World, 4) Studio Tour, 5) SLOP, 6) WaterWorld, and 7)Kung Fu Panda. Then whatever you want after that.

If you aren’t buying early entry for SNW and want to do the games with lower crowds then later in the day is better. If you aren’t dead tired by then, 8-10pm is when the park starts to clear out, especially SNW.
Thanks, this helps quite a bit in how to prepare and what to do when. I won’t be getting early entry and I don’t think Express is something we plan on since we’re more just looking to do the things Orlando doesn’t have first and foremost.

I haven’t looked into it yet, but which rides at USH have single rider, as we’d gladly use those to save time waiting.

Thanks, this helps quite a bit in how to prepare and what to do when. I won’t be getting early entry and I don’t think Express is something we plan on since we’re more just looking to do the things Orlando doesn’t have first and foremost.

I haven’t looked into it yet, but which rides at USH have single rider, as we’d gladly use those to save time waiting.

- Transformers
- Mario Kart
- Forbidden Journey
- Revenge of The Mummy
- Jurassic World

So this is actually a question unrelated to USH, but i'm staying in Anaheim near DLR. Friend and I were recommended a bar to go to called Unsung Brewing Company. Anyone been here/have any other recommendations for the area or the area by USH (we're thinking of seeing a Dodgers game after USH and then going somewhere).

Go to Nobu 15 minutes from the stadium, reserve your table exactly 30 days from when you’re planning to go. You won’t be disappointed :thumbsup:

So this is actually a question unrelated to USH, but i'm staying in Anaheim near DLR. Friend and I were recommended a bar to go to called Unsung Brewing Company. Anyone been here/have any other recommendations for the area or the area by USH (we're thinking of seeing a Dodgers game after USH and then going somewhere).

Unsung is solid! Other's I would recommend that are a not-too-far drive from the resort area are Brewery X, Bottle Logic and The Bruery. Both have a lot of unique beers — particularly Bruery. If you're going to a Dodgers game, you can try to hit the original Golden Road location that's close(ish) to the stadium. Awesome space.

On the restaurant side, I recommend The Tangerine Room. It's inside a Westin on Katella, a short walk from the convention center and a long walk from the stadium. I've been multiple times and am a big fan.

Assuming you can get the early entry for Nintendo? That could make or break your day. I would really strongly suggest investing in that and making the most of that time, particularly the games, meet and greets, and a round or two on Mario Kart.

Basically, I'd do the following:

SUPER NINTENDO WORLD HOUR >
-Meet and Greets (they typically start at 7/7:15 if the park opens at 8)
-Games (save Bowser Jr. for a little later)
-Mario Kart

Then,

-Mummy
-Jurassic World
-Secret Life of Pets
-Studio Tour

After this point, the park will be busy, but you'll have gotten through most of the bottlenecks. Make a virtual queue reservation for Nintendo so you can go check it out again later and/or get a Toadstool Cafe reservation in the morning for dinner so you can reenter then. For lunch, I highly, highly recommend Vivo, which I believe to be superior to Orlando's offering. The liquor is top shelf and VERY affordable - Woodford Reserve is literally their well drink for bourbon. Excellent cocktails, pasta, and pizza, it's not too hard to get into, and it's very close to the turnstiles.

I would recommend picking up Waterworld and Kung Fu Panda in the afternoon, as they are typically pretty easy to access when the park is more crowded. You can safely skip Transformers, Simpsons, and Minions unless you are a completionist. Forbidden Journey may be worth doing for the differences in the Dementor sequence, and that ride tends to empty out by late afternoon. Flying Hippogriff also has more zip than its Orlando sister and offers incredible views of the San Fernando Valley.

You should also hang out on the top deck near the New York Street set, as that's where most of the characters emerge. You'll probably see Frankenstein's Monster and the Bride, for example.

I can't quite recall the exact dates, but if you're going on a Friday in April, I think you may also have a chance to see the Dark Arts show with drones and Death Eaters.

Reactions: belloq87 and Nick
Assuming you can get the early entry for Nintendo? That could make or break your day. I would really strongly suggest investing in that and making the most of that time, particularly the games, meet and greets, and a round or two on Mario Kart.

Basically, I'd do the following:

SUPER NINTENDO WORLD HOUR >
-Meet and Greets (they typically start at 7/7:15 if the park opens at 8)
-Games (save Bowser Jr. for a little later)
-Mario Kart

Then,

-Mummy
-Jurassic World
-Secret Life of Pets
-Studio Tour

After this point, the park will be busy, but you'll have gotten through most of the bottlenecks. Make a virtual queue reservation for Nintendo so you can go check it out again later and/or get a Toadstool Cafe reservation in the morning for dinner so you can reenter then. For lunch, I highly, highly recommend Vivo, which I believe to be superior to Orlando's offering. The liquor is top shelf and VERY affordable - Woodford Reserve is literally their well drink for bourbon. Excellent cocktails, pasta, and pizza, it's not too hard to get into, and it's very close to the turnstiles.

I would recommend picking up Waterworld and Kung Fu Panda in the afternoon, as they are typically pretty easy to access when the park is more crowded. You can safely skip Transformers, Simpsons, and Minions unless you are a completionist. Forbidden Journey may be worth doing for the differences in the Dementor sequence, and that ride tends to empty out by late afternoon. Flying Hippogriff also has more zip than its Orlando sister and offers incredible views of the San Fernando Valley.

You should also hang out on the top deck near the New York Street set, as that's where most of the characters emerge. You'll probably see Frankenstein's Monster and the Bride, for example.

I can't quite recall the exact dates, but if you're going on a Friday in April, I think you may also have a chance to see the Dark Arts show with drones and Death Eaters.
Thanks! This is a big help and I’ll have to check the dates on the drone show.

Hey everyone! Sorry to bump an existing and old thread… but it seemed easier to just add to this.

We are finally coming down from Vancouver and doing a Disneyland trip, and also going to do two nights at the Hilton to do a day at USH. I have only been to USH once, as a kid, in 2001, but I’ve spent many a day at UO (last time was 2014). My partner has never been to any Universal park, so my goal is to get this thing done.

The kicker is… I’m dumb and the plan is to do USH June 17th. It will be a Monday, but really summer will have begun.

What are people’s thoughts on strategy? I really would like to avoid express, but would like early entry for SNW (which includes express for the tour before 11am).

Caveat, I’m not sold on buying a band for SNW, and assume you need one for the games? So mostly just want to take in the atmosphere, enjoy Mario Kart, meet a character, and maybe get a booking for Toadstool. Is that a bad idea?

Thoughts? Can we get it all done from open to close?