Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tokyo Disney 2020 Redevelopments & Additions

Feb 25, 2014
So today the OLC announced their official plans for a major redevelopment for Fantasyland in TDL, as well as adding Soarin' to TDS in Mediterranean Harbor.

http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20160407_01e.pdf

The plans are as follows, for TDL they'll be getting an area for Beauty and Beast, which'll included a BatB darkride which could possibly be trackless as well. Also the land will have a resturant and shop.

They'll also be getting a large full-scale indoor theater, and Toontown will be getting a new meet and greet area.
Finally, over in Tomorrowland they'll be adding a little Big Hero 6 area which'll include a Bamax ride akin to Maters Junkyard Jamboree in DCA.

In order to accommodate the new BatB area, the theater and Big Hero 6, they'll be closing the Tomorrowland Grand Circuit Raceway and Starjets in 2017. An' everything is tentatively scheduled to open in 2020.

As for TDS, they'll be adding what looks like a highly themed version of Soarin' in Mediterranean Harbor. An' this is tentatively scheduled to open in 2019.

An' of course, the press release mentions that for 2021 and after they're looking at redevelopment plans for all seven lands in TDL (including Fantasyland), as well as planning what'll go into expansion plots for TDS.

-----

Overall, I'm really excited for the BatB darkride since that's one of my favorite films and I've been wanting a darkride for it for a while, so thank you Japan!

Though at the same time, it's intruiging that the official plans are a bit scaled back compared to what they had in mind before extending the period of evaluating the plans. Earlier the redevelopment plans for Fantasyland were much larger, while they were still going to have a BatB area, they were also going to expand their Alice in Wonderland section & literally move IASW to where their Tomorrowland Grand Circuit is. Now considering BatB and the Theater is moving to were the Grand Circuit is, it does make you wonder if they'll still add the Alice in Wonderland section in the future.

Also, for TDS they were planning to put Frozen into one of the expansion plots near the Lost River Delta port. So it seems like that's been pushed back. Admittedly I'm surprised by that considering Frozen was HUGE in Japan, so it does make me wonder what caused it's delay.

Especially considering the BATB ride was developed to be featured in New FL originally. Burns, it does.
Maybe now that it's happening we'll get it eventually (who am I kidding :lol:)? There is an expansion plot still, but it would require moving some BOH stuff.

Just another reminder how absolutely amazing that resort is.

For the lurkers out there: go to Tokyo Disney. It's not nearly as expensive as everyone says, provided you don't stay on-site. Plane tickets are your largest expense an as long as you stay up-to-date with a travel deals site, you can find deals on-par with a flight to Orlando. Your park tickets will honestly cost 50% of what they do in the states too.

Who says Tokyo disney is expensive? Tickets are a bargain compared to the US and I think the other parks. I'm just worried it will be impossible to go to the park at the gate at opening and stay till close and get much done when I go around the Olympics.

Tokyo Disney isn't nearly as expensive as people think unless you stay on-site. I'm positive their on-site hotels are the most expensive Disney hotels in the world. But, hotels in Tokyo aren't that expensive comparatively and plane tickets aren't nearly as bad as you'd think.

Who says Tokyo disney is expensive? Tickets are a bargain compared to the US and I think the other parks. I'm just worried it will be impossible to go to the park at the gate at opening and stay till close and get much done when I go around the Olympics.

Yea I would avoid during the Olympics but outside that as long as its not a weekend or holiday, the parks are manageable.

Staying on site at Tokyo disney would be the least necessary of any disney resort considering the public transit and amount of other things to see in the area.

Unfortunately it will be Olympics or never to see the parks tho.