Trip in May with Toddler | Inside Universal Forums

Trip in May with Toddler

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 4, 2013
Hey guys,

Last time I've been in Florida was in 2012. Time for another vacation, but my oh my have things changed! We've got our first little one tagging along with us this time. Universal may be slightly impractical to squeeze into this trip but there is no way I'm going to be in the same vicinity as Diagon Alley and not go.

Where I need some conscious comforting is the budget and practicality of it all. First off our son will be 15 1/2 months when we travel. Our mindset will not be go go go when we do the Orlando parks. We're going second week of May so I think we'll have lighter crowds to our advantage. Hogwarts Express is a priority so a park to park ticket is a must. But do I just plan for one day, which should allow us to do both HP areas, as well as Suess, and any other age appropriate attractions or two days? Right now there is only a $40 difference between a one day PTP or 2 day (plus a third free) PTP ticket.

My wife has never been to Disney and there is much more we can take our son on so we are going to do Magic Kingdom as well. We're arriving on a Monday and flying out either late Saturday or early Sunday. We really didn't want to be too park heavy on our trip but with our son being so young I guess we're worried about him not lasting long on the beach. At that point there's only so much else to do so I thought the parks would keep us busy and entertained.

Any advice helps! Thanks

If the main goal is to do things with your wife and young son I think you should focus on MK, AK, and UOR. MK has all the classic dark rides and family attractions, AK has the shows and animals, and UOR since you want to do Diagon and more. I think Universal is a two day situation now, and you can child swap to ride the big attractions (Gringotts, etc). Plus by choosing two days you can take a mid-day break, and if possible, you can swing out to the parks and ride some rides just you want to do.

But of course I'm a child-less 28 year old single dude. lol

I hear ya I'll be 27 next month it's hard finding the right balance to maintain your sanity!
Can you use the single rider line and still child swap? It pains me to spend close to 1k on park tickets. I can't believe the price difference from 5 years ago for the Disney parks. But MK and AK is the plan. How quick is it going from one to the other? I think I should get a hopper for Disney too in case we want to bail on AK and get an extra half day at MK.

My only must rides at UOR are Gringotts, HPatFJ, and Transformers. I think I'm going to be doing more eating, drinking, and spending more money on overpriced HP merchandise this time around. :lol:

Here is a tip. What ever plans you make, be prepared to have them change on the fly with the little one part of the mix now. We have 3 kids (1-1/2,3-1/2 and 4-1/2 year olds) we take to the parks and it really changed the way we view the parks and changed how we spend our days there.

Disney - Learn where the baby stations are. They become your best friend and have quiet bathrooms for the adults as well. Oh and outlets to charge you electronics. Utilize the FP+ for rides and shows to cut on wait times.

Like Joe mentioned, a break in the day is a blessing for everyone. Chances are he will nap in the stroller so you can enjoy some quiet time at the parks while he sleeps as an options if you guys decide to marathon the day.

MK is great and your son will be able to ride most of the rides, minus the mountains, Stich. So plenty to keep you busy. My kids love AK because of the animals, they also love the Nemo show and Lion King. Only trouble we had was they got restless waiting for the shows to start but every kid is different so you might be ok. DHS wasn't the greatest when they were younger but does have a few things for them. Epcot they enjoy the rides in FW but I can imagine WS bores them, lol.

Universal is a bit different than a day at Disney with the little one. There are some rides and shows but we didn't go there as much when they were younger since Disney offered them more IMO. But being in your shoes I would most certainly go at least 2 days to Uni since things have evolved so much since your last visit. Take advantage of baby swap and single riders and you shouldn't have a problem hitting everything.

Almost every vacation we have done since the birth of our son in 2011 has been a Theme Park vacation and we have loved making these memories with him. Yes doing the parks with a Infant or Toddler is much different then doing it with only adults. But its still awesome in new ways. We did WDW and UOR with our son at 7 months old, Disneyland and Universal Hollywood at 14 Months, UOR and a Cruise at 24 Months, WDW and UOR at 32 Months, and just got back from UOR again with him at 38 Months. We became Universal Annual Pass Holders when we did the Cruise but as as you can see we have taken him with us to Universal at many different stages.

I would say that while its important that you do stuff to keep your young Toddler entertained you also shouldn't sacrifice keeping yourself entertained ether. So don't miss out on many of the great adult attractions because you have a Toddler. My wife and I both like Universals Child Swap system compared to Disney's.

At Disney's you walk up to the attraction entrance and ask for a Rider Swap Card. The person riding then enters the Standby (Or Fastpass if you have a Fastpass+ booked) and waits to go on the attraction while the other parent or child wait outside or go do something else. After the parent has waited in line and rode the ride and meets back up with the family the waiting parent then takes the Rider Swap Card and waits there turn to ride in the Fastpass Line (they do not go standby). The biggest advantage to Disney's system is the waiting parent can take the child to do something else while waiting. If used right with Fastpass+ reservations you can esentially get two Rider Swap cards that are good to be reused within 30 days (a change that came with fastpass+). So that basically gives you an additional 2 fastpasses for a repeat attraction.

At Universal the entire party will wait in the Standby (or Express if you have it) line. Be warned that this will get you a bunch of WTF looks from people who truely believe your going to try and take that Infant on the Mummy. Annoying Guest looks aside when you get to the load area Universal has a Child Swap room nearby where a Parent and the child go to wait while the other Parent goes on the ride. Once done that parent goes in to the Child Swap room to wait with the child while the other parent goes on the line with practically no wait at all. So at Universal you are able to get thru the attractions quicker as you don't have to rewait in a line.

You asked above and I can verify that Yes you can use Single Rider with Child Swap. My wife and I do it all the time. All of you go in to Single Rider then at the Load area the waiting parent and Child are sent to the Child Swap room. You both are still riding as Single Riders so its fine. The only attraction that you cannot do this on is Escape from Gringotts as the que setup to get to the Child Swap room is opposite that of the Single Rider Line.

The Bad thing about Universals Child Swap is that there are people who abuse it. While waiting in Child Swap rooms I have seen countless people come up thru the attraction exit and enter the Child Swap Room. They wait for a minute or two then there whole party goes to the ride load area as if they had been waiting. Once in Forbidden Journey I saw some people do this and a team of Universal Security came running up the steps to wait for them to return from the ride. I have also seen people who do have children and have waited in the line. But in Child Swap they don't just take one ride each. They take multiple rides switching off one after another giving themselves 5 rides on the Forbidden Journey without rewaiting to ride.

Because of people trying to take advantage of the Child Swap we noticed a new program in place while visiting in December. We don't know if its a trial or fully implemented but many attractions gave us a piece of paper to turn back in when the waiting parent returned to ride. Some attractions gave us the Slip right at the entrance. Others gave it to us in the Load area before splitting our group. I see the advantage of the slip by cutting down on the cheaters. But it kinda sucked too as some attractions my wife would just walk up the exit and wait in the Child Swap room while I waited in the regular line.

Remember that your schedule will be determined by the Child. This made our Disney days much more difficult then it did our Universal days as we just wing whatever we are doing at Universal. Although Universal Doesn't have much for kids we have always had a great time with our child. Just give them plenty of time to run around the play areas and do rides that they can do every now and then as well. know your child's boundaries as well. Although our son could go in the Terminator Show he never has. Although he has done fine on Disaster and Twister. Take it slower and make sure you keep him feed, hydrated, and rested when they want to.

I know every child and family is different but below are the links to the trip reports i've wrote from our time at the parks with him. The early ones could give you an idea of touring with a Infant/Toddler around your kids age. If you have any other questions then please ask and I will try to answer as quickly as I can.

(Sorry for the links to Disboards. I've just now realized I haven't finished some of my Trip Reports i've shared here as well. Sorry everyone)

Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando (7 month Old Child):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918943

Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood (14 month Old Child):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3034271

Universal Orlando and Caribbean Cruise (24 month Old Child):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3211288

Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando (32 month Old Child):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3304482

Sorry I haven't started the one for my most recent trip yet.

Wow you guys are awesome...it's much appreciated. As I make progress in my planning I'll be sure to ask any more questions here. The Child Swap at Universal definitely sounds more attractive than the system at Disney to me.

Can't believe I leave on Monday for vacation....wait....actually I can. I don't think I'll be planning that far in advance next time, the waiting has been tough. I ended up doing 4 day park hopper for Disney and 1 day PTP for Uni.

Travel day doing Epcot in afternoon until night. Tuesday MK. We have reservation for breakfast at Ohana and lunch at Be Our Guest. I tried to avoid scheduling FP+ around the usual time our son naps. Wer picked Ariel, Peter Pan, and Buzz. Wednesday is Uni day! Can't wait...and we have some family members spending the first 3 days with us so I'm planning on them being a big help. Since they are not doing Universal, do you think there is enough to keep them occupied in City Walk while we are in the park? I'm hoping to bring our son out of the park and have them watch him mid-day while we tackle some of the adult rides for a couple hours. Any food recommendations in City Walk? Can you make reservations in advance?

Animal Kingdom Thursday and mayve Hollywood Studios afterwards to get use of the park hopper. Finally MK again Friday with FP+ for Pooh, Mickey M&G, and Its a small world. Lunch at Liberty Tavern.

Finishing out the weekend in Clearwater for some R&R. :smiley:

Citywalk doesn't have a lot to do outside of restaurants and nightclubs. Mini golf and the movies is all there is during the day. I'd recommend they catch lunch and play golf at Citywalk then go check out the stuff on I-Drive. The Orlando Eye, Sea Life, and Madam Tussaud's just opened. At CityWalk, Red Oven is a great place to eat. I enjoyed Cowfish when I had it, but I don't know if service has improved.

Last edited: