Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So local new around here WESH finally catches on and our site has made it in the news with a link!!!

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/30096491/detail.html

Work Points To Chance Of New Universal Nighttime Show

Construction On Lagoon Raises Questions

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Strange things are afoot at Universal Studios Florida.

All signs seem to point to the idea that Universal may unveil a new nighttime lagoon show in the near future.

"Universal 360 – A Cinesphere Spectacular" premiered at the theme park in summer of 2006. The show features 30-foot-tall spheres on the park's lagoon that serve as projection screens.

In recent months, those sphere barges have disappeared from the lagoon. Now, they're back, sitting on the sidelines of the lagoon, but in a reconfigured fashion.

The barges are now rectangular, not square. The spheres are gone; tall truss structures now take their place. Recent photos of the new barges taken by Orlando United show that work is still clearly under way.

Could a document filed with the county provide more proof that a new show (or at least a major revamp) is in the works? In October, Universal filed a notice of commencement for a technical director's booth at Richter's Burger Company.

Notices of commencement are legal notices to the county that work is about to begin on a piece of property. A "technical director's booth" could refer to a show's control room. The question then is why Universal would need such a facility in a burger joint. Richter's does, however, provide one of the best vantage points of the entire lagoon.

Theme park fan sites are aflutter with the idea of a new show. Sources told one site, Screamscape, that a French company, Aquatique Show International, is working with Universal on water effects. Photos taken by Florida Thrills of the construction actually show the word "Aquatique" on a piece of equipment on the refurbished barges.

According to Aquatique's website, the company has worked with hot spots like Disneyland Paris, SeaWorld Florida and Celine Dion's show at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

There's no word yet from park officials detailing what exactly is under way. An email to a park spokesman Thursday wasn't immediately returned. We'll update this story when we hear back.

Whatever "it" is, it's one of several major projects in progress at the park. In August, Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast closed for good to make way for a new "Despicable Me"-themed attraction. On Jan. 2, Jaws will sail its last ill-fated boat tour. The attraction, one of the park's originals, is closing to make way for a yet-to-be-announced addition.

What do you think? What would you like to see out of a nighttime show at Universal Orlando Resort?

Reactions: BJCool and Felipe
Go OU! :thumbs:

I forgot to mention, I went to Uni yesterday afternoon (I was in IoA for an hour or so), and on my way out, maybe around 10:30 or 11pm, I saw news trucks for both WESH 2 (NBC) and Local 6 News (CBS) sitting outside of the entrance to the parking lots. I just didn't know why they were there...

The question then is why Universal would need such a facility in a burger joint.
Hmm why does Universal need to technically direct its burgers?
The control room for UNI360 was in the same spot if I remember correctly...they are merely rebuilding it for the new show...

So local new around here WESH finally catches on and our site has made it in the news with a link!!!

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/30096491/detail.html

hey I did too, my first link (outside of guide) and it's Orlando based too! Guess they finally wanted to join the speculation with that announcement coming soon. Or one of their reporters noticed it at the park and did a good search.

Not much done in the past week. They did get a few more pieces of steel up for the control room.

LS-27.jpg

I don't believe these were wired in last week.

LS-28.jpg

Last edited:
From El Screamscape-o

According to a few sources, some of the equipment being set up for Universal’s new Lagoon show may feature unique water nozzles allowing for shapes and patterns to be formed in the water dropping from above. Perhaps something similar to the water displays from Aquatique seen in the video embedded below. Looks like they can do just about anything Universal would want to do with water and enough money, so the sky may be the limit as to what we can expect to see.

Not much done in the past week. They did get a few more pieces of steel up for the control room.

LS-27.jpg

Duh... until I looked at this picture, I had no idea that the name 'Richter' Burger meant something. I just thought it was a German immigrant name of a burger joint that existed in San Fran.

Yesterday they floated one of the barges out on the lagoon for a while.

Direct link to picture: http://twitpic.com/83j186

Ehhhh, Disney's World of Color has an elevating platform, and I can see why the designers thought it was a good idea. If these are just left out all the time and not housed during the day elsewhere in the park, they'll be a bigger eyesore than HRRR. Though, I'm still super excited at the prospect of the new nighttime show (never stayed for cinesphere).

Ehhhh, Disney's World of Color has an elevating platform, and I can see why the designers thought it was a good idea. If these are just left out all the time and not housed during the day elsewhere in the park, they'll be a bigger eyesore than HRRR. Though, I'm still super excited at the prospect of the new nighttime show (never stayed for cinesphere).

While I agree they aren't the best looking things in the world, I wouldn't say there's really any sightlines in the back of the park that they'll ruin.

Gotta agree with this, for now... :lol:

Is it though? What views will they really be ruining?

I love USF, but one of its biggest flaws is that it really doesn't have all that great of visuals like most of the other parks do.

Status
Not open for further replies.