Universal Express Survey | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Express Survey

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In the latest edition of Universal News, the Universal TM newsletter, there is info regarding preview opportunities for team members to try out the (now inevitable?) ride reservation system that features an "interactive pager".

iQbetcnt22tcb.jpg

I wonder if this will have any effect on the Express privileges you get from the on-site hotels... I hope not, because that's the only form of Express I would ever hold.

Really, I see this as creating a Huge Mess for people and if they imply this same policy for the hotels then they will see the occupancy drop drastically. It great to see Universal stoop so low with Six Flags. What are they thinking. They must of got a sweet heart deal to go with Lo-Q as the current Express pass really does not cost that much expect for the scanner to scan the hotel card and pass. I hate this!!!!!

^So......even if they do change it to where hotel guests must also use the beeper thing, it will at least still be included in the price of their stay?

So how does a "ride reservation" work? And how could it possibly be any better than the current Express system, where you enter the line at anytime you like?

So how does a "ride reservation" work? And how could it possibly be any better than the current Express system, where you enter the line at anytime you like?

Well, since it is deemed a "ride reservation", my first instinct is that is akin to FastPass methods in that you have to physically make an effort to say you want Express access for said attraction, wait a while, and THEN go through the Express entrance after spending your time elsewhere in the park. However, the key difference between Disney's FastPass methods and Lo-Q's Q-Bot device is that you can make your ride reservation from anywhere in the park, rather than having to physically walk to it, receive a ticket stub, and then come back later. I surmise that this is sort of like making dinner reservations on a smartphone, like I typically do for Les Chefs des France while I'm still in Future World at Epcot.

In fact, there is a page on the Lo-Q website which compared the Q-Bot device to a FastPass-like ticketing system:
Comparison of Paper Tickets and the Q-Bot

Paper Tickets
Paper tickets are only applicable if you are not concerned with these characteristics:

• Obvious front of line tickets cause other guests to become annoyed
  • Tickets cannot maximise penetration
  • Tickets cannot cope with ride down time
  • Bunching can occur at ride entrances
  • The technology is dated and could create the wrong image
Conclusion: - Paper Tickets are inflexible and have many difficulties

Q-Bot
The Q-bot system has been designed specifically for theme parks and is in high volume use:

• There are no messaging costs with a Lo-Q system
  • Q-bots are very simple to use
  • Q-bots are customisable to your parks environment
  • The Lo-Q system offers true virtual queuing
  • There are no hidden costs for guests or park
  • Q-bots can generate spectacular revenue
Conclusion: - Q-bots are best for theme parks with multiple attractions

This is the product overview:
Q-bot_logo_large.jpg

Park visitors can rent our small hand-held units to reserve their rides. Our flexible system provides true virtual queuing and any number of levels of wait discount services.

True virtual queuing means that our computer schedules ride times or shows in such a way that the guest using the Q-bot waits the same time as other guests. The guest benefits by no longer having to stand in line and is therefore free to enjoy other attractions, visit a retail outlet or restaurant or just relax. Because ALL guests wait the same amount of time for their rides, the presence of a standard Lo-Q system does not noticeably impact the queue dynamics.

Guests pay charges for Q-bots to avoid the physical queues so while they are waiting for rides they will be enjoying the park and are more likely to be spending money in the gift shops, restaurants or on arcade games. There will be other advantages for park owners including a happier customer - which means returning customers - and increasing guest loyalty.

When guests make a reservation using their Q-bot, the system registers that person or group into a virtual queue. Guests are informed via the Q-bot display with a beep and vibrate when their ride is ready. In addition, the Lo-Q system can inform users of ride breakdowns and allow re-scheduling of reservations.

And this is the companies more lengthy breakdown of what how the system benefits both park guests and park operators:
Here are the key features and benefits for guests and operators:

Good for guests

• Wait the same time, don’t stand in line - true virtual queuing is fair to all - regular Q-bot users wait the same time as regular visitors. Q-bot provides a way to be in a queue for rides and shows, without physically being in the queue line
  • Reserve a ride from anywhere in the park - visitors can rent a Q-bot for up to six people. The Q-bot displays a list of the available rides and their wait times so reserving a ride is simple from anywhere in the park
  • More time to relax with friends and family - while waiting for a ride, guests are free to spend their time as they choose, in restaurants and shops
  • Simple to use - with a click of a button, the Q-bot system allocates a place in the chosen ride queue line. The Q-bot beeps and vibrates tolet them know they can proceed to the dedicated ride entrance. The Q-bot can also interact with a touch screen kiosk to make priority seat reservations for shows
  • Updates on cancellations and ride downtimes - the Q-bot can also let your visitor know if rides are temporarily out of use or if they wish to cancel a reservation
  • Special ‘gold card’ options - can be sold to fast-track guests onto the most popular rides
Good for parks

• Increase your customer satisfaction - ensure your visitors have a more enjoyable experience and spend more time in the shops and restaurants than in queues
  • Create a new revenue stream - the Q-bot enables you to create a new revenue stream for your venue and a hi-tech image
  • World wide product - the Q-bot has built in multilingual intelligence and the system has been approved for use in most major countries
  • Keep your customers up to date with events and offers - send park information messages, advertising and discount offers or under subscribed show reminders on the Q-bot. You can also gather realtime statistical information about your guests movements to help you plan new events and promotions
  • Customise your Q-bot to reflect your park’s theme - Q-bot can easily be customised to reflect your theme, branding or park character/mascot
  • Easy and fast to implement - the whole system is designed for fast installation and minimal training. Existing exits or disabled entrances can be used to access the ride. Visitors can also pre-book Q-bot through your website or in your hotels
  • Premium services - provide a fair for all service or tailor to provide multiple levels of privilege for visitors who are willing to pay more

Lastly, here is the best video explanation of the device I could find, as it talks about Q-Bot's use as the "Flash Pass" at Six Flags and goes into great detail about the ins and outs of the service:
[video=youtube;tArzTV9vl2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tArzTV9vl2I[/video]

Now that I've thought about it I really don't like this! What made Express appealing to people versus FastPass is that you skipped lines WHEN YOU WANTED TO, which to some people no matter the season is worth the cost of Express. This seems like a way of completely throwing away their current system in lieu of a more Disney FastPass system that involves a beeper device rather than ticket kiosks. And.....isn't Disney itself in the middle of axing or altering their current FastPass system with the whole NextGen fiasco?

Though, it seems that multiple levels of the service is made available by the manufacturer, but it's up to the park whether it decides to offer the variations of gold, platinum, etc. I guess we will just have to see how Uni is moving forward with the Q-Bot system, and hope they do what they truly believe is best for the customer and their best interests.

^Disney is switching to XPass, which is just a more expensive and probably more complicated ride reservation system. So now you wont be able to escape it soon in Orlando.

Universal HAS to have it tailored to how they've always offered Express. Unless it's in their best interest to offer a lower priced "standard" version where you really do wait the same time just not in line so that you're more likely to spend money (the entire reason FastPass came into play in the first place). But I'm guessing they'd have to have different levels. So standard (wait the same time not in line), plus (allowed once at each attraction anytime), and then unlimited.

Ugh. I do NOT want the QBot thing to replace the current onsite unlimited express. We used a QBot at Six Flags last year, and while it was better than not having the QBot, it in no way held a candle to the Onsite Unlimited Express we had at IOA in 2010.

I don't want to lug that beeper thing around with me all day. And I do not want to schedule my whole vacation, ride by ride, in advance. This would be a huge step backwards for UO. And onsite expense would certainly not be worth it anymore for me either if they do this. I can get a larger room offsite for a lot less if my only advantage to staying onsite is a short walk or boat ride in the mornings and evenings.

Agree completely. Walking into the express line whenever I want to is immeasurably better than having to reserve a spot, and then still wait the same amount of time as everyone else for a ride I'm wanting to ride right then. This would be an enormous step back for the on site hotels. It would be a step up for the regular guests, but it would eliminate the only incentive for on site guests to stay on site. This would be an absolutely stupid move. Guess there's a reason Comcast is voted last in customer service, huh?

Today was the day!

As the article from the TM newsletter below states, testing for the new system was conducted today and probably again tomorrow, as well.

iQbetcnt22tcb.jpg

The guys from Theme Park Review were in the park today and caught sight of a couple Team Members who had the Q-Bot device (typically dangling by their waists or off their wrists) :

ibvyhtQYGdTYD8.jpg

ibfQzshSdEFJvg.jpg

iEgySMslGuagk.jpg

if this replaces the current express system (not the hotel express) i wonder if Premier AP holders will still have the express perk. id be happy if we could have it all day again with the system being tested. thoughts?

The main selling point is people waiting in regular line have no idea how long qbot users have been waiting
So less complaints about "line skipping"
plus if it can tell express users to come back in a while (if they set the system to do it)
regular line may move faster
When express line fills they try to clear it first if some of those are told to wait 30 minutes
shorter express lines = faster regular lines

Reactions: Cecilia