Universal Great Britain | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
At this point I don’t think any local factors are standing in the way. It’s likely a matter of budget approval. And the current status of Epic Universe and whether or not it will be ready on time, forecasted to return profit by X date, and is pleasing investors, may play into a UK investment decision more than anything.

Just because Universal wants to build another resort doesn’t mean they have the budget approved yet to do so.

I've been following the EU construction updates but I'm not up to speed with the opening date and what not. Is there an actual chance it could have it's opening delayed? Or are we just at a point that people are unnecessarily nervous over things?

My thinking here is that if they are making a greenlight decision in June, then there must not be much internal turmoil about EU's opening and budgets etc etc. That's a very fast turnaround from the public consultation stage, especially considering the sheer size of the project and the budget that will be required.

I've been following the EU construction updates but I'm not up to speed with the opening date and what not. Is there an actual chance it could have it's opening delayed? Or are we just at a point that people are unnecessarily nervous over things?

My thinking here is that if they are making a greenlight decision in June, then there must not be much internal turmoil about EU's opening and budgets etc etc. That's a very fast turnaround from the public consultation stage, especially considering the sheer size of the project and the budget that will be required.
They're making a decision now because if they don't start soon they won't meet their current timeline goals. But they can't start until they get the greenlight from the money people.

It's entirely possible they decide not to go ahead CURRENTLY and sit on the land until they're in a better position to spend that kind of money.

It feels like they're prepared to get the greenlight though. And the target completion date is still 2030. But we shall see!

Reactions: Nico and xtpower
They're making a decision now because if they don't start soon they won't meet their current timeline goals. But they can't start until they get the greenlight from the money people.

It's entirely possible they decide not to go ahead CURRENTLY and sit on the land until they're in a better position to spend that kind of money.

It feels like they're prepared to get the greenlight though. And the target completion date is still 2030. But we shall see!

Ah gotcha. Well let's hope the money people give it the go ahead.

Here's PPU's newest video.

Loads going on over in the Lake Zone. I'm still confused by the farmer guy. Is he doing stuff for Universal or for himself?

I really want them to greenlight so I'll be able to closely follow a construction site like i did back when the Tottenham stadium was being built. Maybe we can persuade them to put up a webcam for us to follow like the Spurs stadium had. I absolutely love this stuff, just watching it grow over time and it's doubly so if the project means something to me personally.

Reactions: Altonsky
I really want them to greenlight so I'll be able to closely follow a construction site like i did back when the Tottenham stadium was being built. Maybe we can persuade them to put up a webcam for us to follow like the Spurs stadium had. I absolutely love this stuff, just watching it grow over time and it's doubly so if the project means something to me personally.
It’s probably too big of a site for a single webcam. I remember working on construction at Arsenal when they were building it. Good memories.

It’s probably too big of a site for a single webcam. I remember working on construction at Arsenal when they were building it. Good memories.

Well then a slew of webcams will have to be installed. Alicia, whatever super secret contacts at Universal you have, let them know that construction webcams are a must.

I will say I'm glad to be around you guys as we hopefully embark on a 6-7 year long odyssey with the UGB construction.

Reactions: Steeb and Nico
Just thinking about the greenlight decision in June and when we'll know if it is happening or not. I think if it is happening the first time we know is when the application for a SDO is posted and a date for the decision is listed. Well that is unless an insider tells us first, but I think sleuths finding the decision dates and planning documents will be our signs of stuff happening.

I don't know if I'm just a unrelenting optimist, but I'm not seeing stagnant Orlando numbers or a slight dip as being particularly bad for UGB. This is a brand new park in a brand new market, it might be looked at as a way to improve future revenue if the Orlando Parks stay flat. Then there's also the way it can act as a way to market the Orlando Parks to a whole new audience (though considering the price of Orlando holidays, I'm not seeing that bump being huge or anything).

That's also not even considering that Epic Universe could very well reenergise the appeal of the other Universal Parks in Orlando while also picking up the slack.

Reactions: Della
I’m no expert, but I don’t see anything in the quarterly report which might alarm shareholders. Overall, Comcast’s results were better than market expectations. In the theme park division the revenue for their domestic parks increased by a few percentage points over the same quarter last year; overall revenue for their international parks held steady, with increased income offset by currency exchange rate changes. None of that seems a cause for concern, and none of it would indicate a significant shift in consumer behaviour which might force a rethink of future investment plans.

Looking at Orlando I think this financial year is being compared to the previous financial year which was almost certainly boosted by pent-up demand as a result of the Covid travel restrictions. We had to twice postpone a family holiday to Orlando, eventually getting there during FY 2022-23. I’d guess that’s a relatively common tale. Similarly, we are delaying our next Orlando trip until Epic is open, probably until 2026. I’d guess that there’s a not insignificant number of families doing the same, so this year’s attendance is likely to be somewhat depressed as people hold back.

All of that seems to reflect the normal ebb and flow of Comcast’s businesses. No unexpected and significant change in consumer behaviour, no unforeseen barriers to their business model. So I can’t see any concern about future investment plans that Comcast had.

But keep your fingers crossed there’s not another pandemic…