Universal Great Britain | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I do hope so, the Studios theme is not my favourite. USF feels pretty sterile compared to IoA. Having seen a few videos of Universl Beijing the Hollywood theming at the entrance to the park seems distinctly second rate compared to the wonderful Port of Entry in IoA.
I actually quite like the Hollywood theme as it is essentially where Universal comes from. I get that it’s not as fantasy inspiring as IOA or EU. But those parks came afterwards and represent the evolution of Universal.

Makes a good Main Street in the non-stateside parks

I've always felt a hybrid approach is the way to go. The Hollywood main street scratches that classic Universal Parks itch without the park being let down by having a bunch of soundstages that hurt immersion (that would have no logical reason to be present). Then you move onto the completely immersive 'Worlds' that are the new Universal experience. Best of both worlds so to speak.

But the 'Studios' moniker shouldn't be present, especially if it's not going to be having the soundstages you associate with Studios and adding said soundstages would be mistake imo. After all Universal has Borehamwood for their Movie/TV studios in the UK, they have no reason to be putting them in what is just a Theme Park - would be a waste of money imo.

Reactions: Chessy and Jake S
I've always felt a hybrid approach is the way to go. The Hollywood main street scratches that classic Universal Parks itch without the park being let down by having a bunch of soundstages that hurt immersion (that would have no logical reason to be present). Then you move onto the completely immersive 'Worlds' that are the new Universal experience. Best of both worlds so to speak.
Agreed.
But the 'Studios' moniker shouldn't be present
The first park for each resort so far always is named it. Beijing is set up this way. Hollywood style studio park up front, IOA in the back. Same Universal Studios name.

Makes a good Main Street in the non-stateside parks
Functionally it’s no different to Port of Entry in IoA, a range of shops and eateries, guest services, etc. But Port of Entry is wonderful, evocative, immersive. That Hollywood pastiche in Beijing looks like a cheap knock-off of Disney’s Main Street. After the standards set by IoA and what I hope Epic Universe will be, Beijing’s entry zone looks like a determined step backwards in immersive place-making.

I hope for better.

For me, more than anything I want that Hollywood Main Street type thing because it will allow Universal to place rides/attractions based around classic Universal Rides - so Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Kong, Jaws, E.T etc etc. Also, I'm not seeing an issue with it from an immersion standpoint, if Universal put in the effort they can make it every bit as good as the Port of Entry for IOA.

For me, more than anything I want that Hollywood Main Street type thing because it will allow Universal to place rides/attractions based around classic Universal Rides - so Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Kong, Jaws, E.T etc etc. Also, I'm not seeing an issue with it from an immersion standpoint, if Universal put in the effort they can make it every bit as good as the Port of Entry for IOA.
If Universal’s idea of a world class theme park for the UK is to bring back rides and attractions based on 30 year old films, even if those attractions are updated from the originals, I’m going to have to rethink my plans to get annual passes! Surely they can do better?! Actually, we know they can do better, we just need to look at Epic Universe and IoA.

Wanted something different is understandable but to say it’s a step backwards In immersion doesn’t really make any sense to me.
When I enter Universal Studios in Orlando it’s a ‘non-experience’ for me, I just hurry along the 100 metres without paying attention to what’s there, mainly because there’s not much there to actually see. When I enter Islands of Adventure I’m transfixed by the Port of Entry, there’s so much to see and discover, layer upon layer of detail telling the stories of the characters who inhabit that fantastical place. It sets the scene for the adventures that await, immersing you in a new place.

It’s an entirely different experience entering those two parks, which is why I think the entry to Universal Beijing is so disappointing, indeed, a step backwards in theme park design compared to what we know Universal Creative can create.

When I enter Universal Studios in Orlando it’s a ‘non-experience’ for me, I just hurry along the 100 metres without paying attention to what’s there, mainly because there’s not much there to actually see. When I enter Islands of Adventure I’m transfixed by the Port of Entry, there’s so much to see and discover, layer upon layer of detail telling the stories of the characters who inhabit that fantastical place. It sets the scene for the adventures that await, immersing you in a new place.

It’s an entirely different experience entering those two parks, which is why I think the entry to Universal Beijing is so disappointing, indeed, a step backwards in theme park design compared to what we know Universal Creative can create.
I'm the opposite I love the movie feel universal Orlando has.

If Universal’s idea of a world class theme park for the UK is to bring back rides and attractions based on 30 year old films, even if those attractions are updated from the originals, I’m going to have to rethink my plans to get annual passes! Surely they can do better?! Actually, we know they can do better, we just need to look at Epic Universe and IoA.
You'd rethink your plans if a handful of rides are based on old movies? Because all signs are indicating that the majority of the park will be immersive worlds with heavyweight IP's and brand new rides/attractions. Even those old films will have fresh new rides otherwise that whole cloned rides bit would be broken.

I think you have to separate your thoughts on USF on what UGB will be. USF even with renovations and changes is still a Park that opened as a Studio backlot basically, yea it's changed over the years but it still has that backlot foundation. UGB regardless of what they do will be a brand new Park with the same sort of thought and attention EU is getting.

Also, as much as USB is the newest Park it was still a collaboration and as such creative details and ideas will be unique to that Park. Epic Universe is the Park that you should be comparing to what UGB will be . You just have to understand that it will need a bit of the old Universal nostalgia (just a little mind) just because this is a brand new market and Universal will wanna tap into that nostalgia.

So in conslusion whatever thoughts you have about USF and it's entrance, they aren't applicable here.

Reactions: Steeb and OrlLover
Inevitably there’s going to be a limit on the number of major rides and attractions which will be present on opening day. I’d rather see something unique and forward looking set within the park’s main ‘IP lands’ than rides which hark back to the old Studios theme of USF. It would be a missed opportunity, in my opinion. I really hope we won’t have a nostalgia park, not least because I don’t think the typical guests at Universal GB will be especially motivated by that kind of experience.

We’ll have to amicably disagree on whether my thoughts on USF entry zone are applicable or not. If Beijing didn’t have its Hollywood entrance I’d agree with you, but in the most recent park that Universal opened they’ve essentially done the same thing as USF, just a bit prettier except for the ugly canopy over the top of it. Compare that with Port of Entry, what we think Celestial Park will be like, or the harbour entrance in Tokyo DisneySea which is step up again. I think we’ll be a little bit shortchanged compared to that level of immersive place-making if our park is a copy of what Beijing has.

Rob, I really think you're misinterpreting me here, I'm not talking about a 'nostalgia Park' but purely a handful of rides, 1-2 even. The Park is going to be a Epic Universe type with Immersive Worlds, they'll just in my opinion have a nostalgia based main street. I'm not even sure I'm correct, no-one knows what Universal is gonna do outside of Universal themselves.

Again USF is not applicable purely because that's a Park originally designed as a Studio backlot and no amount of changes or renovations can change that. As for Beijing I don't think that truly applies either, it was not developed and built by Universal on their own.

Universal Beijing Resort is developed, constructed and operated by Beijing International Resort Co., Ltd., a joint venture that is 70 percent owned by Beijing Shouhuan Cultural Tourism Investment Co., Ltd., and 30 percent owned by Universal Parks & Resorts, a business unit of Comcast NBCUniversal.

I think until we get some tangible idea on how Universal will design the Park, I we all need to put to rest any worries or fears. You seem to be overly focused on this entrance being disappointing and that the rest of the Park will be in the same vein. I understand I have a habit of doing that too, but I think this doesn't warrant such thinking.

Rob, I really think you're misinterpreting me here, I'm not talking about a 'nostalgia Park' but purely a handful of rides, 1-2 even. The Park is going to be a Epic Universe type with Immersive Worlds, they'll just in my opinion have a nostalgia based main street. I'm not even sure I'm correct, no-one knows what Universal is gonna do outside of Universal themselves.

Again USF is not applicable purely because that's a Park originally designed as a Studio backlot and no amount of changes or renovations can change that. As for Beijing I don't think that truly applies either, it was not developed and built by Universal on their own.

I think until we get some tangible idea on how Universal will design the Park, I we all need to put to rest any worries or fears. You seem to be overly focused on this entrance being disappointing and that the rest of the Park will be in the same vein. I understand I have a habit of doing that too, but I think this doesn't warrant such thinking.
How many major rides and attractions do you think we’ll get on opening day? I’d guess about 10, some of which will be e-tickets. If one 1 or 2 of those are nostalgic rides, recreating Jaws for example or a BTTF simulator, that might be a significant proportion of what we have on offer. I’m simply expressing the hope that Universal look forward, not backwards, in their attraction choices.

As others have speculated in this thread, my best guess for USGB is that the entrance zone to the park will be very similar to Beijing. An 800-room hotel over the park entrance and a Hollywood-themed Main Street. I’m sure Universal Creative won’t skimp on the design, but in my opinion that faux-recreation of reality is fundamentally limited in the opportunities for immersive place-making compared to creating fantastical environments like Port of Entry. Hence my opinion that duplicating the Beijing entrance won’t be as good as the now 25-year old entrance to Islands of Adventure. Just personal opinion, of course, no right or wrong about this. What they do in the front half of the park doesn’t limit what they do in the back half of the park, but I’d so love to have my breath taken away when I enter USGB like I do when I enter IoA, even now after multiple visits since it first opened in 1999.

Reactions: pbin
What would your ideal park look like?
You'd rethink your plans if a handful of rides are based on old movies? Because all signs are indicating that the majority of the park will be immersive worlds with heavyweight IP's and brand new rides/attractions. Even those old films will have fresh new rides otherwise that whole cloned rides bit would be broken.

I think you have to separate your thoughts on USF on what UGB will be. USF even with renovations and changes is still a Park that opened as a Studio backlot basically, yea it's changed over the years but it still has that backlot foundation. UGB regardless of what they do will be a brand new Park with the same sort of thought and attention EU is getting.

Also, as much as USB is the newest Park it was still a collaboration and as such creative details and ideas will be unique to that Park. Epic Universe is the Park that you should be comparing to what UGB will be . You just have to understand that it will need a bit of the old Universal nostalgia (just a little mind) just because this is a brand new market and Universal will wanna tap into that nostalgia.

So in conslusion whatever thoughts you have about USF and it's entrance, they aren't applicable here.
USF opened in 1990 and in some ways still has that feel to it. I don’t why he would assume that Uni Creative would go that route at a park that might potentially open in 2030.

How many major rides and attractions do you think we’ll get on opening day? I’d guess about 10, some of which will be e-tickets. If one 1 or 2 of those are nostalgic rides, recreating Jaws for example or a BTTF simulator, that might be a significant proportion of what we have on offer. I’m simply expressing the hope that Universal look forward, not backwards, in their attraction choices.

As others have speculated in this thread, my best guess for USGB is that the entrance zone to the park will be very similar to Beijing. An 800-room hotel over the park entrance and a Hollywood-themed Main Street. I’m sure Universal Creative won’t skimp on the design, but in my opinion that faux-recreation of reality is fundamentally limited in the opportunities for immersive place-making compared to creating fantastical environments like Port of Entry. Hence my opinion that duplicating the Beijing entrance won’t be as good as the now 25-year old entrance to Islands of Adventure. Just personal opinion, of course, no right or wrong about this. What they do in the front half of the park doesn’t limit what they do in the back half of the park, but I’d so love to have my breath taken away when I enter USGB like I do when I enter IoA, even now after multiple visits since it first opened in 1999.

20% doesn't sound so bad to me and that's just my wishcasting. There's no real weight behind my thoughts, we probably won't get any nostalgia rides, probably just a nostalgia show or even just nostalgia based little shows in the street and meet and greets. Please don't take my ideas and opinions as those that will end up happening, I'm spitballing here. Now if @Tomfoolery or someone like that jumps in and corroborates then yea expect it to happen, but me on my own? Nah, I don't know jack.

What would your ideal park look like?

USF opened in 1990 and in some ways still has that feel to it. I don’t why he would assume that Uni Creative would go that route at a park that might potentially open in 2030.
It would look more like IoA than USF. It would look more like Epic Universe (I think/hope) than Universal Studios Beijing. But what I’m expecting to see is much closer to Beijing than IoA/Epic.

If someone was fool enough to give me a job doing this I’d drop the “Studios” from Universal Studios, and call the park Universal Great Britain (although I appreciate that’s very problematic given that the brand is principally “Universal Studios”). This would then free me of any need to design for behind/inside the movies, instead focusing on immersive, fantastical IP-based lands (exactly like they did with IoA and are doing with Epic Universe). My entry plaza would be the opposite of faux-reality, something exotic to immediately immerse you in an adventurous world far, far away from your drive to the park along the M1. Then a series of IP lands, with a personal wish list of LoTR, Potter, Jurassic World and Super Nintendo.

The only reason why I think Universal Creative might go down the road of designing a park entrance which has close similarity with USF is that’s exactly what they’ve done in Beijing in the last couple of years.

It would look more like IoA than USF. It would look more like Epic Universe (I think/hope) than Universal Studios Beijing. But what I’m expecting to see is much closer to Beijing than IoA/Epic.

If someone was fool enough to give me a job doing this I’d drop the “Studios” from Universal Studios, and call the park Universal Great Britain (although I appreciate that’s very problematic given that the brand is principally “Universal Studios”). This would then free me of any need to design for behind/inside the movies, instead focusing on immersive, fantastical IP-based lands (exactly like they did with IoA and are doing with Epic Universe). My entry plaza would be the opposite of faux-reality, something exotic to immediately immerse you in an adventurous world far, far away from your drive to the park along the M1. Then a series of IP lands, with a personal wish list of LoTR, Potter, Jurassic World and Super Nintendo.

The only reason why I think Universal Creative might go down the road of designing a park entrance which has close similarity with USF is that’s exactly what they’ve done in Beijing in the last couple of years.
I mean that’s a good point but that’s in the past and several things have happened since Beijing opened.

In particular leadership changes and other notable executives retiring. What direction Creative may take is still to be determined considering it hasn’t been approved yet.

Having realistic expectations about this project is that this their first park in the European market.

Do you they really need stray so much from their branding that it fails to deliver that Universal experience?

I mean that’s a good point but that’s in the past and several things have happened since Beijing opened.

In particular leadership changes and other notable executives retiring. What direction Creative may take is still to be determined considering it hasn’t been approved yet.

Having realistic expectations about this project is that this their first park in the European market.

Do you they really need stray so much from their branding that it fails to deliver that Universal experience?
Hope that’s the case, especially if changes in creative leadership mean that we don’t echo Beijing as much as I currently think we will (big chunks of that park disappoint me). If they go all guns blazing for their first European park, and give Universal Creative a blank piece of paper to design the park then we’ll be in great shape.

Obviously IoA and Epic have strayed far from the original approach of USH and USF. That’s something I entirely applaud; without Diagon Alley in USF I don’t think we’d bother to spend any time in that park. I was a bit underwhelmed by USH, although my last visit pre-dates their Wizarding World so I guess it’s changed a fair bit. On the other hand, IoA is my ‘happy place’, so that’s the approach I’d like to see near me. Ditch the ‘Studios’ design language, go all out in creating fantastical worlds.

Reactions: OrlLover and Della
Yea, they made a ton of money but the quality compared to the OG trilogy was lacking. I think the Hobbit films alone wouldn't have hurt LOTR much, but then Amazon came along and made Rings of Power and that's hurt the perception of LOTR a whole lot. So our want for a LOTR area is kinda make or break on how the new films do - a huge failure will probably kill it dead.
Jackson admits he didn't really have the time to do the Hobbit films justice. After the original director bailed (because of all the delays caused by rights) he had a much more limited time span to restructure the films. Remember, he had 10 years to work on LoTR and 2 for Hobbits