Universal Great Britain | Page 96 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, I've actually had a thought about the "No clones" and "Make it different from UOR" mandate that seems to be on this Park, in that I actually feel it may go beyond the rides themselves, and also into the theming

Alongside not having any cloned attractions, I feel like even if they copy some IPs like Minions or Nintendo, they'll go for different areas that lend to unique theming compared to what's in Orlando.

Consider how much of a big thing theming and immersiveness is in Universal's lands and attractions nowadays, Epic Universe in it's intro video from January put ideas like "Immersive Storytelling" and whatnot at the forefront when describing what Universal do with their parks, it's a big draw to the Parks alongside the actual rides themselves, especially with lands like Super Nintendo World and the Wizarding Worlds which emphasise interactive elements. So this makes me think that they'll try to go for very unique theming in the different areas, even with familiar IPs, as to stick to that rule of offering a unique experience from UOR

For example, Jurassic World could work for this given that the aesthetic of Jurassic World and Jurassic Park and the lands they inspire are different (With World having an emphasis on the sleek, modern looking blue and grey technology compared to Park), even if they both take from tropical jungle environments, so it's offering a unique experience alongside the new offerings

I may be thinking too much into the supposed mandate, but these are my thoughts

So, I've actually had a thought about the "No clones" and "Make it different from UOR" mandate that seems to be on this Park, in that I actually feel it may go beyond the rides themselves, and also into the theming

Alongside not having any cloned attractions, I feel like even if they copy some IPs like Minions or Nintendo, they'll go for different areas that lend to unique theming compared to what's in Orlando.

Consider how much of a big thing theming and immersiveness is in Universal's lands and attractions nowadays, Epic Universe in it's intro video from January put ideas like "Immersive Storytelling" and whatnot at the forefront when describing what Universal do with their parks, it's a big draw to the Parks alongside the actual rides themselves, especially with lands like Super Nintendo World and the Wizarding Worlds which emphasise interactive elements. So this makes me think that they'll try to go for very unique theming in the different areas, even with familiar IPs, as to stick to that rule of offering a unique experience from UOR

For example, Jurassic World could work for this given that the aesthetic of Jurassic World and Jurassic Park and the lands they inspire are different (With World having an emphasis on the sleek, modern looking blue and grey technology compared to Park), even if they both take from tropical jungle environments, so it's offering a unique experience alongside the new offerings

I may be thinking too much into the supposed mandate, but these are my thoughts
The Minion Land areas in Japan and Beijing look nothing like what we have in Orlando, so I would look to examples like that for "clones" lands without breaking the Orlando rule—where the design motif of other parks around the world are very different from the variations in Orlando.

And I agree, Jurassic World in Beijing is the perfect land design to port over to the UK park, as it doesn't look anything like the land in IOA.

Reactions: Nico and Steeb
I’ve been a party to some discussions recently (unrelated to this project), the studio tour has a pretty extensive exclusivity area way beyond Bedford.

I’m very confident on no HP.
As Potter has become synonymous with Universal parks I wonder if the public would be dissatisfied if it opened with no Potter?

As Potter has become synonymous with Universal parks I wonder if the public would be dissatisfied if it opened with no Potter?

They will, for a short while and then it will blow over.

Especially considering that people expect a Universal esc Hogsmede with rides at the Watford tour (which is not going to happen).

As long as there is enough recognisable IP that can take people by surprise they’ll be fine.

The Minion Land areas in Japan and Beijing look nothing like what we have in Orlando, so I would look to examples like that for "clones" lands without breaking the Orlando rule—where the design motif of other parks around the world are very different from the variations in Orlando.

And I agree, Jurassic World in Beijing is the perfect land design to port over to the UK park, as it doesn't look anything like the land in IOA.
For Minions I just hope they do something different than rehash Minion Mayhem for the umpteenth time. the DM IP has a lot of potential for a variety of dark ride styles.
Singapore doesn't have potter either and I don't think there was much outcry over that either.

I don't have a stake in this discussion but can we please not act like a 49 acre licensed Park in Singapore not getting Potter is the same thing as a British full-fat Park not getting Potter. Potter is probably the most famous British IP there is, it's an institution over here so to just handwave away the impact of it not being in the Park because 'Singapore didn't kick up much fuss' is absurd.

My only concern is that if we get no Potter, we need LOTR in it's place, that's my position on this. I'm not overly invested in Potter being in the Park but that's because I've got my eyes on an IP that's dear to my heart (LOTR) being in it's place.

But to act like the British public won't have problems with no Potter because Singapore didn't much care is way off the mark. There will be uproar, the Papers will certainly focus on it and the normies will be confused and frustrated. But as with all things if there's an equally loved IP in it's place these people will move on, it might take a while but they will.

Now, if Universal have no Potter and then there's nothing new to replace it? Oh boy, that will certainly cause issues.

Reactions: Della and Ludus
We’re over estimating how much of the British public know that ‘Harry Potter Land’ is in Universal parks.
Trust me, the Papers and social media will make sure those that aren't aware quickly become aware. I expect the Daily Mail will be all over this.

I know people have mentioned depending on the success of Wicked they could put that in this park, but Oz isn't as beloved outside of the US. Yes, they have Wicked in London, but in my opinion, Oz belongs in the states. LOTR seems more likely just because it's something long rumored and leaked plans are floating around I could see them dusting those off and putting it in. I don't think they have the time to wait on Wicked.

I know people have mentioned depending on the success of Wicked they could put that in this park, but Oz isn't as beloved outside of the US. Yes, they have Wicked in London, but in my opinion, Oz belongs in the states. LOTR seems more likely just because it's something long rumored and leaked plans are floating around I could see them dusting those off and putting it in. I don't think they have the time to wait on Wicked.
It wouldn’t be Wicked or LOTR. It would be Wicked and LOTR.

And I believe they’re blue skying Wicked attraction concepts for multiple parks, just in case it hits, so they can hit the ground running.

But ya know, they don’t have to build them if it doesn’t, hit.

I'm here mainly cos I'm interested in the local build and impacts. I had no idea HP was a Universal thing (n=1).

While I agree the Daily Mail can be relied upon to come up with the worst possible take on any given situation, I think even they would accept that local exclusivity for HP being with the studio tour (posited above) is an acceptable reason for it not to be present.

Add a bit of flag waving for LOTR (a far superior IP in terms of quality and proven longevity and of which HP, like much modern fantasy, is highly derivative) and I reckon we're gravy.

They will, for a short while and then it will blow over.

Especially considering that people expect a Universal esc Hogsmede with rides at the Watford tour (which is not going to happen).
I’m just playing devils advocate and trying to think of it from the perspective of the general public rather than us on this forum. Or media corporations with IP rights.

We can understand WB wanting to protect their exclusivity but as we know there are no rides. Due to it being a studio tour experience and not a park. I can also understand if the price tag is too high then Universal won’t be interested in paying a fee for it. But at the same time it could be beneficial for both parties if they came to an agreement.

In other ways it could be good there’s no potter as they will put their effort into creating something brand new. It’s just a long waiting game for us to see what they’ll do.

If Universal can't get the theme park rights in the UK, they can't get the rights. Seems fairly straightforward.

For the vast majority of families in the UK I'd guess the association between Potter and Universal theme parks is pretty limited, so having a Universal Great Britain without a Wizarding World land will make virtually no difference. As for the Daily Mail, I forget, are they championing JK Rowling at the moment or wanting to give her a good kicking? They flip their position on the author fairly often, so the Mail's comments on the presence or absence of a Wizarding World will probably depend on their attitude to Rowling at the time (and for that and many other reasons, the Mail should be widely ignored).

I'm sure there will be some kids and some families who will be a bit disappointed if there's no Potter in the parks, my family will be, but if they can't get the rights they can't get the rights. That disappointment will be tempered to a significant extent if what else is in the park is truly world class. That, for me, is the key point. I like the Potter IP, but my main reason for loving the Wizarding World lands in Orlando is that the rides and attractions are amazing; the place-making is superb with layers of detail to explore and delight; the food options are in keeping with the theme; and the merchandise is rather fun. None of that is unique to the Potter IP, it's all to do with the investment in creativity from the Universal Creative team. If they put that same level of creativity in everything else they build in Bedford I won't care a jot about having to fly to Orlando to enjoy a visit to the Wizarding World.