Universal Great Britain | Page 119 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am on Windows with Chrome and the tab says the same as Rob@rar. Might be a glitch on your browser, perhaps the cache needs clearing out?
If you look at the metadata in the PDF file the "Title" field says "UniversalUKProject.LocalLetter.April2024" and the "File Name" field says "Universal-UK-Economic-assessment.-June2024.pdf". I'd guess the author (Ginger Martin?) used the local letter file as a template to get the logo correct, then added the new info from the economic case study and then renamed the file. The creation date for the file is 26 June.

Does this also confirm HHN now as well? It sounds like it.
I think the word “like” doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence. Has two meanings: is he listing things events could be like, or are these some of the events we’d see.

Whichever meaning you want to see, that’s what he means.

Also, that “…” removing some context to this quote.

IMG_1329.jpeg

I saw yesterday on Facebook reports that a Sky News helicopter had been spotted flying over the site at Bedford...
Having seen the Sky News piece the reports of the Sky News helicopter over the site yesterday were definitely correct, although they appear to have filmed mostly the wrong location, just south of the Universal land, I think. Perhaps the camera crew on the ground were also from Sky but they didn't use that footage?

I think the word “like” doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence. Has two meanings: is he listing things events could be like, or are these some of the events we’d see.
I agree with your interpretation, but does anyone think that Universal isn't going to go big on HHNs? Especially with the UK weather, seasonality of attendance is an issue for theme parks to cope with (which is why we don't yet have a year-round park), so doubling down on something popular during an autumnal October seems like an absolute given to me, especially with how much experience Universal have of getting those hard-ticket events right. Shortly to be followed by a huge Christmas season.

Reactions: xtpower and Steeb
I agree with your interpretation, but does anyone think that Universal isn't going to go big on HHNs? Especially with the UK weather, seasonality of attendance is an issue for theme parks to cope with (which is why we don't yet have a year-round park), so doubling down on something popular during an autumnal October seems like an absolute given to me, especially with how much experience Universal have of getting those hard-ticket events right. Shortly to be followed by a huge Christmas season.
Completely agree. Especially when you consider that Merlin lean into Halloween events. Seems odd that Universal would leave that out.

"I can tell you it's going to be a world-class park with all experiences that people will love based upon the most popular films, video games"

Super Nintendo World confirmed?
"I can tell you it's going to be a world-class park with all experiences that people will love based upon the most popular films, video games and stories that people have enjoyed for decades," said Page Thompson, the company's president in charge of new ventures.

Is this a new quote, don't remember Page Thomson saying this before. Bold to say 'most' popular if you're not going to include HP and super Mario. 'That people have been enjoying for decades' so must be using at least some very established long-term IPs. Jurassic Park/world has got to be in there.

First comment from Ian King is "no final investment decision has been taken yet:"
On this - would we expect a final investment decision to occur prior to planning process? Presumably the outcome of the planning process will determine the probable cost, e.g. by placing requirements on Universal investment in infrastructure? Any decisions prior to that would be interim decisions based on a range of scenarios?

"I can tell you it's going to be a world-class park with all experiences that people will love based upon the most popular films, video games"

Super Nintendo World confirmed?

Unless they have secured (or at least in discussions with other parties) I would have to assume you are right.

That said, as someone who works in games, nothing gets a company on board better than actual physical demonstration of a product, so I expect any games company would snap their arm off to agree something akin to Super Nintendo Land for themselves. So I can't rule that idea out. Especially with the no clone rule. That said, Nintendo has a vast array of IP, so who knows.

Exciting times.

Reactions: xtpower
On this - would we expect a final investment decision to occur prior to planning process? Presumably the outcome of the planning process will determine the probable cost, e.g. by placing requirements on Universal investment in infrastructure? Any decisions prior to that would be interim decisions based on a range of scenarios?
I don't know, and a large scale commercial investment getting planning permission via a Special Development Order seems to be without precedent so there's not much we can look at to see how things are normally done. Putting myself in the shoes of a Minister who was responsible for approving Universal's planning application, I'd be pretty cross to learn that I was being asked to take a decision when the parent company hadn't even confirmed they would go ahead with the project. I think that's just bad politics, and doesn't show the kind f commitment from Comcast that the government would need to see before they committed taxpayer monies to develop infrastructure.

I'm going to take Ian King's statement at face value. He's an experienced business journalist and indirectly works for Comcast, so he'll be aware of how serious it is to make market-sensitive statements which aren't correct.