Universal Great Britain | Page 120 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Has any theme park ever done anything tomb raider based?

Kinda British.

I don't even think it would need to be a British gaming IP as such. More just something which was incredibly popular here.

Only place my mind goes is Sega/Sonic (historically they performed better in Europe than in the US) or Playstation.

Pure speculation on my part here btw

Reactions: Altonsky
Ahh thanks guys!

I’m surprised there’s not been anything more substantial tbh, land based I mean. A park could do a lot with tomb raider and the last games performed really well and they’re currently working on some more.

I can dream!

Reactions: Steeb
Ahh thanks guys!

I’m surprised there’s not been anything more substantial tbh, land based I mean. A park could do a lot with tomb raider and the last games performed really well and they’re currently working on some more.

I can dream!

I personally love Tomb Raider, but I personally would struggle to know how to theme a land to it since it's pretty much all real world settings. I think all the stylisation of Nintendo Land is what makes it work so well. Everything you look at just screams Mario.

Reactions: Altonsky

I don't even think it would need to be a British gaming IP as such. More just something which was incredibly popular here.

Only place my mind goes is Sega/Sonic (historically they performed better in Europe than in the US) or Playstation.

Pure speculation on my part here btw

We had a Sonic themed ride at Alton Towers; it was just a lazy re theme of their spinning coaster, Spinball Whizzer (which has reverted back). There was also a Sonic the Hedgehog section of their dark ride Toyland Tours (sadly long gone).

We had a Sonic themed ride at Alton Towers; it was just a lazy re theme of their spinning coaster, Spinball Whizzer (which has reverted back). There was also a Sonic the Hedgehog section of their dark ride Toyland Tours (sadly long gone).
Yeah, I remember spotting the Sonic statue they had rotting away in the car park after they took the Sonic branding off. Classic Merlin half-arsing it.

I think what's got my brain going on this route is seeing how popular this thing ended up being, along with Merch and themed food and drinks Sonic The Hedgehog Speed Cafe (@sonicthehedgehogspeedcafe) • Instagram photos and videos

BBC Article as well

Mostly the same stuff from the report, but also says this...

Universal Destinations and Experiences confirmed to the BBC it planned to open all year round

Not that this wasn't expected anyway, but it's telling that Universal are confirming these types of details

It's interesting that they've released this. The information itself doesn't really add a huge amount that wasn't assumed, so I wonder if it purely in terms of raising the public profile.

Straying into the political context, the likely next Prime Minister (Kier Starmer) has spoken an awful lot about (1) making planning processes easier and (2) growing the economy by attracting investment. It feels to me like this is setting up to make it as easy as possible for the new government to get a quick win under the belt. Lots of the commentary around the promises being made is "yeah, but how are you going to grow the economy?". This sets up a slam dunk for the first few months in office "we secured 50bn of financial benefit by expediting approval of UGB with our new approach to growing the economy demonstrating that the UK is now open for business".

The spin writes itself.

It's interesting that they've released this. The information itself doesn't really add a huge amount that wasn't assumed, so I wonder if it purely in terms of raising the public profile.

Straying into the political context, the likely next Prime Minister (Kier Starmer) has spoken an awful lot about (1) making planning processes easier and (2) growing the economy by attracting investment. It feels to me like this is setting up to make it as easy as possible for the new government to get a quick win under the belt. Lots of the commentary around the promises being made is "yeah, but how are you going to grow the economy?". This sets up a slam dunk for the first few months in office "we secured 50bn of financial benefit by expediting approval of UGB with our new approach to growing the economy demonstrating that the UK is now open for business".

The spin writes itself.

Agree with all of this.

I’ve mentioned before every time it goes quiet something happens to keep public interest and engrain into the publics consciousness haha.

12 days til crunch time?

That video is pretty good, outlines that the 'investment decision' is contingent on certain factors e.g the planning process. So if the Government plays ball, then it should get the full greenlight.

I'm not sure if the video article has been shared yet, or at least I couldn't find it
Thanks for the link, it seems to be a fuller version of what Sky posted to Twitter, this time with the Page Thompson interview. I was pleased to see that he’s in the UK as it must mean he feels there’s work here that he needs to be present for rather than phoning it in from Orlando. While we have the same caveat from Ian King that the final investment decision has not yet been taken, it’s clear that things are moving forwards.

Thanks for the link, it seems to be a fuller version of what Sky posted to Twitter, this time with the Page Thompson interview. I was pleased to see that he’s in the UK as it must mean he feels there’s work here that he needs to be present for rather than phoning it in from Orlando. While we have the same caveat from Ian King that the final investment decision has not yet been taken, it’s clear that things are moving forwards.

Iam stated that the 'investment decision' was contingent on planning permission. So I'm guessing that Comcast doesn't want to greenlight until they know there's no poison pill type stuff coming from the gov or that the Gov won't help with infrastructure etc etc. I doubt we'll see anything like that but for a project of this size being cautious makes complete sense.

Iam stated that the 'investment decision' was contingent on planning permission. So I'm guessing that Comcast doesn't want to greenlight until they know there's no poison pill type stuff coming from the gov or that the Gov won't help with infrastructure etc etc. I doubt we'll see anything like that but for a project of this size being cautious makes complete sense.
I have no experience of agreements of that scale, but you’d guess that somewhere along the line there will be commitment from both sides to certain financial investments. From the government side it would have to cover infrastructure investment, from Universal’s side it would be the level of investment they make to construct the park, with penalties if they decide to pull out at a later stage. Presumably it will be the new government ministers who have to approve the funding for things like two train stations and the spur road off the A219.

Reactions: xtpower