Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Hollywood Vs WB Studio Tour

May 8, 2010
Portland, OR
Hello all!

Recently, my friend and I decided to change the last day of our trip. We are doing three days at Disneyland, and were originally going to head to Universal Hollywood HHN on the last day. We decided to skip HHN and do Knott’s Scary Farm instead. Now, that we are skipping that, we’re trying to figure out what do during the day that unique to the area. If you had to choose the WB studio tour or half a day at UH, what would you pick (Taking in cost as well). We already plan to return to UH for Nintendo anyway when that opens. We would even be up for other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Hello all!

Recently, my friend and I decided to change the last day of our trip. We are doing three days at Disneyland, and were originally going to head to Universal Hollywood HHN on the last day. We decided to skip HHN and do Knott’s Scary Farm instead. Now, that we are skipping that, we’re trying to figure out what do during the day that unique to the area. If you had to choose the WB studio tour or half a day at UH, what would you pick (Taking in cost as well). We already plan to return to UH for Nintendo anyway when that opens. We would even be up for other suggestions as well. Thanks!
If you’ve never done the tour at Warners and don’t care much about getting some rides in, I’d suggest taking that tour. It’s a lot more personal than what you get at USH, and if you’re into true “Behind the Scenes” of filmmaking, you’ll have a great time. They’ve updated the tour since the first time I went back in 2003, and now it feels like a more complete attraction. Plus if you have time you can go to Forest Lawn cemetery just across the street which is a big tourist spot, or head down a couple miles to Americana at Brand (in Glendale) for a drink, some lunch and shopping.

Really depends on what your interests are. If it's more ride based, I'd say USH. If you just want a very in depth Studio Tour, I'd maybe say WB.

If you're into Horror in general, I'd recommend what's nicknamed "Horror alley" in Burbank, where the stores Dark Delicacies (books and gifts, and often does signings with famous horror writers), Halloweentown (the main store, not the costume store--overpriced merch, but it's really well themed), and Mystic Museum/Bearded Lady (the stores are side by side and feature creepy antique oddities)/Slashback Video (an upcharge exhibit, but a must if you're into 80s horror). Free admission to all except Slashback! And the local favorite bakery, Porto's, is also right there near Dark Delicasies (and always has a massive line!).

I'd also add if you can get to it, The Grove is even better than The Americana, because The Grove also has the historic Farmer's Market (open daily), which is really a piece of old LA history and is a unique experience. Come hungry!

And if you want something relaxing, head to some of our bontanical gardens. The Huntington is immaculate, Descanso Gardens has a more forest feel, and LA Arboretum is a mix of both, and includes feral peacocks that roam around.

Really depends on what your interests are. If it's more ride based, I'd say USH. If you just want a very in depth Studio Tour, I'd maybe say WB.

If you're into Horror in general, I'd recommend what's nicknamed "Horror alley" in Burbank, where the stores Dark Delicacies (books and gifts, and often does signings with famous horror writers), Halloweentown (the main store, not the costume store--overpriced merch, but it's really well themed), and Mystic Museum/Bearded Lady (the stores are side by side and feature creepy antique oddities)/Slashback Video (an upcharge exhibit, but a must if you're into 80s horror). Free admission to all except Slashback! And the local favorite bakery, Porto's, is also right there near Dark Delicasies (and always has a massive line!).

I'd also add if you can get to it, The Grove is even better than The Americana, because The Grove also has the historic Farmer's Market (open daily), which is really a piece of old LA history and is a unique experience. Come hungry!

And if you want something relaxing, head to some of our bontanical gardens. The Huntington is immaculate, Descanso Gardens has a more forest feel, and LA Arboretum is a mix of both, and includes feral peacocks that roam around.
Grove is miles better, just really far from WB during traffic. Only reason I suggested Americana, which is super close to the lot :)

Thanks for all the help! We decided to do Universal Hollywood. Planning on doing park open till around 3 to get ready for Scary Farm. The Nintendo merchandise appearing may have helped swing the vote.