Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're waiting for your video...

I not gonna lie, I'm just learning on all the legal stuff for drones...but I'll learn. What I do know, fly a drone around the property, expect black and whites.

As for the airspace over the new land, if it's allowed...we'll get right on it ;-).
If only I was in that area more often. Every time it seems I'm there I have a tight schedule. If I lived in those apartments near there I would love to fly one over almost every day to see the changes. I would love to see someone who's there post some regular updates. These drones can provide some very detailed shots.

Reactions: RollermanDan
If only I was in that area more often. Every time it seems I'm there I have a tight schedule. If I lived in those apartments near there I would love to fly one over almost every day to see the changes. I would love to see someone who's there post some regular updates. These drones can provide some very detailed shots.

And we would all enjoy them! There's a very fine line that you would also have to consider, Universal wouldn't exactly be happy with a drone flying over their property. Find the flyer, ban the pass. That's a real issue that that a lot of people I don't think would risk. No hard feelings here bud...we both provided links to our comments and spoke our part. End of the day: we all have love for the parks and want to see what's happening with new ones being built!

And we would all enjoy them! There's a very fine line that you would also have to consider, Universal wouldn't exactly be happy with a drone flying over their property. Find the flyer, ban the pass. That's a real issue that that a lot of people I don't think would risk. No hard feelings here bud...we both provided links to our comments and spoke our part. End of the day: we all have love for the parks and want to see what's happening with new ones being built!
Yeah I guess they could maybe do that. I can't see them caring about people posting footage from legal flights over their property though. I don't think I've ever heard of Bioreconstruct being banned from any parks. Like I said if I were nearby I would probably do it once a week. I'm surprised someone hasn't stepped up in the area to provide some regular updates like that. It would be great to analyze all the little details, especially when things start to get more interesting than just dirt.

Yeah I guess they could maybe do that. I can't see them caring about people posting footage from legal flights over their property though. I don't think I've ever heard of Bioreconstruct being banned from any parks. Like I said if I were nearby I would probably do it once a week. I'm surprised someone hasn't stepped up in the area to provide some regular updates like that. It would be great to analyze all the little details, especially when things start to get more interesting than just dirt.

I've had security approach me multiple times while on the outside of the parks (public property, not just Universal either) and give me a tough time / call the police. For some reason they get really pissy and luckily enough for me...I've brushed up on my where I can and can't stand laws. Bio isn't being banned because he's a ghost (no one knows his real name) and he shouldn't either. I feel what he and I do are a service to those that like construction and will ultimately help promote the park. He also only flys with helicopter tours and thus takes the easy approach of "well i'm not the one flying the helicopter" if someone gets upset. Very smart and clean hands approach.

I've had security approach me multiple times while on the outside of the parks (public property, not just Universal either) and give me a tough time / call the police. For some reason they get really pissy and luckily enough for me...I've brushed up on my where I can and can't stand laws. Bio isn't being banned because he's a ghost (no one knows his real name) and he shouldn't either. I feel what he and I do are a service to those that like construction and will ultimately help promote the park. He also only flys with helicopter tours and thus takes the easy approach of "well i'm not the one flying the helicopter" if someone gets upset. Very smart and clean hands approach.
Yeah I would suspect they would be a little pushy about strange behavior around the parks. This new site I think would be much easier to shoot. There's also plenty of public areas around the property to launch and land from. I think really though as long as your not doing anything wrong I don't think they would care. I saw Tim Tracker posted some aerial footage a while back I think he's done it a few times and he's still getting invited to media events.

We also need to recall that Bob Wadd, who photographed for OU (before IU) , was banned for a few years for photos that he posted at Universal Orlando. Doing stuff that's on the fine line, and could possibly be interpreted negatively by Universal, may not be worth it. Bio gives us pretty decent updates on a fairly regular basis. There's really not a whole lot of recognizable meaningful changes over a few days time. IU, after all these years, has just recently been put on the Universal media invite list, and has a better relationship with Universal. . It's not really worth jeopardizing that over a few photos.

Last edited:
We also need to recall that Bob Wadd, who photographed for OU (before IU) , was banned for a few years for photos that he posted at Universal Orlando. Doing stuff that's on the fine line, and could possibly be interpreted negatively by Universal, may not be worth it. Bio gives us pretty decent updates on a fairly regular basis. There's really not a whole lot of recognizable meaningful changes over a few days time. IU, after all these years, has just recently been put on the Universal media invite list, and has a better relationship with Universal. . It's not really worth jeopardizing that over a few photos.
Wasn't he taking photos over construction walls or something? I think taking aerial photos from public spaces is perfectly fine and doesn't cross any lines. Even the major local news networks do that. Yeah right now there's little change, but I think pretty soon a lot will be happening every week.

As a side note I actually get to do weekly photo reports of construction projects for my work. It's really fun to watch as construction projects progress. The funny thing is I notice all the changes as I only visit once a week, but the guys working always ask me if anything really even looks different. They never really notice how much change there is since they see it every day.

I wonder if Bio will end up on the same list.

My concern with flying a drone over the new property is the close proximity to Lockheed Martin.

On the Lockheed Martin website, this is the map to show their location. Interesting tag on the Universal property.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/cont.../site-information/orlando/mfc-orlando-map.jpg
mfc-orlando-map.jpg

Reactions: RollermanDan

We've reached out to Universal for media events before and I've been to events as a rep back in 2006 with another page that I ran. After the testing video of Kong, it got....interesting. Part of Camp Jurassic was closed every day after 4 p.m. for them to do test runs. I've had managers / employees of the park say that video is the reason for said closure, so no one could get views. I know that Universal has looked down on construction coverage as I've personally had a message from PR during exchanges explaining essentially that it's not "Show ready." All our shots are from guest / public areas while in the parks. We would LOVE to be included on their list so that we could better showcase their products / events...but I'm not expecting that e-mail anytime soon....but hey, if they're reading this.....HELLO! :wave:

Wasn't he taking photos over construction walls or something? I think taking aerial photos from public spaces is perfectly fine and doesn't cross any lines. Even the major local news networks do that. Yeah right now there's little change, but I think pretty soon a lot will be happening every week.

As a side note I actually get to do weekly photo reports of construction projects for my work. It's really fun to watch as construction projects progress. The funny thing is I notice all the changes as I only visit once a week, but the guys working always ask me if anything really even looks different. They never really notice how much change there is since they see it every day.

News outlets with helicopters are usually over the 500 ft. mark and are flying perimeter runs though I thought. If can get definitive legal answers from a lawyer / FAA about the matter and they say it's good to go....we'll have coverage! My man...gotta love a fellow construction connoisseur!

I wonder if Bio will end up on the same list.

My concern with flying a drone over the new property is the close proximity to Lockheed Martin.

On the Lockheed Martin website, this is the map to show their location. Interesting tag on the Universal property.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/cont.../site-information/orlando/mfc-orlando-map.jpg
mfc-orlando-map.jpg

Imagine the technology they have that can take down drones lol

Last edited:

There's no flight restrictions pertaining to Lockheed Martin as far as I can see on the maps. The only thing is two advisories nearby Airports which are presumably heliports.
image1 copy.jpg
New outlets with helicopters are usually over the 500 ft. mark and are flying perimeter runs though I thought. If can get definitive legal answers from a lawyer / FAA about the matter and they say it's good to go....we'll have coverage! My man...gotta love a fellow construction connoisseur!
There is no 500 ft. mark. I think you're referring to their height limit for construction? There is a 400 ft. mark for limitation to flying drones. My only suggestion would be to get a part 107 certificate from the FAA, most of your legal questions would likely be answered in the process. It's not required yet to fly, but would help if you're making money in any way from the photos/videos. Like I said I would love to see some frequent updates from someone who can regularly visit the area!

Building height restrictions generally aren't a set value, rather a variable based on several factors and the FAA would need to give the okay near flight paths.

But I've also heard of a 500' rule for flying drones over private property without permission from the owner, I've also heard you would need a license to do this. But I can't guarantee that's not an urban legend.

I just called all of the helicopter companies around who will fly above /around the parks, None of their flights, even private charter, go under 500 ft. Not a drone I get it, but they were stating the parks property was the reason.

Reactions: natespf

I believe it was a close up shot of an employee reading from construction plans while he (employee) was sitting on a bench near Springfield, even though photo was taken from a public area. Bottom line, if it's a gray area, it's probably not worth risking and jeopardizing IU's relationship with Universal.

Reactions: truejonas
I believe it was a close up shot of an employee reading from construction plans while he (employee) was sitting on a bench near Springfield, even though photo was taken from a public area. Bottom line, if it's a gray area, it's probably not worth risking and jeopardizing IU's relationship with Universal.
I don't think I ever heard of that. Yeah that is kind of a grey area. I mean there's nothing legally wrong with that obviously. Universal is a private company though, they could ban you just for saying something unfavorable about them on the internet I suppose.

I don't think I ever heard of that. Yeah that is kind of a grey area. I mean there's nothing legally wrong with that obviously. Universal is a private company though, they could ban you just for saying something unfavorable about them on the internet I suppose.

They don't even have to have that reason. Private property = their rules.

They don't even have to have that reason. Private property = their rules.

Yup, the same reason a bouncer can stop you entering a club.

Top tip, if you feel the need to share something that probably shouldn’t be getting shared then don’t upload the file to the forum. Always link to the source as it should in theory limit any trouble that the guys running IU could get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.