Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 119 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed at Rosen Center back when it was called Omni Rosen and it was quite nice. Is it not that any longer?

How much of a draw are golf courses? Do they make a lot of money for WDW or are they just a cheap filler for things to do?
Rosen Centre is still beautiful.
And Golf sustains itself at Walt Disney World. Not enough to build more and not any less to take any away.

Ok, could someone please dig into that city website and tell me who owns these two properties? Just another thing that is vexing me...

two_properties_zpssp4qjrzm.jpg

Well since I happen to have my map open here you go.

The second one seems to be split up:

Wow, thanks! So........ Universal already owns property down there??? What else do they own? Especially in the west near the boulevard?

Drew up a solid outline removing retention ponds and right-of-ways. Will help to give us all a better sense of the major hunk of land.

Uni_south_borders_zpsimmp3upn.jpg

Reactions: Mike S and TJwny
Wow, thanks! So........ Universal already owns property down there??? What else do they own? Especially in the west near the boulevard?

Drew up a solid outline removing retention ponds and right-of-ways. Will help to give us all a better sense of the major hunk of land.

Uni_south_borders_zpsimmp3upn.jpg
My understanding is that company has no relation to Universal other than their name. There's like 3 or 4 companies that own all that land, it's split up amongst them.

My understanding is that company has no relation to Universal other than their name. There's like 3 or 4 companies that own all that land, it's split up amongst them.

I am quite sure that this Universal City Property Management is the same one that "owns" the land on which UOR stands.... could you check the exact name up there?

I am quite sure that this Universal City Property Management is the same one that "owns" the land on which UOR stands.... could you check the exact name up there?
It's a different company than what's listed for the Universal resort. I'm away from my computer at the moment though.

Yeah, Universal City Property Management is(was?) owned by Atlanta developer, Stanley Thomas. They are the ones that bought the land that Vivendi sold in the early 2000's.

I stayed at Rosen Center back when it was called Omni Rosen and it was quite nice. Is it not that any longer?

How much of a draw are golf courses? Do they make a lot of money for WDW or are they just a cheap filler for things to do?

I've been in all of them and to me they feel like a super cheap attempt to be nice. There are even elements of Shingle Creek that feel like that, although that property is decent overall. Rosen Centre looks like a prison. All merely my opinion, of course.

Aaaah! This explains the "Universal City":

"Universal [City Property Management] was once a subsidiary of Universal Studios of Florida, the resort now owned by NBC Universal. The company previously had purchased 2,200 acres lying south and east of Lockheed Martin's defense plant on Sand Lake Road in 1999. Today, after extensive development, that land now fronts Universal Boulevard and the Orange County Convention Center in the International Drive tourist corridor."
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2007/09/17/daily5.html

The developer for that corp is Marc Watson?

What is more, each of those retention ponds is listed as owned by UCPM!!! even though they are smack dab in the middle of property now owned by Colony. That is bonkers to me... how can they own retention ponds? Perhaps UCPM is attempting to use the retention ponds as environmental wildlife refuges for tax purposes?

What a legal crapfest this is going to be. Bunch of shysters! Perhaps Comcast can shake them down...

Just so you know, I was kinda asking for persons with legal/county tax/real estate knowledge how and why one corp would own retention ponds that lay in the center of another property. Those ponds were only built in the past 7 and 10 years. What is UCPM up to?

I can only imagine that Comcast/Universal is negotiating for it. No one will ever pay UCPM more, except perhaps... Disney. :saywhat:

I think everyone is a tad over-optimistic about the timeline here.

Yes I realize not exactly apples and oranges, but the Beijing project (now set for 2020) has been bubbling along at the current site since at least 2012. The third gate for Universal is really more of a second resort, this will by no means be an easy project. Hotels, new retail and dining, new parking structures, new transportation options etc. etc. This is not something that is going to suddenly pop into existence in under 36 months.

I'd certainly love to be wrong, but a more realistic year is 2023. Comcast is certainly guns blazing, but I'm not sure how much P&R capex will like having two "resorts" opening in such close succession 2020 Beijing and 2021 Orlando as has been suggested here with their final two years overlapping when the spending faucet is absolutely gushing out cash.

And more to the point, I want their two current parks to be essentially pristine before shifting attention to a third gate. One of WDW's biggest mistakes in my opinion is opening their last gate too soon.

The Studio's in particular has a long... long way to go. It's certainly getting there rather quickly though, but I don't want it falling on the back burner post Kid-Zone because the third gate is coming.

Reactions: IzzyB
Status
Not open for further replies.