Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 409 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The documents for this meeting have already been published. There's several thousands of pages of studies and data for each section of the extension project - North and Middle - but the section that cuts through the Universal land is the Middle section. I've briefly skimmed its 2196 page report and included some of the interesting tidbits below:
Where might one find these documents?

Copy and paste this for the Middle section PDF:

Code:
ftp://ftp.ocfl.net/divisions/Public_Works/pub/Transportation%20Planning/Kirkman%20Extension/PDS/

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeCamel
Okay, so that Internal Roadway Trail..has some fascinating details.. :stun:

Yep, looks like a dedicated bus lane, similar to the one near Disney Springs.

Yep it's a transit lane. From the document:

Yes, there's dedicated transit lanes on the Kirkman road extension - they're specifically mentioned in the quotes I inculded in my first post. However, just to avoid confusion, that internal road you're talking about isn't detailed on any of the drawings, so the only look we have at it is that one sheet with the landscaping and trail.

Traffic will primarily be coming from and exiting to the north, so this design allows for constant traffic flow both off of southbound Kirkman and into the resort and out of the resort and onto northbound Kirkman. The ramp for the roundabout starts about a quarter mile down Kirkman, so traffic will be able to flow unimpeded by lights both into and out of the main artery for the resort.

what in the world is the purpose of that apparent elevated roundabout with only 2 exits? wouldn't a normal ramp be more functional and cheaper? what in the world is with that concept?
Look closely at the lane markings, it is not actually a roundabout. Southbound Kirkman traffic only goes into the eastbound road, while westbound traffic on the other road only goes to northbound Kirkman. By the way, that westbound to northbound upper level lane is very obviously only for busses because it is only one lane and only goes into the transit-only lanes on Kirkman.

My assumption is that Universal suggested the design to make the entrance more 'iconic,' and the county didn't care either way. It also leaves more room for backups.

Another thing, there is some detailed future traffic conditions analysis in the papers. They even separate transit and general traffic. By looking at this data, it looks like UOR buses will be taking the following route from north to south: Universal Blvd south, Carrier Dr east, Kirkman south, local road east with the Kirkman and a portion of Carrier Dr being in transit-only lanes

CORRECTION: Exact numbers per hour (for the year 2022) are -
5 buses from Carrier to I-Drive via Kirkman
8 buses from Carrier to the northern entrance via Kirkman
105 buses from Carrier to the southern entrance via Kirkman

EDIT again:
I just verified, and any buses trying to access the transit lanes will only be able to access and leave them using Carrier Drive from their northern terminus. From the southern terminus at I-Drive, they can only enter it using Tradeshow but can exit any direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxairmike
Sorry for the triple post, but...
You can see the new internal road in the below map from the same document in Appendix G. It is highlighted in yellow and the Kirkman extension is circled in blue. The map is oriented with the top being east.
universal south.PNG

Reactions: Coasted
Status
Not open for further replies.