Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked with Tom Williams today, he and Jim spoke when they flew him down before the grand open on Tues. I'm sure Jim's article is edited highlights from a longer discussion, but the quotes are genuine.

Thanks for sharing this. Great to hear Hill did not add any embellishments.

Talked with Tom Williams today, he and Jim spoke when they flew him down before the grand open on Tues. I'm sure Jim's article is edited highlights from a longer discussion, but the quotes are genuine.

Thank you! I'm guess what sent up a red flag for me is that all quotes in Jim Hill articles have the same voice and rhetoric, combined with the fact that I doubt Tom Williams would drop bombshells like "we have the next 5 years planned out" to him. That being said, it was out of line for me to suggest he made up the article :)

So, back to the topic at hand regarding screens and AAs. I think Universal is always known for pushing the limits of whatever tech is hot at the time, and that may manifest itself lately as being a lot of screen attractions. In the early 90s it was physical effects and large scale AAs. In the 00s it was screens and 3D. And in the current decade it's about total immersion via remixing all of the above. And who knows what's next.

Thank you! I'm guess what sent up a red flag for me is that all quotes in Jim Hill articles have the same voice and rhetoric, combined with the fact that I doubt Tom Williams would drop bombshells like "we have the next 5 years planned out" to him. That being said, it was out of line for me to suggest he made up the article :)

So, back to the topic at hand regarding screens and AAs. I think Universal is always known for pushing the limits of whatever tech is hot at the time, and that may manifest itself lately as being a lot of screen attractions. In the early 90s it was physical effects and large scale AAs. In the 00s it was screens and 3D. And in the current decade it's about total immersion via remixing all of the above. And who knows what's next.

I would love to see a ride where there are blank figures on a set, then they use lasers to make the figures "come to life". sort of like the MK castle show at night but on an actual ride.

Magic%20Kingdom%20castle%20show%20at%20night.JPG

Or AA's covered with screens on them that move with the set...

Is that creative enough?

I doubt Tom Williams would drop bombshells like "we have the next 5 years planned out" to him. That being said, it was out of line for me to suggest he made up the article :)

Morale is EXTREMELY high at UOR and Universal Parks and Resorts in general. I think they're confident, and the fact that Comcast is bank rolling them is allowing them to say these kind of things confidently.

I would love to see a ride where there are blank figures on a set, then they use lasers to make the figures "come to life". sort of like the MK castle show at night but on an actual ride.

Magic%20Kingdom%20castle%20show%20at%20night.JPG

Or AA's covered with screens on them that move with the set...

Is that creative enough?

At IAAPA 2013 AlterFace demoed an interactive shooting gallery with a mix of simple AAs and blank sets that were animated using projection mapping to show the effects of your "shots." Would love to see a new ride using this tech, or even a refurb of MIB.

Morale is EXTREMELY high at UOR and Universal Parks and Resorts in general. I think they're confident, and the fact that Comcast is bank rolling them is allowing them to say these kind of things confidently.

Probably a calculated quote too, helps to keep the buzz abround the fan community whilst sending a clear message too their rivals. Great move IMO.

At IAAPA 2013 AlterFace demoed an interactive shooting gallery with a mix of simple AAs and blank sets that were animated using projection mapping to show the effects of your "shots." Would love to see a new ride using this tech, or even a refurb of MIB.

Good looks Seth... And yeah, I'm thinking something like that in the end but more detailed could be something amazing. And not even for a shooter, for a full ride as well

Here is the link, its more towards the end that you see the tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYKn9rXXX4

Good looks Seth... And yeah, I'm thinking something like that in the end but more detailed could be something amazing. And not even for a shooter, for a full ride as well

Here is the link, its more towards the end that you see the tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYKn9rXXX4

That would be great for a video game based theme park...especially if there was a Call of Duty Ride or Battlefield.

Well if SeaWorld is taken in a new direction...perhaps

There is no way that Comcast wouldn't take it in a new direction. Keep the theme, make an incredible aquarium like in singapore, and take out those damn orkas. Plus, there is SO much room for expansion. Especially for a company that knows how to utilize space. First thing they would do is add more parking. Plus, now they really have a reason to add a monorail

I saw the aquarium last year, its phenomenal.

sentosa-s-e-a-aquarium-admission-in-singapore-with-optional-hotel-in-singapore-126680.jpg

So much of what OI has written there is total crap. It jumps to silly conclusions, makes statements as if they have known stuff for a long time, which they have not, I assure you. Now I see why this website has absolute contempt for their presence anywhere.

So much of what OI has written there is total crap. It jumps to silly conclusions, makes statements as if they have known stuff for a long time, which they have not, I assure you. Now I see why this website has absolute contempt for their presence anywhere.

Oh I didn't see that informer wrote it, looks like that's it for that rumor

Seaworld is looking to be bought out I know that much but until the whole Blackfish thing is over, I wouldn't touch it. The only benefit would be all the land and Comcast getting a much larger cut for the flex tickets. However, Comcast is probably keeps its eye and money on buying out Time Warner Inc. which is rumoured to being going up for a buyout here soon which will give them a larger number of IPs to utilize in their parks than buying another park.

However buying out Seaworld Entertainment would also give them both Busch Garden parks and Seaseme Place, that right there would make it worth while to buy especially Busch Gardens Williamsburg which is right next to a lot of military bases with a lot of people who spend money on food/beverage and season passes.

And Universal would get the rights to Seaseme Street finally which would be a pretty awesome Kidzone area.

but most likely will never happen.

Last edited:
I think it would be a mistake. It would divert resources away from what I think is most important, UOR. If you throw in Seaworld and Busch, I mean its just going to take money away from it. my two cents

Well I don't even know how comcast would deal with the animals and the controversies they already have. They can just buy something like UOR and say to themselves "yeah we can do this" but with a park like seaworld you have to fix a park AND one of the most popular aquariums in the world. It seems like it would be a burden

Seaworld is looking to be bought out I know that much but until the whole Blackfish thing is over, I wouldn't touch it. The only benefit would be all the land and Comcast getting a much larger cut for the flex tickets. However, Comcast is probably keeps its eye and money on buying out Time Warner Inc. which is rumoured to being going up for a buyout here soon which will give them a larger number of IPs to utilize in their parks than buying another park.

However buying out Seaworld Entertainment would also give them both Busch Garden parks and Seaseme Place, that right there would make it worth while to buy especially Busch Gardens Williamsburg which is right next to a lot of military bases with a lot of people who spend money on food/beverage and season passes.

And Universal would get the rights to Seaseme Street finally which would be a pretty awesome Kidzone area.

but most likely will never happen.

Note that it is Time Warner Cable Inc., which is a separate company from Time Warner Inc. It is a merger of the cable companies, no IPs are involved.

Reactions: jrriddle
Status
Not open for further replies.