Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of PortAventura

It may be just a coincidence but it's funny lol

What is real is that this season there is a change in PortAventura, both in the internal management of the company and investment in the park that is being noticed a lot. Fans are really really happy.

Internally they are changing their departments creating new ones such as PortAventura Engineering, which would be the equivalent of Universal Creative.

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLECPGRSIIJXYD7GQYPHZCTKUI7TEGRATF4EFMEMUOTXETSQLOMHQY

In the park there is a lot of repainting, new animations, opening of places that had been closed for years, better shows, the return of Carnival season (Mardi Gras), Universal logos on more and more merchandising products in the store, Uncharted.... And they're also listening to fan feedback

Insiders continue to point out that Universal's comeback is on the way and the fanbase believe it's the reason for all the changes happening together this season after years of hardly any investment. The park's attendance is far exceeding expectations and with Uncharted openning summer it looks set to break the record.

The purchase may not happen but it's hard not to get your hopes up that it might with all these changes happening in the same year, with all the rumors and after years with very little investment. Some say they are orders from Universal to leave the park in the best state before they arrive haha.

It may be just a coincidence but it's funny lol

What is real is that this season there is a change in PortAventura, both in the internal management of the company and investment in the park that is being noticed a lot. Fans are really really happy.

Internally they are changing their departments creating new ones such as PortAventura Engineering, which would be the equivalent of Universal Creative.

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLECPGRSIIJXYD7GQYPHZCTKUI7TEGRATF4EFMEMUOTXETSQLOMHQY

In the park there is a lot of repainting, new animations, opening of places that had been closed for years, better shows, the return of Carnival season (Mardi Gras), Universal logos on more and more merchandising products in the store, Uncharted.... And they're also listening to fan feedback

Insiders continue to point out that Universal's comeback is on the way and the fanbase believe it's the reason for all the changes happening together this season after years of hardly any investment. The park's attendance is far exceeding expectations and with Uncharted openning summer it looks set to break the record.

The purchase may not happen but it's hard not to get your hopes up that it might with all these changes happening in the same year, with all the rumors and after years with very little investment. Some say they are orders from Universal to leave the park in the best state before they arrive haha.
Sounds like either a park making itself look better for purchase, or a park finally turning things around investing in its future. Either way, without Universal buying it, it sounds like the guests win.

Today, Universal has registered these trademarks, for what appears to be merchandising in the European register:

- JAWS name logo: for media, dvds, visual content, devices, towels, shirts, pants, coats, bed sheets... etc
- JAWS image: only for clothes
- ILUMINATION presents MIGRATION: for toys
- CASPER: Dvds, visual content, devides, media, all types of clothes, books, toys, bags... AND entertainment and use in theme parks.

There's rumours that maybe could be for a CASPER Halloween child haunted house

Captura3.PNG
Captura4.PNG

They have also seen park managers eating with people wearing suits in the park's best restaurants.

It does feel like a good time to reboot Casper. I loved that movie when I was a kid .

Last edited:
Just trademarks for merch. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion
Why would they bother doing merch if they’re not going to dedicate a ride for that? There never was a Jaws ride before for nostalgia points and who knows if JAWS is still well known in that country.

Most trademarks for rides in the US have separate trademarks for the merch and others for the rides. Same name. Same logo. Separate trademarks.

Every once in awhile though, you get a catchall trademark that throws in theme park entertainment in the mix for good measure. I see that a lot for DreamWorks and Illumination properties for some reason, including many that never got turned into theme park things. Covers them for walk around characters and stuff I guess just in case later on.

Anyway, if they were going to make a theme park attraction based on JAWS in the region, you’d probably see one or multiple that cover every type of theme park attraction/gift shop/snack stand and not just products only, which at least in the US you can pick up at Target currently. Been a wave of license Jaws merch all over the world lately. Really capitalizing on that nostalgia I guess.

One last disclaimer though, sometimes a company will trademark a name or term or logo in multiple markets, just to prevent anyone else from using it there.

Most trademarks for rides in the US have separate trademarks for the merch and others for the rides. Same name. Same logo. Separate trademarks.

Every once in awhile though, you get a catchall trademark that throws in theme park entertainment in the mix for good measure. I see that a lot for DreamWorks and Illumination properties for some reason, including many that never got turned into theme park things. Covers them for walk around characters and stuff I guess just in case later on.

Anyway, if they were going to make a theme park attraction based on JAWS in the region, you’d probably see one or multiple that cover every type of theme park attraction/gift shop/snack stand and not just products only, which at least in the US you can pick up at Target currently. Been a wave of license Jaws merch all over the world lately. Really capitalizing on that nostalgia I guess.

One last disclaimer though, sometimes a company will trademark a name or term or logo in multiple markets, just to prevent anyone else from using it there.
Most trademarks that have been registered for Europe are the case you mention, they have been registered in other regions, either for nobody else to use them or for advertising use. Trademarks are registered in waves, first in the USA and in the next days in Europe, UK, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Australia...

In this case, this trademarks don't come from a USA registration, in the typical wave registration move they do. JAWS has been registered during the day in Australia apart from Europe. However, looks like CASPER has not been register in any other region at this moment. We will have to wait a few days to see if it appears registered elsewhere. For the moment it is interesting because it is the one that includes use in theme parks.

Good point but is Jaws still well known in Europe, specifically where Portaventura stands? I don’t know how popular the movie is elsewhere.

It is very much one of the most famous movies ever worldwide. I had a friend growing up whose mom from the former USSR said she watched it as a girl and had nightmares about it.

Maybe Universal is reintroducing Jaws to the European market to drive tourism away from the Spanish beaches and towards their fancy new theme park.

Jaws is well known here in Spain but we call it "Tiburón". It had a huge success in the 90's and still is remembered but not as much to make an attraction or and area. Shirts with the image in the shops? Yes, but I don't think has more room uses when there's others IPs more profitable nowadays. That trademarks are for clothes and other type of merch so i can totally see it in a possible future shop in the park.

Same with Casper but I think fits very well in a Halloween kid haunted house. PortAventura already has a kid haunted house for halloween. And again, as a merch in shops could be profitable.

Spain is not France, even though we are neighbors. Spain always has been more open to the american culture, cinema and brands. We kinda love american entertaiment products. For example, Spain loved Disney more than France in 1992, when they decided to build Disneyland there over us. In fact, PortAventura was built as a response to that. Disneyland would not have had the start-up culture problems it had in France here.

Last edited:
absolutely terrific name for a movie
"Tiburón" literally means "Shark", so in Spain the last decades when we talk about sharks we though about that film as a representation of the species. That's the huge success the film had.

The franchaises and films that were a success in USA probably were a success here too. About the IPs Universal has in their parks I think we only don't know Fallon and Seuss Landing (but Grinch is well known).

"Tiburón" literally means "Shark", so in Spain the last decades when we talk about sharks we though about that film as a representation of the species. That's the huge success the film had.

The franchaises and films that were a success in USA probably were a success here too. About the IPs Universal has in their parks I think we only don't know Fallon and Seuss Landing (but Grinch is well known).
Is Seuss not big outside of the States?

Is Seuss not big outside of the States?
I don't know about other countries but in Spain it is not big or even known. I know who is thanks to IOA. We do know Grinch since Jim Carrey's movie was very popular but we don't relate him to the world of Dr. Seuss.

I still don't know what is 'The Cat in the hat' :lmao: