Universal RFID Bands? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal RFID Bands?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why not both?

I think a band will be necessary for Volcano Bay but a card will work just as well for the parks. Whatever the person feels most comfortable with.

VB will probably use an access band and queue less slides but so does A TON of water parks. Heck the water park attached to the Columbus Zoo has been using it for years.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Well, whatever they develop, I hope that don't throw much money at the project and retard park expansions like Disney did.

I really really doubt that will happen. While Comcast has been bold in their demands of UC and park operations, I sense their dedication to customer service (ironic) and not nickle and diming customers as was UOR in their down years. For this reason, I think they will proceed cautiously.

If they make me wear a band I'll consider getting rid of my AP. I hate them

Even Disney doesn't require you to wear a band. They still have plastic cards and some people do use them. Especially those on day tickets not staying on site who don't want to pay for a band. I think you might be a little extreme on your hate here. I think 95% of people would think it is a huge improvement over paper passes.

Even Disney doesn't require you to wear a band. They still have plastic cards and some people do use them. Especially those on day tickets not staying on site who don't want to pay for a band. I think you might be a little extreme on your hate here. I think 95% of people would think it is a huge improvement over paper passes.

I believe that all keys to the kingdom cards have been retired and a card option isn't offered anymore.

Also there are OTHER options than going from paper tickets to what Magic Bands offer.

If you buy a ticket and print it at home you can present it at Guest Services and they will give you a plastic RFID card

Yes. And when you get an AP they give you a plastic card and then you have to order your bands online for free. Which has never made sense to me.

Also, I do NOT expect a fast pass system in any way shape or form. But I think the bands will allow room access, meal deal access, purchases, park entrance, and picture options. Honestly the picture part is way cool. I saw them take a picture of me on 7 dwarfs but there was no photos at exit. Got home and saw them attached to my photopass with a patiala movie of me on the ride. Universal could make more money on pics if it was easier to get ride pics.

Wait magic bands cost 2 billion ? Pesos right because if WDW spent 2 billion American dollars on this crap while letting all 4 parks rot they are crazy. Universal would have fixed Epcot, Tomorrowland ,built SWL , TSL , and Pandora in 5-7 years with that money.

Back on Universal's version . I like this because I'm paranoid about losing things. They shouldn't have all the planning stuff like WDW. A card and wristband should be the choices for park to park and multi day tickets and giving out for free. Hotel guest get Minions , Potter or whatever character for free or small fee to upgrade . Regular guest pay full price for characters .

Reactions: Mad Dog
Wait magic bands cost 2 billion ? Pesos right because if WDW spent 2 billion American dollars on this crap while letting all 4 parks rot they are crazy. Universal would have fixed Epcot, Tomorrowland ,built SWL , TSL , and Pandora in 5-7 years with that money.

Back on Universal's version . I like this because I'm paranoid about losing things. They shouldn't have all the planning stuff like WDW. A card and wristband should be the choices for park to park and multi day tickets and giving out for free. Hotel guest get Minions , Potter or whatever character for free or small fee to upgrade . Regular guest pay full price for characters .
Magic Bands themselves didn't cost that much. It was the entirety of the My Disney Experience, which was a huge infrastructure project.

Should it have cost $2B, no, there were cost overruns. But it was always planned to be a billion+ project.

Last edited:
I really hope Uni doesn't followed Disney's lead and pull in a similar system.

With many trips under my belt I love just being able to do the parks with no stress. General touring, taking a few pics and hitting up the odd ride here and there whilst grabbing a bite to eat when I feel like is enough to keep me happy.

Next trip i'm coming with a first timer, a totally different trip as everything will be new for her. We will be staying on site at both Uni and Disney.

With Uni I can still do the chilled out touring I enjoy, we are staying at Portofino so will have express and can hit up Potter early too, I can easily get a meal at most (if not all) restaurants on site and that’s it, that’s all I need, just turn up have fun , done.

As you all know Disney is totally different. booking restaurants at 180 days if you want top pick, 60 days booking ride times you have a bloody app to tell you where you need to be and when I despise it, but even though I despise it I feel forced to use so as not to be behind the crowd.

I prefer the spontaneity of Universal and know which system I prefer, saying this though I do see advantages in the rfid tech Disney uses and how Uni could embrace parts of it.

Just not in a way that makes my vacation so damned regimented.

I really hope Uni doesn't followed Disney's lead and pull in a similar system.

With many trips under my belt I love just being able to do the parks with no stress. General touring, taking a few pics and hitting up the odd ride here and there whilst grabbing a bite to eat when I feel like is enough to keep me happy.

Next trip i'm coming with a first timer, a totally different trip as everything will be new for her. We will be staying on site at both Uni and Disney.

With Uni I can still do the chilled out touring I enjoy, we are staying at Portofino so will have express and can hit up Potter early too, I can easily get a meal at most (if not all) restaurants on site and that’s it, that’s all I need, just turn up have fun , done.

As you all know Disney is totally different. booking restaurants at 180 days if you want top pick, 60 days booking ride times you have a bloody app to tell you where you need to be and when I despise it, but even though I despise it I feel forced to use so as not to be behind the crowd.

I prefer the spontaneity of Universal and know which system I prefer, saying this though I do see advantages in the rfid tech Disney uses and how Uni could embrace parts of it.

Just not in a way that makes my vacation so damned regimented.
:agree:100% plus agreed. You capsulized my feelings perfectly. :thumbsup:

Ok, so here is what I would want the bands to do:

Admission Media: Tickets/APs etc.
Purchasing
Discounts: AP/AAA/AARP
Photo Connect
Resort Room Doors

What I don't want them to do:

Attraction Reservations

Spot on. I'd maybe add Express Pass to this as well if the person has it through their hotel or purchased it.

I think a lot of people are confusing Universal bands with having something similar to FastPass+ which I don't think anybody wants.

Like it or not, Universal has to adapt SOME sort of similar system. Right now, Universal's ticketing system seems archaic to most first time guests, just coming off of a WDW visit. I've experienced this first hand multiple times as a guest (with first-timers) and as a TM you hear people talk about it a surprising amount.

The fact of the matter is they seem behind the times now, which ever so slightly hurts their image.

Last edited:
Reactions: IzzyB and Quint
Magic Bands themselves didn't cost that much. It was the entirety of the My Disney Experience, which was a huge infrastructure project.

Should it have cost $2B, no, there were cost overruns. But it was always planned to be a billion+ project.

This is why I HATE discussions like this, magicbands or FP+ is short hand for the whole network and network infrastructure.

Biggest issues and most money was spent on the physical hardware in the parks, increasing data in park (wifi is an offshoot of this), and the MDX back end with accounts.

I have heard VB, like many water parks, will use an off the shelf band and queue less system.

Ok, so here is what I would want the bands to do:

Admission Media: Tickets/APs etc.
Purchasing
Discounts: AP/AAA/AARP
Photo Connect
Resort Room Doors

What I don't want them to do:

Attraction Reservations

I echo this sentiment right here.. I HATE the ride reserving... its a complete intrusion on VACATIONING.

Reactions: MrRoamer