Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Dubai

Well, Dubai says it all. The country from the Emirates with the least oil, a housing bubble, infrastructure built in debt, it all had to implode. When it did it wasn't longer viable to build the park there. I would like to discuss the same situation will happen to China but this is not an economics forum. It sounded like a great idea, but Universal Dubai will be one of those big "what if's"

They tried the UK back in the 70s and 80s. It didn't pan out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone hasn't seen this yet. Here's some concept art of Dubai's 8th Voyage of Sindbad. (The USD brochure said Sindbad would face a stone monster).

auebuv.jpg

Link

http://www.simiosys.com/cstapleton/index.php?site_area=menu&menu_id=9&sub_id=131

3853269129_ff4e0fa302.jpg
tumblr_me5yuoa4HT1qi7900o1_500.jpg
large_dubai-dreaming.jpg
universal-studios-dubailand-big.jpg
the-dubailand-sales-center-exhibits-it-big.jpg

I'm pretty sure the last image shows a proposed Waterworld stunt show for the Dubailand Universal Studios park.

@Ryan   The project broke ground in July 2008 but was put on hold shortly thereafter, and as of December 2012, no construction work has taken place on the project since early 2009. It was also supposed to have a total of five different unique themed areas:

1. Hollywood:  The area was to be designed a lot like Universal Studios Florida's Hollywood area. It was expected to feature a Mel’s Diner building as seen at Universal's Florida and Singapore parks. Restaurant chain Planet Hollywood was thought to be planning on opening their largest restaurant in the area.

2. New York: A heavily themed area featuring a Blues Brothers outdoor show and a Hooray for Bollywood indoor show. The area was also expected to feature an air-conditioned undercover Gramercy Park Square.

3. Surf City:  A boardwalk / beach themed area for kids expected to have feature Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster, a sand castle themed carousel and Frantic Freeway.

4. Epic Adventures:  Epic Adventures would have been the home to Jurassic Park Rapids AdventureWaterworld and a new King Kong dueling roller coaster.

5. Legendary Heroes:  Legendary Heroes was expected to be the home of another incarnation of the Revenge of the Mummy indoor roller coaster. It was also set to be the home to the Eighth Voyage of Sinbad, a foam ball play area and King Tot's Oasis (a water play area).

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hopefully construction begins some time soon because I'm really excited about the proposed Waterworld show, and Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure.

I believe its dead in the water. And I believe also that Russia's Uni park may be dead in the water too..but I can be wrong about that one.

Beijing is the only one currently that is possibly going to be built. Even with the success of Shanghai with the reception, we have yet to see how attendance does and the fact that despite how awesome a lot of it is, the attraction count is still shockingly low. (I believe taking out the flat rides and shows the total is about 9 attractions, ouch)

@Jon   It won't let me edit. But yeah, I'll make sure I do that next time. I was going to cite, but forgot.