Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Korea

Feb 2, 2013
Arizona.
..in a bit of interesting news, after a three year hiatus; it seems that South Korea is finally moving forward with that planned "Universal Studios Korea"

Korea revives Universal Studios theme park project – The Korea Times

(Yonhap) — South Korea on Tuesday announced a consortium involving Chinese investors as a preferred bidder to build a theme park in partnership with U.S.-based Universal Parks and Resorts, reviving the project after a three-year hiatus.

The state-run Korea Water Resources Corporation (K-Water) said it chose the multinational consortium consisting of Daewoo Engineering & Construction and Dohwa Engineering of Korea as well as China State Construction Engineering Corporation, China’s largest construction company, and Hong Kong-based China Travel Service.

K-Water said it will draw up detailed plans by the first half of next year to open a global theme park in Hwaseong, about 60 kilometers south of Seoul, by 2020, estimating that around 5 trillion won ($4.24 billion) will be invested into the project.

The park envisioned on a plot spanning 4.2 square kilometers will include a Universal Studio theme park and Korean pop concert arena, as well as accommodations, a golf resort, a water park and a shopping center.

The site is located about an hour drive from Seoul and close to Incheon International Airport.

“The global theme park is expected to help draw Chinese travelers as Chinese investors joined the project,” K-Water said in a release, noting the project will be on track this time with government support.

Plans for the theme park were originally announced in 2007 amid hopes it would be up and running in 2012, but the project was delayed by the global financial crisis and put on hold in 2012 over land and infrastructure issues.
Its planned for 2020..so. If this is to finally happen; this would make two Universal parks to open, the upcoming Beijing park and now..possibly this.

So, Thoughts?

Too many international Universal parks have been announced and there has been almost no visible progress. I'll get excited once I see some proof of progress.

I still wish they'd build a proper Universal park somewhere in Europe. I'm gonna pretend the planned Russian one doesn't exist.