Untitled Wolfman Film (Universal) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Untitled Wolfman Film (Universal)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Last Voyage of the Demeter had a great script and Abigail was pretty fun. There is, unfortunately, no magic "make this movie succeed" button, as much as we'd like there to be.

Look at this from the perspective of a studio for a second. Out of Universal's last four monster movies, only the one released by Blumhouse was a huge hit with both audiences and critics. If you go off of that, hiring Blumhouse for another would be the smartest move.
Short term yes

But even if people like the new Invisible man film, there isn't much merch or like ways to really do more with these films. They come out people say they like them....but I've never met anyone who is like really into Blumhouses Invisibleman...and they don't even include it in houses because its just not made in a way that high lights the character in a way that can be as easily translated to the parks

I will say this new film, I could see it working because it reminds me of Evil Dead and they made a house for it...but if the designs from HHN are anything to go off...I doubt anyone is buying merch for that film...lol

I just think it's worth flagging up that it's very hard to write a good script for a television commercial, let alone a feature length movie. That's not to say bad scripting shouldn't be criticized (it should!) but there are times when even a good effort leads to a poor result.

I'd also add the pretty terrible Mario Bros. movie as an example of poor scripting that most fans aren't all that concerned about.
I agree its not easy but to me the last attempts just didn't really feels like things I needed to see

I also dislike that Illunation can just get away with it everytime but it is what is, I mean they should be kinda embarrassed Sonic is making better films then them but they are making more money so I bet they don't care

Short term yes

But even if people like the new Invisible man film, there isn't much merch or like ways to really do more with these films. They come out people say they like them....but I've never met anyone who is like really into Blumhouses Invisibleman...and they don't even include it in houses because its just not made in a way that high lights the character in a way that can be as easily translated to the parks

I will say this new film, I could see it working because it reminds me of Evil Dead and they made a house for it...but if the designs from HHN are anything to go off...I doubt anyone is buying merch for that film...lol
I mean... different strokes, but why does merch matter if it's a good movie? They don't make merch of Don't Look Now either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake S
I'll take the opposite view. Universal released three Dracula movies over the last couple years, and all three of them were basically faithful to varying degrees (they also all flopped, but oh well). There clearly isn't a mandate for more faithful/less faithful versions, they're just letting people do their own spin. It's night and day and a huge breath of fresh air compared to other major franchise rightsholders.
to be fair if the story for this movie is really really good, it doesn't matter what he looks like.

its not a cope out either. if the story is great, interesting and scary, then it's ok if he looks like a shaved yeti

I mean... different strokes, but why does merch matter if it's a good movie? They don't make merch of Don't Look Now either.
My point of View is I like when Films are both great and have a legacy that not only is good for merch but future HHN. The Classic Monsters get houses most years because people love them so much, if the new films come out people are like that was good but never watch it or really think about it again then to me its some what a waste.

Like I hope the new wolfman looks cool but...the HHN costume is just a joke....so I also want films where the characters design is apart of the conversation.

Anyway, I hope its good I really do I'm just not a big fan of these bringing the monster to modern day take...they just lose a lot of character. For me werewolf By Night is what I want from universal. Great Monster designs, great setting, great music, good story, filmed well with a style that reflects the tones of the film, good acting and the none monster characters also had unique character designs and costumes.

I just want the movie to be good, man. until I become a studio executive, I'm probably not gonna be too fussed about all the other revenue streams a successful movie can generate.

Reactions: Nico
Anyway, I hope its good I really do I'm just not a big fan of these bringing the monster to modern day take...they just lose a lot of character. For me werewolf By Night is what I want from universal. Great Monster designs, great setting, great music, good story, filmed well with a style that reflects the tones of the film, good acting and the none monster characters also had unique character designs and costumes.
Sure, and I think it's fair to want a more classic wolfman somewhere. I think it's worth noting though that Universal has done three Dracula movies in the past two years, and is about to release a fourth (Nosferatu) and potentially a fifth if the Chloe Zhao one happens.

This isn't Star Wars, and it shouldn't be Star Wars. Two people can have radically different takes on the same character. That's what's cool about what Universal's doing. One person's interpretation doesn't preclude another's.

Reactions: Nico