Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 235 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't most of the conveyors have like a "pre-conveyor" to get the rafts out of the water and then onto the main belt? Not sure what pieces you saw, but there are seemingly a lot of those. Lots of them in random spots around the site.

028.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

042.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

052.jpg

051.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

074.jpg

071.jpg

085.jpg

098.jpg

096.jpg

100.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, back on topic, this is for Volcano Bay not Potter or bird poop.

Darn it, I had a joke queued up about hippogriff poop. Does that count?

In all seriousness, I am really considering how I can go to this park. I wear contact lenses and have always been worried about them getting washed out. Without them, I would probably go up to the wrong brunette and ask for a room key. Then, I'd get in trouble either way the answer went. I'm not sure that I want to wear goggles, either. I don't need to add on to dorkiness.

Darn it, I had a joke queued up about hippogriff poop. Does that count?

In all seriousness, I am really considering how I can go to this park. I wear contact lenses and have always been worried about them getting washed out. Without them, I would probably go up to the wrong brunette and ask for a room key. Then, I'd get in trouble either way the answer went. I'm not sure that I want to wear goggles, either. I don't need to add on to dorkiness.
I've worn contact lens to water parks & pools my entire live. Never had a problem or lost one in those situations......The only time I lost a lens was one time I was walking down the street with my ex wife. A really hot girl walked by, I gave a quick look, and the lens popped out of my eye. :lol: My ex never let me forget that one. And she was actually hotter than the girl I eyed up. She was a Marilyn Monroe look alike if there ever was one.

I've worn contact lens to water parks & pools my entire live. Never had a problem or lost one in those situations......The only time I lost a lens was one time I was walking down the street with my ex wife. A really hot girl walked by, I gave a quick look, and the lens popped out of my eye. :lol: My ex never let me forget that one. And she was actually hotter than the girl I eyed up. She was a Marilyn Monroe look alike if there ever was one.
The real question would be why that girl is an EX?!?!?!?! :eek:

;)

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
I call BS on the neoclassical/classical architecture.

I guess we're channeling Atlantis now..?

If we're doing Polynesian/Tiki, you do not get to have that sort of masonry.

Or maybe it is its own fictional place?

But everyone was saying Polynesian. This is a big diversion from that.

To explain a little - visually this is akin to a tiki totem right next to a totem pole.

And you have the abstract modern design items that integrate with the tube aesthetics.

So you've got this menagerie of cultural, mythical, and abstraction... it's looking like a kludge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to our bird poop on attractions controversy. I just found a great Jay Stein comment from Genneway's new book on Universal . (Page 145) Jay's (Jay Stein) standards were very high, and he joked that every building on the San Francisco pier "had the proper amount of bird poop". That was the level of detail he was seeking. In tribute, the Universal Creative team put Jay's face onto the archangel that overlooks Gramercy Park in the New York section.....So, if there's any bird poop on the Volcano, we now know the roots of that concept. :) Note: The OU editing software changed the word s_ _ t to poop in the quote.

I call BS on the neoclassical/classical architecture.

I guess we're channeling Atlantis now..?

If we're doing Polynesian/Tiki, you do not get to have that sort of masonry.
That was what I was wondering... that one building looks either Mayan or Incan, certainly nothing you would see in Polynesia.

Universal has never said that Volcano Bay is "Polynesian". All they said was "Pacific Isle". And you do find this kind of architecture across Micronesia and Indonesia. These are from Java, which is the volcanic island just west of Bali.

zill_t156bh.jpg

zill_t214bh.jpg

Thanks for finding those, I went looking last night but I guess my google was weak. I thought I remembered seeing something like that in the past. Bet they give them vines etc. to look like ruins ala mekong jungle cruise at MK.

Reactions: Mike S
It's not like we're seeing Tiki statues everywhere- so outside of thatched roofs, why would anyone assume Polynesia?

But even if it were based on just "Polynesia"- Malayo Polynesia has several charm buildings with that architecture. Particularly in Vietnam. But I thought a theming and architectural "expert" such as @epcyclopedia would know that already :p

tourists-at-group-d-and-c-temples-of-cham-ruins-at-world-heritage-my-picture-id148742982

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
It's not like we're seeing Tiki statues everywhere- so outside of thatched roofs, why would anyone assume Polynesia?

But even if it were based on just "Polynesia"- Malayo Polynesia has several charm buildings with that architecture. Particularly in Vietnam. But I thought a theming and architectural "expert" such as @epcyclopedia would know that already :p

tourists-at-group-d-and-c-temples-of-cham-ruins-at-world-heritage-my-picture-id148742982

FWIW there are whimsical tiki statues and thatched roofs. As UC said since day one they've pulled concepts from many places both in terms of theming and attraction line up.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
But everyone was saying Polynesian. This is a big diversion from that.

To explain a little - visually this is akin to a tiki totem right next to a totem pole.

And you have the abstract modern design items that integrate with the tube aesthetics.

So you've got this menagerie of cultural, mythical, and abstraction... it's looking like a kludge.

Universal has never said that Volcano Bay is "Polynesian". All they said was "Pacific Isle". And you do find this kind of architecture across Micronesia and Indonesia. These are from Java, which is the volcanic island just west of Bali.

zill_t156bh.jpg

zill_t214bh.jpg

Thanks for finding those, I went looking last night but I guess my google was weak. I thought I remembered seeing something like that in the past. Bet they give them vines etc. to look like ruins ala mekong jungle cruise at MK.

FWIW there are whimsical tiki statues and thatched roofs. As UC said since day one they've pulled concepts from many places both in terms of theming and attraction line up.

Also, if I wanted historically/culturally accurate representations of specific places, I would go there. Not rely on a water "theme" park.

Status
Not open for further replies.