Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 404 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Untrue, but still a gorgeous park. I mean, all the buildings have vinyl tight colourful roofing... how in theme is that?
It is true. So many people wear rose colored glasses at Disney Parks that they think there are no flaws. Typhoon Lagoon can't hold a candle to the themeing, or amenities that this park offers. It's miles above that barely updated decades old park.

It is true. So many people wear rose colored glasses at Disney Parks that they think there are no flaws. Typhoon Lagoon can't hold a candle to the themeing, or amenities that this park offers. It's miles above that barely updated decades old park.

I mean this has nothing to do with rose coloured glasses, I could care less about any of the waterparks, but disneys are still themed better. My opinion of course.

Reactions: Clive
^ Says Pandora is just a bunch of rocks and trees but calls Volcano Bay the best-themed waterpark in the world, "no questions". Yeah okay, buddy, we get it now... nice try.

As a kid, it would've blown my mind to see!

If the slides were all hidden inside I would've been way too scared to ride them. I still don't want to do the clear drop slide, but I can see that the serpentine ones at least have twists and turns this way, so I'll give them a try.

Some might say enclosing them would leave mystery, but there's a reason the biggest drops on Splash Mountain and Everest are outside the mountains and in guest view. Not just to create excitement, but to let you know *exactly* what you're getting yourself into.

I think this is the most valid point here. I'd feel uneasy going on a water slide I didn't know anything about as I have a much lower limit for what I'm prepared to do in a water park than a theme park.

I don't see the point of getting into an argument about it. Sure I think the exposed steel looks bad but it's not shown in the concept art which Universal thus far have been overly faithful too plus we're debating about an unfinished project.

Will it be 100% for opening? It's looking less and less unlikely but I have complete faith than when it's completely done, it will look fantastic.

Typhoon Lagoon can't hold a candle to the themeing, or amenities that this park offers. It's miles above that barely updated decades old park.
That is incorrect, as far as the theme goes. Typhoon Lagoon is much better themed just by the sheer virtue of having its slides much better integrated into the park. It also has a much simpler backstory that you can intuit just simply by walking around the park: a seaside village that was ravaged by a huge storm. Volcano Bay has kind of a goofy backstory about the island and the Waturi people that they're going to forcefeed you via a video on the bus ride over.

Personally, I judge how well a themed attraction is done by how engaging and intriguing the overall theme is and how well the attraction convinces you that it has transported you into the experience it is trying to represent. As much fun as I think Volcano Bay is going to be, there's not going to any escaping the reality of having I-4 and Cabana Bay and Turkey Lake and everything right there. Typhoon Lagoon is much more isolated and makes it much easier to believe you're really in this village, and the theme really does inform the design of everything throughout the park. The Waturi story is cute, but let's be honest, "finding a Pacific island to live on and then building a water park on it" is kind of a cop-out theme.

Except that this is very much within guest view. Guests will get up close and personal with the support tree:

1. While climbing the stairs of the manta mat racers.
2. While floating down the action river
3. While on board the water coaster
4. While queuing for the drop slides

The only option they have at this point is to pack it in with Bamboo, and even that won't really solve the problem.
The General public, which is the majority, will not think about it twice.. Only on here they will have to come to be educated on the "horrors" of the supports inside the volcano.

I think this is the most valid point here. I'd feel uneasy going on a water slide I didn't know anything about as I have a much lower limit for what I'm prepared to do in a water park than a theme park.

I don't see the point of getting into an argument about it. Sure I think the exposed steel looks bad but it's not shown in the concept art which Universal thus far have been overly faithful too plus we're debating about an unfinished project.

Will it be 100% for opening? It's looking less and less unlikely but I have complete faith than when it's completely done, it will look fantastic.

Obviously everyone is different. As a kid I would have been far more afraid of the slides seeing them as they are now, but hidden I'd likely be far less scared, as I'd have no idea what I was in store for. Also as a kid I'd have been able to understand, big scary volcano = big scary rides.

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
34r7w4m.jpg
a17fh1.jpg

I'm still having trouble with this mess.

It's like the more I see of it, the worse it gets. Yikes.

Is this because they screwed themselves over announcing an opening date far too early and they couldn't meet it? Or was this eyesore always part of the plans? Again... looking at this. How can anyone argue this is THEME PARK level stuff?
Its a supercharged plussed up raging waters.

Reactions: adjjb

Someone actually posted concept art a while ago showing the backside was always planned this way.

Reactions: fryoj
What bothers me more from a theming perspective is the plain round supports on Taniwha Tubes. Those poles are begging to be made into fake tall trees.

Reactions: Trumen882
Someone actually posted concept art a while ago showing the backside was always planned this way.
Yes, I posted some concept art of it a couple days ago:
Also, while on the argument on the backside of the volcano, I never saw the big deal. For the most part it looks just like the concept art promised since the beginning. I realize some rockwork around the base may have changed, but that can be fixed with more foliage. As far as the open backside, it's always been the plan, as seen in concept art below:

MakuPuihi1.jpg

BodySlides01.jpg

Reactions: Scott W. and Evan
Anyways, when vb opens and this thing erupts at night, or day also I believe...The only support that will be mentioned, is the support all other waterparks will need:>

Reactions: Joel
Status
Not open for further replies.