Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, in a more recent OBJ article dated May 24, 2017, the same author wrote the following:

Universal Orlando Resort is putting a bow on the construction of Volcano Bay as the new water park nears its May 25 grand opening.

One of the latest work permits filed with Orange County is for cabana "general construction of structure, concrete, shell, roofing, rough carpentry and finishes" for Universal's Project 533 — also known as Volcano Bay. The permit valued the work at $2.15 million with Winter Park-based The Wilsten Group as the contractor.

Not yet. In all fairness, we have yet to discuss our concerns with the General Contractor. My intent in posting was to ask if anyone knew what expectations Universal has regarding the subs that are hired to work on their projects. On the advice of a friend who does a lot of construction work for the attractions in Orlando, I will inform the GC and the sub of what took place and asking for the wages to be paid prior to submitting a complaint to the DPPR and filing a mechanics claim to place a lien on the project.

And as stated in a reply to another post, the permit for the project valued 2.16 million for the construction of the cabanas.

There are about 6-7 young men who were not paid that corroborate the points listed above. My son, who is 19 and took the job after his freshman year in college to try to earn money for a car. His last two weeks that went unpaid totaled 140 hours. He was told they had to meet a deadline and asked him to recruit his friends to help. One of those who he recruited was 17. I learned about this just a few days ago and have been trying to figure out the best steps to take.

I apologize for not replying last night. Perhaps I should not have even posted here. I am unfamiliar with the construction industry and rarely (almost never) post in forums. I came across this one as I was trying to find out about Universal's requirements/expectations for their GC's. I have since talked to a friend who has given me some next steps to take that I mentioned in a reply to another post.

We aren't not familiar with UOR's requirements for contractors. Best to follow what others have suggested and go trough the proper channels.

In this part of the country, just about every union construction company drug tests employees. Some of them have trouble finding employees that pass the tests, but they drug test, and will not hire those who fail. Non union contractors & sub contractors though, have different standards. Some test, some don't.

I think few visitors to a park would be excited to learn that the ladder they were climbing or the elevated platform they were standing on was constructed by someone smoking crack.

I think visitors already think Universal was smoking crack when they came up with some aspects of this park. :lol:

I don't doubt that at all... although I wouldn't think that the prevalence of drug use on construction sites would make Universal any less concerned that it was happening during the construction of their waterpark. I think few visitors to a park would be excited to learn that the ladder they were climbing or the elevated platform they were standing on was constructed by someone smoking crack. I am not suggesting that Universal does not thoroughly test all structures to meet safety guidelines, but the optics of it are disconcerting.

Wow, I've been on plenty of job sites where people were smoking weed (it's pretty much mandatory for painters) and uppers (especially on 3rd shift) but I'd think crack would make it hard to get work done...

People smoke weed on every construction site I have seen lol. When there's construction on he highway I see a blunt almost every time lol. But a construction site for Universal with drugs is surprising to me

I was wondering just about how many people the 230lbs vs 200lbs max-weight limits excludes from riding. So in today's day n age, I decided to look for some facts to answer that questions (shocking, I know).

The two sources I used are the 2010 US Census, and "Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 2011–2014" punished by the CDC.

The average male (over 20 years old) weighs: 195.7 lbs (VERY close to the old max weight).
The average female (over 20 years old) weighs: 168.5 lbs.

FOR MEN
At max-weight of 200lbs, approximately 40-50% of American men were UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.
At max-weight of 230lbs, approximately 15-20% of American men are UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.

Based on the 2010 census, the 30lb increase in max-weight allows for 38 million - 45.5 million MORE American men to be able to ride these slides.

ss 2017-07-10 at 9.12.13 AM.jpg

FOR WOMEN

At max-weight of 200lbs, approximately 20% of American women were UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.
At max-weight of 230lbs, approximately 10% of American women are UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.

Based on the 2010 census, the 30lb increase in max-weight allows for 15.7 million MORE American women to be able to ride these slides.

ss 2017-07-10 at 9.12.05 AM.jpg

That's a huge bump! (pun intended)

I was wondering just about how many people the 230lbs vs 200lbs max-weight limits excludes from riding. So in today's day n age, I decided to look for some facts to answer that questions (shocking, I know).

The two sources I used are the 2010 US Census, and "Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 2011–2014" punished by the CDC.

The average male (over 20 years old) weighs: 195.7 lbs (VERY close to the old max weight).
The average female (over 20 years old) weighs: 168.5 lbs.

FOR MEN
At max-weight of 200lbs, approximately 40-50% of American men were UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.
At max-weight of 230lbs, approximately 15-20% of American men are UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.

Based on the 2010 census, the 30lb increase in max-weight allows for 38 million - 45.5 million MORE American men to be able to ride these slides.

View attachment 4800

FOR WOMEN

At max-weight of 200lbs, approximately 20% of American women were UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.
At max-weight of 230lbs, approximately 10% of American women are UNABLE to ride the serpentine slides.

Based on the 2010 census, the 30lb increase in max-weight allows for 15.7 million MORE American women to be able to ride these slides.

View attachment 4799

That's a huge bump! (pun intended)
Nice research...And I would guess that the demographic (the young and more fit) that mostly attends water parks , would actually push those exemption percentages (of those attending a water park) much lower. So, the bottom line, is that probably only a pretty small percentage of those showing up at a water park would be unable to ride a 230 pound limit slide.

This is an interesting concept. In the second half of the video, everything starts blue, then erupts red with the blue down the face slowly changing to red, top to bottom.

Just watched Dante's Peak again on the flight home from July 4th in Kennebunkport, ME (@Teebin's stopping ground). THIS IS HUGELY INCONSIDERATE TO ACTUAL VICTIMS OF VOLCANOES. #boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.