Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So as reported on the Disney Dish, Disney is testing new Lighting Pass and Lighting Pass + attractions access plus more virtual lines and boarding groups. This sounds miserable.

Oof, there's a *lot* to unpack here. There's a lot to say about this, too. But to keep this somewhat manageable...

Considering how WDW's system couldn't handle FP+ and Boarding Groups, adding multiple other elements to it (Standby Passes, Genie etc.) is a choice.

Add in closing off standby at whatever capacity/wait they deem, ughh. Cedar Point learned real quick this year that guests really don't like lines getting closed off early to wrap up for the night. I really doubt WDW guests are gonna' be understanding if a line is closed off at any time during the day, and told to get a pass to get in the standby...but it's not FP. I really feel for the CM's since this is going to be a nightmare explaining to guests...which brings up...

I wonder, if with Genie, this is a feature not a bug.

It honestly feels like they're purposely tanking their lines just to sell anything off Genie/Lightning Lane + etc., and for me that's probably one of the scummiest things you could do. You could joke that a lesser park would do something like that, but it feels like this is what Disney is doing...and this does not sit well with me.

I know very well that all theme parks are a business and a main goal is parting folks from their money. This is no secret, they all want our money! Thing is, it's pretty easy to do if you give guests a great experience. Be it the rides they offer, great customer service, efficient ops etc. Make a guest happy, they're staying longer and buying all the important food and merch. The past several trips for me (Cedar Point, Uni (multiple times), King's Island and WDW last December), have all been good times! So it was easy shelling out the cash.

But all these hoops just to get in line for a ride? I don't see myself enjoying that one bit, it's just a punishment to try and upsell the expedited line system. That's the kind of perception which leads me to spending my money elsewhere, since over at the Cedar Fair parks and Uni, it never feels like anyone without a Express Pass or Fastlane is getting punished for not having one. It's a nice thing to have, yes. But everyone can still have a great day at the parks without one thanks to a plethora of rides and great ops...that and you can just get in line for them at anytime.

As for Disney, I really don't like this kind of direction they're taking. There's skating on thin ice, and then there's playing with fire at the exact same time. An if that ice breaks, that water is unforgivingly cold.

I do find the One-Time Quick Queue purchase options at SW and BGT rather interesting

I'm not sure if it's used as much or makes as much as I think it does

I find it interesting because people can pick and choose which ride lines they want to skip in place of buying a pass flat out

In some respects you can end up paying more to skip specific lines instead of buying a pass to just skip everything in the first place

ANYWAY...I was expecting Disney to take that route someday..They're just making it way more complicated from the sounds of it

This would have to be the watershed moment, right? The straw that finally broke the camel’s back. If what I just read comes true…that might be it for me and my wife, and we are Disney fanatics. Former CPs, former APs (only reason we didn’t renew was because of Covid), always stay on property. We are the Disney loyalists. Did we grumble every year as ticket and hotel prices went up? Yeah, but we still went.

But this new line system? How many rides will you be able to get on if you refuse to pay for any upgrades? 6? Less than 10 for sure, and that does not justify the price of a ticket to get in, and I’m not going to pay an extra $50 so my family can ride Tower of Terror.

I’m also wondering how they expect this to work, as a Disney nut this is overly complicated even for me. Can you imagine John Q. Public showing up with his family and encountering this? How are you going to get repeat business?

This has got to be the point where enough people stop going and Disney has to change things. Right…..???

I mean the lines at guest relations are going to be massive…maybe you will be able to purchase Lightning Lane for that.

Can someone save me time and advise if this effects my trip early Sept? Is there a way I can test this new system and find a way to destroy it from within?

It's going to be really interesting when EU opens. I think Disney's in for a rude awakening.
The EU is the weridlest place to try it out. I know things have turned around a little there but isn't that park pretty much the least attended? To me I feel like this will just push people away who already didn't care for Disney that much over in Paris

I thought Disney Paris is trying out a new paid fast pass system?
Paris has had a paid system for YEARS in addition to their regular Fastpass system.

That being said, they are trying out a new system which (from my reading) is less complicated than the ones being floated for WDW

Additionally, the EU reference was definitely in regards to Epic Universe

Imagine a highly themed new park opens that is Disney level, but more guest friendly. That would make Disney look pretty bad.

The skeptic/cynic in me says guests will spend less time in line... because lines won't be open for them to enter!

Has there been any evidence out of Paris yet regarding how the new changes there are impacting queues and crowd control? Obviously the attendance there is likely a fraction of what it is in Florida, but I'd be interested to see some data.

My gut reaction -- having not fully digested everything yet -- is that this is a messy cash-grab... but not quite as bad as it could have been.

1. Disney does not seem to be implementing the "close the standby queue at an arbitrary time" thing from Paris. (Which is good.)
2. It's basically a paid FP option (Disney Genie+) alongside the ability to purchase immediate access to a limited number of rides.
3. No more reservations in advance. All reservations will happen day of visit. (This is also good).
4. Per some other sources, resort guests and offsite guests are on equal footing when it comes to Disney Genie+, but resort guests will have a headstart for the à la carte purchase options.

I am not in favor of monetizing a benefit that used to be included with admission, so I still don't like this at all. But it should not impact the guest experience as dramatically as would happen if Paris' system was implemented at WDW.

2. It's basically a paid FP option (Disney Genie+) alongside the ability to purchase immediate access to a limited number of rides.

Paid FP, but the E-tickets only available as an upcharge (as my reading of it goes). Ideally that cuts demand severely for E-ticket fastpass access, shortening lines, while distributing a lot of guests around the C- and D-tickets that generally can handle a crowd and were always better suited to FP. I realize the obsessive Disney fans are irate that free FP is gone, but this should be an overall win for the more casual guests.

As long as the price of all E-tickets is roughly comparable to a Universal Express pass, I think they are of comparable value. The main difference is Disney is providing a lower buy-in for fewer benefits.

Paid FP, but the E-tickets only available as an upcharge (as my reading of it goes). Ideally that cuts demand severely for E-ticket fastpass access, shortening lines, while distributing a lot of guests around the C- and D-tickets that generally can handle a crowd and were always better suited to FP. I realize the obsessive Disney fans are irate that free FP is gone, but this should be an overall win for the more casual guests.

As long as the price of all E-tickets is roughly comparable to a Universal Express pass, I think they are of comparable value. The main difference is Disney is providing a lower buy-in for fewer benefits.

It does sound like there will be plenty of (what Disney considers to be) E-tickets available as part of the new FP. Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, and Smuggler's Run are name-checked as examples in the Parks Blog piece. It appears that the "pay for immediate access" options are going to be fairly limited to a handful.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It does sound like there will be plenty of (what Disney considers to be) E-tickets available as part of the new FP. Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, and Smuggler's Run are name-checked as examples in the Parks Blog piece. It appears that the "pay for immediate access" options are going to be fairly limited to a handful.
It means, you won't be getting on those rides if you don't pay extra. That's what that means.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
My immediate reaction is cautious optimism. Getting rid of the advanced reservations and going back to the old method of holding 1 attraction at a time is a huge win in my book. It remains to be seen how many people will be willing to pay the $15 per day, but I suspect that most will just fork it over. We can only hope that isn't the case. I know it's easy to point to Universal's Express pass options as the way to go, but that just isn't sustainable for Disney. Imagine 1/3 of Disney's hotel guests getting unlimited immediate rides on Peter Pan. Yikes!

It means, you won't be getting on those rides if you don't pay extra. That's what that means.

I don't think so. Those attractions will not be included in the Genie+ options, and I highly doubt that so many people are going to pay that the entire line gets filled up in the morning for the entire day.

The Parks Blog piece says the standby option will remain.

Reactions: SeventyOne
and I highly doubt that so many people are going to pay that the entire line gets filled up in the morning for the entire day.
It will certainly be filled up. What's an extra 10 dollars more when this is your family's once-in-a-lifetime visit to Walt Disney World? Sure they could try the line, but wouldn't you like the immediate assurance that you'll get on the ride along with the potential time savings you gain to go on other rides? If there's a choice, people will take every advantage they can get given limited time and supply.

Anyways, good on Disney to announce this, Ratatouille virtual queue, and removal of mask mandates on the same day ;)