Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WaterWorld Pre-show Music?

Dec 12, 2015
Media Building North
Hello! This is my first post here at the USHforums and I just had one quick question. 

I was just curious to see if anyone knew the name of the WaterWorld Pre-Show music. I'm talking about the music that plays when everyone in filing in and performers throw buckets of water on guests. 

You can hear it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7lti2sdmr_c?feature=oembed

Any help IDing it would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

It's a loop of the first 30 seconds of "Deacon's Speech" from the Waterworld soundtrack :)

Last edited by a moderator:
99% of all the music in the show is from the soundtrack. The very few exceptions are the final explosion where music was added to make it more dramatic and the sound effects. The only live microphones up till about year 2011-2012 was the Deacon and Helen, everything else was canned and prerecorded.  There were tons of audio and music cues created for the show that live at show, but were never used in the show. I guess this is mainly due to script changes that happened before the show opening in 1995.

Show System Information:

It was built to last three years, it was twelve years old in 2007. The show & sound control system was designed in 1995 using an Amiga computer. It was old technology, and poorly documented. But it still did the job. The show system had two main parts, the PLCs for Animation & Fire control, and the main show controller. The show controller talks to the PLCs via MSC using two Golder interfaces. Which includes the Pyrodigital system used for pyrotechnics. MIDI was used to control the audio. All show audio was stored on 8 hard drives that were installed in a Alcorn McBride Digital Binloop. Sounds effects such a punches, body slams, and some canned audio was triggered from a Peavey PC1600x MIDI Command Station.

In 2007, Universal Studios Hollywood decided to update this old audio & control system with ShowMan & SoundMan-Server software to be run on a Windows XP computer. The many Command/Cue audio hardware frames & Digital Binloop was replaced with compact MOTU computer audio interfaces.

99% of all the music in the show is from the soundtrack. The very few exceptions are the final explosion where music was added to make it more dramatic and the sound effects. The only live microphones up till about year 2011-2012 was the Deacon and Helen, everything else was canned and prerecorded.  There were tons of audio and music cues created for the show that live at show, but were never used in the show. I guess this is mainly due to script changes that happened before the show opening in 1995.

Show System Information:

It was built to last three years, it was twelve years old in 2007. The show & sound control system was designed in 1995 using an Amiga computer. It was old technology, and poorly documented. But it still did the job. The show system had two main parts, the PLCs for Animation & Fire control, and the main show controller. The show controller talks to the PLCs via MSC using two Golder interfaces. Which includes the Pyrodigital system used for pyrotechnics. MIDI was used to control the audio. All show audio was stored on 8 hard drives that were installed in a Alcorn McBride Digital Binloop. Sounds effects such a punches, body slams, and some canned audio was triggered from a Peavey PC1600x MIDI Command Station.

In 2007, Universal Studios Hollywood decided to update this old audio & control system with ShowMan & SoundMan-Server software to be run on a Windows XP computer. The many Command/Cue audio hardware frames & Digital Binloop was replaced with compact MOTU computer audio interfaces.

Show System Information:

Oh wow! Thanks for the info! I know recently they replaced the old sound system from when it opened with a Bose RoomMatch array speakers that are hanging from a newly installed truss system. Bose would not have been my first choice for the new system for obvious reasons, but it seems like NBC Uni. struck up some deal with Bose which probably got them a discount on the RoomMatch speakers. The old speakers were EAW (model slips my mind at the moment) and EAW SB250 cabinets. They were mounted underneath many of the show towers along with various effects equipment such as lighting. 

In fact, some of the speakers previously used in the WaterWorld show are still being used. Though they are used rarely and for mostly special CW events where a little extra sound reinforcement is needed.

I made an edit of the entire show music from the soundtrack and found those last few notes during the explosion finale to be missing.  LOL, I'm happy this was proved!  I wish the theme park would release the official edits.

The old speakers were EAW (model slips my mind at the moment) and EAW SB250 cabinets. They were mounted underneath many of the show towers along with various effects equipment such as lighting.
They used variations of the KF300 throughout the years alongside the SB250. Universal also had large-format speakers from Community's R series embedded in the scenery before they were replaced with models from EAW's QX series.

They used variations of the KF300 throughout the years alongside the SB250. Universal also had large-format speakers from Community's R series embedded in the scenery before they were replaced with models from EAW's QX series.
Oh wow! That's really cool and really coincidental. I actually got my hands on about 10 of the old Disneyland parade route KF300 speakers. 

I have an album of pictures of the ones I bought: http://imgur.com/a/qZksk

They were painted black but the original green paint is still visible inside. 

I remember seeing the old Community speakers in the scenery. They didn't look too good at the time they were replaced. Hopefully the QX-series will fare as-good or better than the Communitys.

Thanks a lot for the information, Jon!

-Mitch

I remember seeing the old Community speakers in the scenery. They didn't look too good at the time they were replaced. Hopefully the QX-series will fare as-good or better than the Communitys.
I'd be curious to see how well they're faring. If you're interested, the total specification list for the show is the following:

- Various Bose RoomMatch modules (each module has a different dispersion pattern)

- 72 Bose MB12 subwoofers arranged in an odd cardioid fashion underneath the bleachers

- QSC AD-S12s for surround effects

- Community WETs for frontfill effects

- EAW QXs embedded in the scenery for localized effects

Why Bose? Alongside the fact that the park is filled with their products, I was also told that they wanted to (surprise surprise) prevent noise from spilling into the surrounding neighborhoods. Live ammunition in the show has either been reduced or eliminated completely, with the sound system taking over.

If you notice carefully, you'll also notice that they no longer use a live horn to signal the Deacon. Everything has been recorded for playback.

Nice find with the Disneyland parade route speakers! I wouldn't mind bidding for some of their systems if I had the cash. Disneyland Resort is really a treasure trove of high-end tech.

I remember back in the early 2000s that I was curious to see just how many of the special effects were not "piped in" because I remember the sounds of the guns sounding quite realistic as well as the Deacon horn. When I saw the show recently, it was kind of disappointed to see just how many of the sounds were piped in. I don't make it into the park very often but I was still surprised to see how much the show changed between the early 2000s and 2014 (new props, rebuilt Fuel tank, etc)

As for the Disneyland speakers, you can find auctions with their audio equipment around SoCal. They will rarely, if ever, tell you they came from Disney, but it's really easy to tell to the well-trained eye. I mean, what other location would have over 80 Crown MacroTech amplifiers to auction off? 

The only problem with buying Disney's old audio gear is that it was often used for a VERY long time. Take the old parade-route speakers. They were installed in late 1990s and early 2000s for more than 16 hours a day for 15 years, out in the weather.... a much harder life than most speakers ever get in their lifetime. 

Just a little warning.

Thanks!
-Mitch

I made an edit of the entire show music from the soundtrack and found those last few notes during the explosion finale to be missing.  LOL, I'm happy this was proved!  I wish the theme park would release the official edits.
That must of taken a lot of time.. If you have the entire show... there's no work at all to be done :p  

I remember back in the early 2000s that I was curious to see just how many of the special effects were not "piped in" because I remember the sounds of the guns sounding quite realistic as well as the Deacon horn. When I saw the show recently, it was kind of disappointed to see just how many of the sounds were piped in. I don't make it into the park very often but I was still surprised to see how much the show changed between the early 2000s and 2014 (new props, rebuilt Fuel tank, etc)

As for the Disneyland speakers, you can find auctions with their audio equipment around SoCal. They will rarely, if ever, tell you they came from Disney, but it's really easy to tell to the well-trained eye. I mean, what other location would have over 80 Crown MacroTech amplifiers to auction off? 

The only problem with buying Disney's old audio gear is that it was often used for a VERY long time. Take the old parade-route speakers. They were installed in late 1990s and early 2000s for more than 16 hours a day for 15 years, out in the weather.... a much harder life than most speakers ever get in their lifetime. 

Just a little warning.

Thanks!

-Mitch

Mitch is correct about the Disney speakers. I have friends over at DLR whom work on their park sound system. But still nice to have if found.

There has always been loudness issues with the show. Not for CityWalk but the neighbors in the community. There are random sound samples taken when the show runs from various streets near USH. In early 2000, the show's sound system was eq'd differently to allow of more low end sound and lower the high and mid levels on the towers. This worked great and made a lot of the community happier. But when HHN used the venue for Slaughter World the issues came back as the shows Producers liked the music to be loud. :$

Mitch is correct about the Disney speakers. I have friends over at DLR whom work on their park sound system. But still nice to have if found.
I'm curious how much they depreciate in value over time.

The d&b audiotechnik system over at Fantasmic gets doused with hundreds of gallons of water, pyrotechnics and flames during each performance. I'm curious who'd be interested in them unless they're a very specific collector.

Of course, I'm sure Disney maintains their equipment to the highest degree as well, so who knows...

... I wish the theme park would release the official edits.
Count your blessings... Universal never releases park attraction music... Universal doesn't have a Randy Thornton, they do have someone who manages all the day to day park BGM but when an attraction is completed that's it nothing is ever produced for the consumer and I highly doubt it will ever happen. I know how they run their business. If it happens, I would be completely amazed. 

I'm curious how much they depreciate in value over time.

The d&b audiotechnik system over at Fantasmic gets doused with hundreds of gallons of water, pyrotechnics and flames during each performance. I'm curious who'd be interested in them unless they're a very specific collector.

Of course, I'm sure Disney maintains their equipment to the highest degree as well, so who knows...
I can't say very much for the indoor audio gear at Disneyland, but I can say from the many outdoor speakers I've gotten from there that Disney keeps their audio systems in top shape. The only reason why Disney decided to replace the old speakers wasn't because they no longer worked, it was because the grills were coming loose and were becoming a hazard to anyone that walked underneath them. Also, they decided it was time to replace them because parts were becoming scarce.

Since then, Disneyland has by-far the most advanced and best-sounding park-wide PA systems in existence. Though I am proud to call Universal my home, I am rather envious of the thought and money Disney puts into their park sound systems. 

As for value, their monetary value is quite low after they are removed from the park because of the sheer amount of hours they've racked up over the years, however, because of their history, they have a lot of sentimental value to a lot of people. 

Who is interested in the former park speakers? Me. I guess you could call me a collector. 

I've collected speakers from both Universal Parks in the US and both US Disney Parks, for no other reason than they are quite a conversation piece. I bought a custom-built speaker from CityWalk Orlando because I thought it looked cool. I bought a cylindrical speaker with a 360 degree coverage pattern from Walt Disney World because I knew I could use it in my backyard for parties.  

HOWEVER, I bought the Disneyland Main Street speakers, not because they looked cool, but because they played a key role in why I love theme park music. I grew up listening to several parades and shows through those speakers, as have over 150,000,000 people. The first thing people hear when they enter the park is music playing through those speakers. I just find that quite cool to have a (little unorthodox) piece of Disneyland history in my living room. 

Sorry for my long ramble. I know this is a Universal forum, but I took an opportunity and took it :)

-Mitch

Hello! This is my first post here at the USHforums and I just had one quick question.

I was just curious to see if anyone knew the name of the WaterWorld Pre-Show music. I'm talking about the music that plays when everyone in filing in and performers throw buckets of water on guests.

You can hear it in this video:

WATER WORLD PRESHOW HD UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD - YouTube

Any help IDing it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Walk-In Music - WaterWorld: A Live Sea War Spectacular: