WaterWorld | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

WaterWorld

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've been told by Show Control and Attraction lead member that WaterWorld is not to go due to the immense popularity of the show. (Which is pretty obvious). They are aware of the Evolution Plan, and have no plans at this time to get rid of the attraction. Gibson can fit the actual attraction and Hogsmeade in some fashion as told. The UC team are planning for HP, and told me they showed it to very few top lead employees.

WaterWorld is guaranteed to stay until 2015. After that - who knows.

Every removed attraction at USH has been very popular. No attraction (except for the Creature show) has been closed or removed due to unpopularity. Like Jon said, WW will stay till 2015 and afterwards, if they think of a suitable new show or E ticket to replace it with, it'll be gone. Nothing is safe at USH except Jurassic Park.

WaterWorls is very popular but it's also very expensive. Knowing USH, they'll want to find a high quality replacement that'll be cheaper to operate.

I guarantee you the day Waterworld closes/gets replaced you will see me from park opening to closing laying on the floor of the show sobbing.

Gauranteed.
Yeah, WaterWorld is the only thing remaining at Universal that I remember as a kid. I'll miss that show when it's gone.

But on a better note, it looks like they're upgrading WaterWorld's audio in the very near future. So yay for that.

Edit: Has anyone seen this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f32xsOM3qms?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool video!

Now don't stone me for saying this but...I am ready for something different to go in Waterworld's spot. It's had a very nice run, but I look forward to whatever they have up their sleeves as far as a new attraction goes.  

Let the attacks begin.....now. ;)

Reactions: Jon Fu
Now don't stone me for saying this but...I am ready for something different to go in Waterworld's spot. It's had a very nice run, but I look forward to whatever they have up their sleeves as far as a new attraction goes.  

I completely agree. I really do love the show, but it has run its course and I'd love to see something new that's an improvement over what they currently have (key word: improvement).

That being said, if they're going to replace this with another 3D simulator...forget it. I'd rather keep WaterWorld. Good shows are hard to find in a theme park and WaterWorld hits all the right marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said, if they're going to replace this with another 3D simulator...forget it. I'd rather keep WaterWorld. Good shows are hard to find in a theme park and WaterWorld hits all the right marks.
 I agree as well. No more 3D simulators! Universal Creative should try being creative and do something different.

Very cool video

Out of everything that has been replaced in the past I fear the most for Waterworld because anything the replaces the show will not be adequate as a replacement. Not so much for its nostalgia but for its raw entertainment and "shock"(fire diver, piro, hand to hand combat, sea plane, and lots and lots of water). As a full attraction Waterworld will be the largest loss to USH. 

I've got renewed faith in USH with current ownership. So far they have shown to go above and beyond what previous ownership had done and for now at least seem to be one upping Disney on everything. Until they show me otherwise I will continue to have faith and trust in Comcast and USH.

I'm gonna be honest, I've never seen the Waterworld film. I think the show is fantastic, and can certainly serve as its own story. Guests can easily watch and enjoy the show without worrying about if they've seen the film or not (and quite frankly, I don't think most of the guests who see the show know it's based upon a movie). Overall, it's an awesome show that I'm definitely gonna miss - no doubt about that!

I guarantee you the day Waterworld closes/gets replaced you will see me from park opening to closing laying on the floor of the show sobbing.

Gauranteed.
I think one of the things I'll miss the most is seeing Greg Dolph as The Deacon.  :( "Hi, I'm Tiger Woods!"

I've got renewed faith in USH with current ownership. So far they have shown to go above and beyond what previous ownership had done and for now at least seem to be one upping Disney on everything. Until they show me otherwise I will continue to have faith and trust in Comcast and USH.
True, but I understand BehindTheTheme's concerns. I don't think money will necessarily equal success when it comes to theme park shows. Just look at Creature. Very high production values, but almost universally panned by fans. WaterWorld - in all honestly - was a fluke, in that it just works. Plus, they've had the advantage of honing the performance into a well oiled machine for the past decade or so.

Personally speaking, I think many theme park stunt shows suffer from periods of dead space. WaterWorld succeeds because it's constant action happening all around you. There's never an awkward transition period, and the entire show is just seamless.

That's my concern. Whether or not this formula can work with another franchise.

I'm gonna be honest, I've never seen the Waterworld film. I think the show is fantastic, and can certainly serve as its own story. Guests can easily watch and enjoy the show without worrying about if they've seen the film or not (and quite frankly, I don't think most of the guests who see the show know it's based upon a movie). Overall, it's an awesome show that I'm definitely gonna miss - no doubt about that!
Same here. Watched the show before I watched the film. For a while there, I thought the show inspired the movie since nothing really links up (some say the show is a sequel to the film, but I'm not familiar enough with the film to make that connection).

The film's fine, but it's just too long. I don't think it's as bad as many make it out to be, and Universal ended up making back its investment (albeit slowly).

True, but I understand BehindTheTheme's concerns. I don't think money will necessarily equal success when it comes to theme park shows. Just look at Creature. Very high production values, but almost universally panned by fans. WaterWorld - in all honestly - was a fluke, in that it just works. Plus, they've had the advantage of honing the performance into a well oiled machine for the past decade or so.

Personally speaking, I think many theme park stunt shows suffer from periods of dead space. WaterWorld succeeds because it's constant action happening all around you. There's never an awkward transition period, and the entire show is just seamless.

That's my concern. Whether or not this formula can work with another franchise.
I get that.

My problem with WaterWorld is that you have too much going on at once. You could be looking to the left where some action is happening but then you'll be missing somethings that are going on the other side of the stage. The audience's eyes need to move with the action. Another issue I have is that biggest surprise and most impactful part of the show the plane crash,happens two thirds of the way through. Everything else is kind of a let down after that. . IMHO

Call me old school, but, this was the show that I grew up with at USH when I was a kid. Watch this video, its one of the original western stunt shows at USH, this was the original format. I would say this was a better and simple format. If USH ever goes back to doing another stunt after WaterWorld closes, they need to go back to this format

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZK7juMWOE

I like WaterWorld. I didn't grow up watching it (wasn't a fan of theme park shows...but also I didn't even know it existed because it's so hidden haha!)

But it's a very fast paced and cool show, i love the stunts and pyrotechnics. A ride will definitely replace the show, and it better be a good one. I don't think Universal will ever make another show like WaterWorld considering how expensive it is.

I get that.

My problem with WaterWorld is that you have too much going on at once. You could be looking to the left where some action is happening but then you'll be missing somethings that are going on the other side of the stage.
Yep, different strokes!

But whatever they replace it with, it better be big. I'm talking Forbidden Journey or better, because anything else would be a travesty.

I'm willing to bet that waterworlds space will  be that rumored great hall restraunt or that preposed show but for now someone can dream. i have to admit though that i *Like* waterworld the movie and show. sure it got bad response but the show is fine as it puts you in the action and i enjoy that but to be frank here.... was it nessacary. just a small thought as they could've replaced it with a jurassic park show with the t-rex or better yet to tease the mummy have a show indoors that would of been themed to the first film and the action would be all around you. and i would say if that happened we could of got a first for the industry. in the show in the seats they are grounded but in the bottom of and top of the seats in one scene the room could go dark and beetles started attacking you. and the show is high thrill, scary but fun and not like It's tough to be a bug (that pile of..... you know that scared me) and would have a lot of great oppertunitys for universal to do if they went that direction. pay homage to classic and rebooted that time. sadly we have waterworld.

Isn't the Waterworld area going to stay for a pretty long time after construction starts on Potter? I remember that the Evolution Plan shows that it'll be replaced with a new attraction along with retail (or something along those lines), which would make sense for Potter, but why would they start demolishing it almost 2 years after demolition began on the Gibson? Doesn't seem to add up.

I truly believe that WaterWorld will stay until at LEAST 2018. Harry Potter hype would need to die down a bit before they start replacing WaterWorld. Till then, it's a super popular people eating show.

And I hope that it won't be replaced by anything Potter related.....any more than what we're getting is over kill in our little USH.