Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW 50th Celebration

Everything I've heard suggests Lightcycle Run will not be coming because of the ride vehicle and WDW's bigger guest size.

That said, a Tron attraction is still being considered.

I can't imagine what kind of concept that could be. The lightcycles are the most memorable elements of those movies, and I think doing anything else with TRON would be a stretch.

As this can be interpreted as rumor until proven; but the source has been somewhat reliable in the past.

From Dre (@VashSky) on Twitter, after SWL; WDW will be focusing on getting the rest of the parks fully ready for the 50th anniversary with the following.

Overall
  • Disney is looking to update older attractions with more characters from the Disney brand
DAK
  • Rivers of Light would stay up until 2020, as the show would then be replaced with an overhaul, with bringing in Disney characters; for the 50th Anniversary
EPCOT
  • Spain would be happening, as Disney is currently offering sponsorship for the land
  • Gigantic would be featured as a new attraction for Spain
  • Ratatouille would be coming to Paris, with the possibility of Coco coming to Mexico
  • GOTG is reportedly still on the table, with Test Track potentially seeing another overhaul but to the Cars 3 character; Storm Jackson (depending on the new film's success)
Magic Kingdom
  • Tron Lightcycle Power Run would be potentially coming to Tomorrowland (depending on the Tron remake's success), as it wouldn't be a surprise to see Autopia go if that happens
  • Tomorrowland would receive a new overhaul
  • Wreck It Ralph is still potentially going to happen, as Dre praises Mario Kart albeit a tiny bit, alluding to the practical information we have known on the forums
Dre also talked about Disneyland's plans, as you can find that at Dre's twitter page.
AK doesn't seem to be getting much. A massive Everest refurb or a Dinorama replacement would be nice (maybe for 2022-2024?)

If Japan were to get a Mt. Fuji E-ticket, I'd say World Showcase would be set with 2 Ds (Rat and Gigantic), 1 B (whatever goes to the UK), the RoE replacement and hopefully updates to the three CircleVision films.

Test Track's fine.... it needs to get in line behind Imagination, Energy, M:S, Nemo, LwtL and SSE, in that order. Really, it doesn't need another update until at least 2025. The attractions above have needed an update for 3+ years now, some even for 10+ years.

I support the Speedway getting removed if (a) part of it is for a small Fantasyland expansion like a Wonderland or 100 Acre Wood mini-land and (b) space is made for a guest path into the slated expansion pad behind it and Space Mt

Honestly, I'd rather the GotG E-ticket go into Tomorrowland than Energy or ToT. It may be Marvel, but its sci-fi aesthetic can work if the land is overhauled. TRON doesn't make sense without lightcycles IMO and Wreck-it Ralph only fits in Tomorrowland if the ride is purely Hero's Duty-centric. It wouldn't be preferred, but if that's what it takes to salvage Epcot's integrity....

Wreck-it Ralph would be a nice compromise if they do keep the Speedway (outdoor section themed to Sugar Rush, indoor climax themed to Hero's Duty as a real Fantasyland/Tomorrowland transition), but that still leaves Stitch in horrendous shape, the CoP untouched and Space Mt with an increasingly dangerous ride track.

I can't imagine what kind of concept that could be. The lightcycles are the most memorable elements of those movies, and I think doing anything else with TRON would be a stretch.
Doesn't have to be a lightcycle per se, could always be something like the light runner.
tron-legacy-light-runner-photo-378391-s-1280x782-photo-463485-s-original.jpg

I still can't buy the idea of a Tron coaster in the States. The Tron franchise doesn't seem to have too much of a future (minus rumors of a new movie?). Disney seems to build rides around franchises that promise more movies or more merch.

Doesn't have to be a lightcycle per se, could always be something like the light runner.
tron-legacy-light-runner-photo-378391-s-1280x782-photo-463485-s-original.jpg

I guess, but then you're probably either doing a simulator or another variation on Test Track (which itself already has vaguely TRONish trappings). Neither of which sound as exciting or inventive as Shanghai's coaster.

I don't see them putting an indoor coaster right next to another indoor coaster.

Techniqually, Tron Lightcycle Power Run is an Indoor/Partially Outdoor motobike coaster.

I think with all the differences of Tron and Space, they actually could do it and that it could engage in a revamp of Tomorrowland's exterior design, to be sleeker and more visually engaging in modern color's.

Whoa. I'd actually be okay with that, even though I don't think a slow-moving shooter is a great fit for TRON.

Would that imply that the dreaded Sugar Rush ride has taken the lead position to replace the Speedway?
I couldn't possibly tell you without guessing what is going on there. That area seems to be very fluid in terms of ideas floating around. As is the case with all of Tomorrowland.

I couldn't possibly tell you without guessing what is going on there. That area seems to be very fluid in terms of ideas floating around. As is the case with all of Tomorrowland.

I think there's very little concrete about Magic Kingdom's 50th plans at the moment. There have been rumblings about significant things coming to Frontierland and Adventureland, too, and I find it extraordinarily unlikely that all of it ends up happening.

I'm basically expecting one major new attraction in the park by October of 2021, along with a couple refurbishments, and that's about it.

I think there's very little concrete about Magic Kingdom's 50th plans at the moment. There have been rumblings about significant things coming to Frontierland and Adventureland, too, and I find it extraordinarily unlikely that all of it ends up happening.

I'm basically expecting one major new attraction in the park by October of 2021, along with a couple refurbishments, and that's about it.
Can't believe it's that hard for them to pull the trigger on overhauling MK so it can better handle the overcrowding. While it'd take 15-20 years for all of this, it'd be well worth the while. Especially if they work on the other three parks steadily.

One people-eating family dark ride, removal of Splash/Big Thunder bottleneck for Frontierland
Fire Mountain E-ticket, Tiki Room revamp and Jungle Cruise update for Adventureland
Drastic overhaul of PPF, Small World update, Philharmagic randomization and Wonderland mini-land for Fantasyland
Speedway replacement, people-eating E-ticket dark ride in pad behind Speedway/Space Mt, Buzz retheme, Stitch retheme, Laugh Floor retheme, PeopleMover update, CoP overhaul, total revamp of Space Mountain, new Tomorrowland Theater between Space Mt/CoP for Tomorrowland

Can't believe it's that hard for them to pull the trigger on overhauling MK so it can better handle the overcrowding. While it'd take 15-20 years for all of this, it'd be well worth the while. Especially if they work on the other three parks steadily.

One people-eating family dark ride, removal of Splash/Big Thunder bottleneck for Frontierland
Fire Mountain E-ticket, Tiki Room revamp and Jungle Cruise update for Adventureland
Drastic overhaul of PPF, Small World update, Philharmagic randomization and Wonderland mini-land for Fantasyland
Speedway replacement, people-eating E-ticket dark ride in pad behind Speedway/Space Mt, Buzz retheme, Stitch retheme, Laugh Floor retheme, PeopleMover update, CoP overhaul, total revamp of Space Mountain, new Tomorrowland Theater between Space Mt/CoP for Tomorrowland

I think they'd be better off spending that money in the other parks to draw people out of MK than to spend that kind of money at MK and draw more people to it.

Uh, excuse me?

Also guys it's best to aim low than to assume a Moana inverting coaster is coming...
It's been tossed around. Not saying it's happening.

And yeah, the way i've heard things going with MK's 50th, it's like WDI wants to do a crap ton and we'll end up getting a restroom because Disney's too cheap.

It's been tossed around. Not saying it's happening.

And yeah, the way i've heard things going with MK's 50th, it's like WDI wants to do a crap ton and we'll end up getting a restroom because Disney's too cheap.
But Disney does restrooms really well. It'll be a heck of a restroom. And they'll market it as well, along with a new bench or two. ;):)

The one thing I think I'd love to see more than anything for the resort as a whole would be to have zero construction for the celebration. No walls, no cranes, just everything up and running and operating as it should be.