Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW Resorts - Update & Rumor Thread

And yet again, WDWNT is called out directly by Disney for making false claims (Rumors).........
That's not the point though. What i'm more interested rather than WDWNT being wrong for the millionth time is Disney not really giving any sort of assurance on Hoop-Dee-Doo's future, even after coming out and giving a statement about a rumor involving it.

Just seems like sure WDWNT isn't right, but maybe Hoop-Dee-Doo's future is in Jeopardy. Especially given the close proximity to where Reflections was going to go, it's fishy. I have to assume a hotel will eventually occupy that space where Reflections was supposed to go and what I wonder is if the whole Pioneer Hall area may be in danger of being moved and demolished at some point for some other use.

Last edited:
That's not the point though. What i'm more interested rather than WDWNT being wrong for the millionth time is Disney not really giving any sort of assurance on Hoop-Dee-Doo's future, even after coming out and giving a statement about a rumor involving it.

Just seems like sure they aren't right, but maybe Hoop-Dee-Doo's future is in Jeopardy. Especially given the close proximity to where Reflections was going to go, it's fishy. I have to assume a hotel will eventually occupy that space and what I wonder is if the whole Pioneer Hall area may be in danger of being moved and demolished at some point for some other use.

I mean, it's a pricey show to put on -- 6 Equity CMs plus 2 union musicians plus even the servers got an "Entertainer" bonus. And if shrunken zombie heads in Grog Grotto were problematic, there's no way the 1950s humor revolving around Native American and sexist stereotypes in Hoop is gonna fly. The show was clearly going to get an overhaul coming out of the pandemic given everything else happening around the World.

As for WDWNT being wrong for the millionth time -- my personal distaste for its Editor in Chief aside (Orlando a small town), they get far, far more right than they get wrong. The one example critics cling to -- CBJ -- was confirmed to me by three different people as having been on the table. Just none of them particularly care for Tom and chose not to defend him. As you say, anything less than a resounding "Hoop will be back on this specific date" implies there's some fire beneath the smoke.

I mean, it's a pricey show to put on -- 6 Equity CMs plus 2 union musicians plus even the servers got an "Entertainer" bonus. And if shrunken zombie heads in Grog Grotto were problematic, there's no way the 1950s humor revolving around Native American and sexist stereotypes in Hoop is gonna fly. The show was clearly going to get an overhaul coming out of the pandemic given everything else happening around the World.
Yeah, I guess I haven't been to see the show in about 10 years tbh so I hadn't thought about the cultural things that Disney has been moving away from.

As for WDWNT being wrong for the millionth time -- my personal distaste for its Editor in Chief aside (Orlando a small town), they get far, far more right than they get wrong. The one example critics cling to -- CBJ -- was confirmed to me by three different people as having been on the table. Just none of them particularly care for Tom and chose not to defend him. As you say, anything less than a resounding "Hoop will be back on this specific date" implies there's some fire beneath the smoke.
I actually agree. They have a lot of scoops that they are right on which is why I don't give them as much flack as most, I just was making a joke for the most part.

When you’re dealing with creatives and rumors you gotta be honest, which is the problem with WDWNT. CBJ rumors were always probably true, the difference is where in the pipeline it was vs how it was reported. That’s what’s always bit them in the ass, from Moana at Tiki Room to the ToT “bar”.

Interesting little tidbit today-- a construction wall went up this morning along the new pathway between MK and Grand Floridian. It's off the path, along the wooded area where the rumored new hotel is supposed to be built. I don't think they're starting construction on that hotel (yet) but I'm guessing it's some sort of infrastructure for its future development. I think they'll wait until Floridian Way widening/realignment is finished and can handle the construction traffic before they start work on the hotel.
Meant to update this-- the fenced area is storage for shingles-- they're about to start re-roofing the Grand Flo buildings. They're also in the process of updating them with new furnishings

When you’re dealing with creatives and rumors you gotta be honest, which is the problem with WDWNT. CBJ rumors were always probably true, the difference is where in the pipeline it was vs how it was reported. That’s what’s always bit them in the ass, from Moana at Tiki Room to the ToT “bar”.
Now I may be massively over-estimating Tom's reasoning for putting some of these rumors out, but it always comes across on the higher profile ones where Disney is actually shooting back like those two and this one that it's almost a preventative strike that Tom is making. He knows these are in the early stages, but doesn't care because he doesn't want to see Moana in the Tiki Room, Toy Story in CBJ, a bar in ToT, and also doesn't want to see Hoop Dee Doo go away.

So by leaking early in the process, you create an uproar in the fanbase, causing Disney to actually have to say something on what very well may a project actually in the works. I think the hope is for the intense negative outcry basically ends up killing all these controversial projects that they report on.

Again, Tom probably isn't playing 3D chess and I just gave him/WDWNT way too much credit :lol:

Yeah, I've thought it was pretty self-evident that Corless runs with stuff in an attempt to drum up a negative reaction so Disney thinks twice about moving forward.

And I'm mostly fine with that (at least with the rumors in question, which have sounded various degrees of bad to me).

Last edited:
Now I may be massively over-estimating Tom's reasoning for putting some of these rumors out, but it always comes across on the higher profile ones where Disney is actually shooting back like those two and this one that it's almost a preventative strike that Tom is making. He knows these are in the early stages, but doesn't care because he doesn't want to see Moana in the Tiki Room, Toy Story in CBJ, a bar in ToT, and also doesn't want to see Hoop Dee Doo go away.

So by leaking early in the process, you create an uproar in the fanbase, causing Disney to actually have to say something on what very well may a project actually in the works. I think the hope is for the intense negative outcry basically ends up killing all these controversial projects that they report on.

Again, Tom probably isn't playing 3D chess and I just gave him/WDWNT way too much credit :lol:
While I’m not sure if Tom is entirely working towards the “leak things to get them cancelled” angle, people absolutely have in the past.

The big reason why WDW didn’t get a version of Mission: Breakout (when it was somewhat the impetus for the idea) was the combination of fan reaction to the leak and George Kalogridis.

That said I chuckled when Tom tried to pass off concept art of a Moana M&G in the current Tiki preshow area as proof that the show was to be replaced by Moana.

That said, it was a proposal, and it did get a not insignificant distance, but it definitely wasn’t approved, nor was it particularly close to being approved.

The big reason why WDW didn’t get a version of Mission: Breakout (when it was somewhat the impetus for the idea) was the combination of fan reaction to the leak and George Kalogridis.
While the capacity concerns are correct, of the very short time that the Tower of Terror in FL was on the table, Guardians was an option for zero of those seconds.

There is, however, a Marvel franchise where the central premise is going through things like the fifth dimension and is usable in Florida. But again, capacity concerns.

"I'm leaking things to get Disney to change course" really just sounds like an ego trip, especially given that having wrong information would lead to "positive" outcomes.

"I'm leaking things to get Disney to change course" really just sounds like an ego trip, especially given that having wrong information would lead to "positive" outcomes.
I'm all for leaking things to try and sway Disney's decision by having fans react negatively like with ToT/GotG as it saved us from losing. That ride will probably become something related to Doctor Strange when they're sick of paying CBS for Twilight Zone rights.

Disney obviously doesn't always listen to fan reaction and it's probably only a small thing taken into account if there's a leak. A lot of the time what happens is Imagineers leak things that they perceive to be bad projects.

While the capacity concerns are correct, of the very short time that the Tower of Terror in FL was on the table, Guardians was an option for zero of those seconds.

There is, however, a Marvel franchise where the central premise is going through things like the fifth dimension and is usable in Florida. But again, capacity concerns.

Isn’t Strange tied up with Uni though?

And none since!
I remember that M&G and Disney was daring enough to even use The Daily Bugle as a part of the street theming on the walls and such. It was always supposed to be a limited engagement M&G based on what we knew from casting information so I imagine they were testing the limits they could get away with and Universal threatened legal action.

So the Dr. Strange unadvertised M&G starts today. I'm sure we'll see pics of the M&G in action in just a few short hours, but here's some pics of the area where the Doctor will meet.

The really seem to be testing the limits here, not only by putting a Daily Bugle on display, but also referencing Daredevil at the top by "advertising" Nelson & Murdock, attorneys at law:

1nQIvzb.jpg

AwqhNYA.jpg

And none since!
Meet and greets around a movie release aren’t paid for by the parks and it doesn’t fit anywhere long term since so much is off limits.

Now though, I don’t know if it falls into some sort of “is he an Avenger” gray area. Surely he would have been an Avenger in comic form before showing up in the movies.