Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW Resorts - Update & Rumor Thread

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Because not every rumor materializes.

- So there was height test balloons on the former site planned to be the Venetian Resort. The land is in-between the TTC and Contemporary and has been “unsuitable” for many years now. Of course, Disney just bought a bunch of land so that they can turn unsuitable land into suitable land.

The land sits right along the monorail line, so any resort built here would presumably have a station. Martin replied to a post about the land being unsuitable and said that it “won’t stop them from trying”.

So that’s where it’s at as of now. If anything comes from this, who knows.

I know they've been doing something on that site for the past couple of weeks. My understanding is that it would NOT be on the Monorail line since the Resort Monorails are already at capacity. New watercraft have supposedly been ordered to serve the new hotel going where River Country was, and I would expect that just like Wilderness Lodge watercraft would be the primary transportation to MK for this new hotel as well. Its proximity to the TTC would mean that guests could choose to walk right over.

I've also heard the "walk around the world" may finally be getting a bridge across the canal so the walkway from Grand Floridian to MK might finally get connected.

- So there was height test balloons on the former site planned to be the Venetian Resort. The land is in-between the TTC and Contemporary and has been “unsuitable” for many years now. Of course, Disney just bought a bunch of land so that they can turn unsuitable land into suitable land.

The land sits right along the monorail line, so any resort built here would presumably have a station. Martin replied to a post about the land being unsuitable and said that it “won’t stop them from trying”.

I think the comment that 150' pilings must have gone down in price sums up the situation. If WDW feels they can turn a buck after the cost of building there they probably will. They have always been able to build there but the cost of making it stable enough to do so has been deemed to high. I think it remains to be seen if they will ever pull the trigger on that site

I think the comment that 150' pilings must have gone down in price sums up the situation. If WDW feels they can turn a buck after the cost of building there they probably will. They have always been able to build there but the cost of making it stable enough to do so has been deemed to high. I think it remains to be seen if they will ever pull the trigger on that site

MK Park View rooms will make $$$.

IF this is true (and they seem to try every 10-15 years) they wouldn't need to buy any reclamation land to do it. That provision is about untouched wilderness or letting it stay, not land that's maintained with a monorail on it.

I had heard that when they went to build there (just after GF opened) they did soil samples which indicated they would need to put in massive pilings to stabilize for any building. The quote I remember was "bigger pilings than were needed to support Spaceship Earth". It was determined to be cost prohibitive to build on the site at the time, but the price those MK view rooms go for would certainly justify it by now.

I know they've been doing something on that site for the past couple of weeks. My understanding is that it would NOT be on the Monorail line since the Resort Monorails are already at capacity.

Is it possible they could get newer and larger capacity monorails for the resort loop?

The Contemporary is the problem. It limits the height and width of the trains. Currently the only ones that will fit on the beams are the Innova 200s
Would it be a relatively easy fix (meaning not a massive undertaking) to make the openings bigger or are the beams themselves part of the problem along with the openings?

Would it be a relatively easy fix (meaning not a massive undertaking) to make the openings bigger or are the beams themselves part of the problem along with the openings?
It is not the openings but the floor of rooms above the beam. They are not going to nuke $600 a night rooms so we can have nicer trains. The physical size of the beams only fits the current fleet or the 200s. Any other would require rebuilding the entire track and that won't ever happen.

mono.jpg

Last edited:
IF this is true (and they seem to try every 10-15 years) they wouldn't need to buy any reclamation land to do it. That provision is about untouched wilderness or letting it stay, not land that's maintained with a monorail on it.
Yeah, I know, I had a brain fart. The land is cleared to be built on, just would need work to make the property stable enough to build on.