Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Why didn't the Amazing Spider-Man ride go to Hollywood?

Spider-Man has a story line you can follow. I still don't have a clue what is happening half the time in Transformers.

The problem with Transformer is that you're supposed to be soldiers but instead you just did nothing while you're on Evac, like he's doing most of the work. We couldn't have a gun or something to shoot the bad guys with, since we're supposed to be soldiers, not civilians. In Spider-Man, you're civilian tourists and visitors being sent to do Jonah's work, and that's perfectly expected the villains attack you since you don't have the superpowers as Spider-Man does. Plus, the story in TF is a bit of a mess as opposed to Spider-Man where it offers clue what really happens next.

It's such a great atrocity that the Spider-Man attraction never came to Universal Studios Hollywood. Could make a killing in the park especially Marvel movies whether from Disney, Fox, or Sony are very popular nowadays. :(

I think I explained this before. Transformers uses a lot of curved screens which makes movement forward feel more realistic. But it doesn't work well with the cars moving side-to side so they stop. Since most of the action in Transformers is racing along, it works well. Spiderman relies more of side-to-side movement, so the screens are flat until the free-fall finale, where they are really, really curved for the forward feeling.

I'm not sure if MCU is a determining factor, considering Marvel movies like Spider-Man and X-Men movies were already so profitable at the point.

The Spiderman Ride opened in 1999. The first big Spiderman movie didn't open till 2002. This is outside the two year shrinkage clause in the contract for them to expand into another park, so it wasn't a slam dunk to do so at the time.

Refer to my MIB post...

Post 9/11 did not offer the budget for USH to bring Spider-Man.

You should have seen the day when Spider-Man Rocks! opened to the park guests...everyone thought it was the ride from Orlando! Half of the crowd stormed out of the Castle Theater during the first show!!! It was hilarious to see Universal fail again...

Similar to Supercharged...they knew it sucked and did not offer any soft opening for Press.

Refer to my MIB post...

Post 9/11 did not offer the budget for USH to bring Spider-Man.

You should have seen the day when Spider-Man Rocks! opened to the park guests...everyone thought it was the ride from Orlando! Half of the crowd stormed out of the Castle Theater during the first show!!! It was hilarious to see Universal fail again...

Similar to Supercharged...they knew it sucked and did not offer any soft opening for Press.

I understand about the budget thingy after 9/11, but the awful Spider-Man show still doesn't explain as to why the Spider-Man ride never came to Universal Hollywood though. In retrospect, it's a mistake that Spider-Man ride wasn't brought to Hollywood, since Universal's French owner Vivendi wasn't particularly interested in theme parks. Spider-Man should have been put where the Transformers building is now. Not only that, the Mummy ride in Hollywood is very short compared to Orlando and clearly lacking in cohesive storylines as opposed to the previous replacement the E.T. attraction. Which is why it's rumored to be on a chopping block for SNW DK mine cart ride (if have any room whatsoever).

The main reason why SM didnt come is the size of its footprint. USH doesn't have the luxury of space. Its why Transformer is two-story so it has a smaller footprint

If I'm not mistaken, it may of been @Chris or @Jonathan that may of said this in a IU podcast episode prior, but that it was supposed to go and replace ET back in the early 00's...but things happened.

9/11 happened. I was an employee in the theme park when 9/11 took place and you should have seen a theme park with less than 2,000 projection! You could have fit every guest into 1 Waterworld show!

In those days, cuts were made...heavily. People lost their jobs, especially non union employees and managers. Waterworld shows were perhaps twice per day! It was ugly. Add to that the utility crisis and the staggered lower lot opening times...it was a mess 2001-2003. Now you can see why I left...

You can also now understand why Revenge of the Mummy and Shrek 4D were as cheap as they were...

9/11 happened. I was an employee in the theme park when 9/11 took place and you should have seen a theme park with less than 2,000 projection! You could have fit every guest into 1 Waterworld show!

In those days, cuts were made...heavily. People lost their jobs, especially non union employees and managers. Waterworld shows were perhaps twice per day! It was ugly. Add to that the utility crisis and the staggered lower lot opening times...it was a mess 2001-2003. Now you can see why I left...

You can also now understand why Revenge of the Mummy and Shrek 4D were as cheap as they were...

Yeah, somehow, they managed to port the ride to Japan four years later in 2004 and three years after 9/11, but not Hollywood. I really still want to see the link/sources of why Hollywood didn't have one since we at least see the version why ET Adventure is still at Florida due to Steven Spielberg.

The problem with Transformer is that you're supposed to be soldiers but instead you just did nothing while you're on Evac, like he's doing most of the work. We couldn't have a gun or something to shoot the bad guys with, since we're supposed to be soldiers, not civilians. In Spider-Man, you're civilian tourists and visitors being sent to do Jonah's work, and that's perfectly expected the villains attack you since you don't have the superpowers as Spider-Man does. Plus, the story in TF is a bit of a mess as opposed to Spider-Man where it offers clue what really happens next.

It's such a great atrocity that the Spider-Man attraction never came to Universal Studios Hollywood. Could make a killing in the park especially Marvel movies whether from Disney, Fox, or Sony are very popular nowadays. :(
One day, when the Transformers brand has been reinvented in the public eye, I'd like to see a new take on the ride; either base it on the cartoon, since everyone likes that, or once there's more than one movie like Bumblebee, try something in that world. In any case, we gotta be civilians.

Also, says here that although we're soldiers, we never finished our training because of the Decepticon attack.