Why wasn't IOA designed with expansion in mind? | Inside Universal Forums

Why wasn't IOA designed with expansion in mind?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 27, 2010
South Carolina
Lately, we have seen Universal design and build several parks and one of the key elements we see in common with them are expansion pads. However, it seems that IOA was designed without them. What could be the reason behind this? Did they feel the park was already a complete park and it was no need to revisit it? Was it design to replace and not expand? Anyone have any idea?

It’s probably equal to Epic Universe in terms of expansion pads. There’s still a few that haven’t been developed yet if I remember correctly.

I believe the 2 biggest expansion pads were in JP where Kong and FJ currently sit. The circle design of the park made it harder to incorporate large expansion pads like they're doing at Epic which has a better layout for expansions.

Reactions: Nico
I believe the 2 biggest expansion pads were in JP where Kong and FJ currently sit. The circle design of the park made it harder to incorporate large expansion pads like they're doing at Epic which has a better layout for expansions.
Ah yes, I do believe you are correct which makes me think they figured 3-4 more rides would have been enough.

Reactions: JonsMovies
I think there's space in Marvel, Seuss, and I guess they always figured they could replace the theaters.
They could easily tear down Carnage Warehouse for a new attraction.

And then there's Seuss, where a Lorax ride idea was put to snooze (it would've been in the little pad behind the Cat in the Hat).

Forbidden Journey, Kong were build on expansion Pads. There's also the area left of Cat in the Hat. Toon Extra store in Toon Lagoon itself has some space behind it in Toon Logoon (I think it may have originally where the Flash Gordan ride would have gone) , along with the toon lagoon ampitheater itself, combined is a large plot. Maximum Carnage warehouse area in Marvel, although there's a lot of backstage stuff there now. Other areas of the logoon front (PoE) could be repurposed ala Velocicoaster too.

Also Storm Force Accelatron and Flight of the Unicorn were added post opening. I am not going to count The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride as expansion since it was supposed to be there at opening from my recollection, but they could not get it to work.

Islands of Adventure was designed with expansion in mind, which is how we got Kong, Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express, The Flying Unicorn (now Hippogriff), and Storm Force. Seuss Landing still has a largely unused expansion pad that they have looked at for several potential additions. The backside of Marvel could easily see an addition with the removal of Fearfall or Storm, and the vacant theaters are also prime real estate for redevelopment.

Ok I think I need to explain "expansion". I am not talking about a half acre to an acre of land for an additional ride or so, I mean expansions as in new lands, areas in the park for exploring. I am not talking about rearranging or removing things. I mean acres sat aside for new areas. The general layout of the park has not changed due to the additions they have received over the years. I know I have read that jurassic left some plots undone which are now occupied but I mean expansion plots for things they may not know is coming, but here is the room for a different island in the future.

My guesses would be that:

1. Given the circular layout of IOA, adding a "new island" would be difficult/disruptive to guest traffic flow.

2. There's enough "stuff" for guests to do already. A lot of guests are perfectly content doing 7 or so attractions in a day. Anything above that has diminishing returns relative to guest satisfaction for the day.

Reactions: Clive
Ok I think I need to explain "expansion". I am not talking about a half acre to an acre of land for an additional ride or so, I mean expansions as in new lands, areas in the park for exploring. I am not talking about rearranging or removing things. I mean acres sat aside for new areas. The general layout of the park has not changed due to the additions they have received over the years. I know I have read that jurassic left some plots undone which are now occupied but I mean expansion plots for things they may not know is coming, but here is the room for a different island in the future.

Not many parks actually have the space. I think if they could redo it Disney would make WS smaller and remove many of the expansion pads that still ren't used to this day.

I assume in the Pre-Potter days, the idea was to expand on the lands that already existed rather than include space for additional lands in the future

Now with the emphasis on "new lands" those spaces are considered when opening a new park

Also important to note that IOA didn't have a whole lot of land in the first place

I think we forget just how large EU is, so a 10 acre expansion pad isn't felt in the the same way it would be at an IOA or USF

Also, many of the expansion pads have been utilized at IOA

They could easily tear down Carnage Warehouse for a new attraction.

In theory, yes. But I recall reading that warehouse is packed to the gills with a ton of storage, they wouldn't be tearing that down unless they had a suitable place to move everything, so it wouldn't be an easy solution. They'd have plenty of space just utilizing the plots of Doom and Storm together while keeping backstage buildings as is.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
In theory, yes. But I recall reading that warehouse is packed to the gills with a ton of storage, they wouldn't be tearing that down unless they had a suitable place to move everything, so it wouldn't be an easy solution. They'd have plenty of space just utilizing the plots of Doom and Storm together while keeping backstage buildings as is.
I wonder if they might have a warehouse or two in the area coming online in the next couple of years?

Reactions: shiekra38
Given Universal's location (surrounded by neighborhoods, bordered by an interstate, etc.), they didn't have room to really have multiple acre expansion pads. They wanted to build hotels and that land came at a premium. Plus, I think that the majority of theme parks are set up where expansion is more singular by design. DHS had to remove Lights/Camera/Action and do some other moves to make room for Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land. Magic Kingdom had to repurpose land from 20K Leagues and the route back to Little Mermaid feels like a weird expansion. So, I think IoA was built with the purpose of having room to add rides, not lands, without sacrificing the land for the hotels and necessary backstage buildings.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Not many parks actually have the space. I think if they could redo it Disney would make WS smaller and remove many of the expansion pads that still ren't used to this day.
I recall reading in the past that Epcot received a bit of initial customer complaints when they opened because it was too big, and was hard to tour due to it's extreme size.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX