Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wicker Man/SW8 (Alton Towers)

Jesus I hope this involves Nicholas Cage somehow.
wickerman3.png

Wait, LIKE THE MOVIE!?!?

While it's looks to be more of a original take, it's probably more akin to the 1973 original with Christopher Lee.
The Wicker Man - Wikipedia

-----

As for the coaster, it'll probably be fun and all, but I think the "Worlds First" is the World's First claim of a World's First that's not even a World's First. Considering both Terminator: Salvation/Apocalypse at Magic Mountain and Wodan at Europa Park both say hi when it comes to fire effects being used on a wooden coaster.

As for the coaster, it'll probably be fun and all, but I think the "Worlds First" is the World's First claim of a World's First that's not even a World's First. Considering both Terminator: Salvation/Apocalypse at Magic Mountain and Wodan at Europa Park both say hi when it comes to fire effects being used on a wooden coaster.

Hypothetical, what if they try to replicate a fire effect that engulfs the entire Wicker Man structure, only without using actual fire?

Now I may not know if that's possible, but that actually could make sense IMO on what they could be desiring to accomplish for Wicker Man.

Hypothetical, what if they try to replicate a fire effect that engulfs the entire Wicker Man structure, only without using actual fire?

Now I may not know if that's possible, but that actually could make sense IMO on what they could be desiring to accomplish for Wicker Man.

They're not replicating fire, they're using actual fire for this. Take a look at the picture below at the lower right.

Notice the 6 fenced off gas tanks? Those weren't normally there before, so they're using real fire for the Wicker Man. I also recall reading (either on Towers Times or Towers Street) someone who saw blueprints which showed the several points where the fire will be emitting off the Wicker Man. (Mostly off it's shoulders)

I hope this is a solid GCI with the effort put into the theming. I hope they keep the effects going full bore over time and not cut back. I've seen so many rides that opened with fog effects to lose it later on.

I hope this is a solid GCI with the effort put into the theming. I hope they keep the effects going full bore over time and not cut back. I've seen so many rides that opened with fog effects to lose it later on.
The fog (in the large extent shown here) is just for shooting promotional material and will not be present on opening day :p

Here's the lead car!

2r77k1y.jpg

The levels of theming on this ride are superb, even the on ride photo camera had been themed!

It's great to see another large coaster at AT, it'll be a good ride with a wide audience. Hopefully there will be some decent airtime in parts as well.

Alton Towers is an amazing park, and I hope to visit someday

This ride is making me jealous haha
It is an amazing park, that has had some questionable operational decisions made by Merlin, but nevertheless the coaster lineup is one of the best in Europe.

On another note.....

My friend was there this morning and it seemed it was cooler to look at than to ride.
I would disagree with that, it's actually a very solid GCI and is an extremely fun coaster. The second drop in particular is a highlight. As with most GCIs, riding it in the afternoon once it has warmed up makes for a faster ride. Of course though, what makes this ride stand out is the incredible theming both on the exterior and interior.

In terms of the issues yesterday, the tech services guys were having an absolute nightmare. The trains were overshooting the brakes and frequently stopping in the incorrect position in the station. As a result, they decided to not load several rows of the train in order to decrease the weight. This helped the brake issue but didn't do much for the station issue. GCI normally create very reliable coasters but they seem to have messed up a bit on this one.

The ride is 2 hours late opening already this morning.

The weather is good, I have a day off work and all the kiddywinks are back in school so today I am going to check out Wicker Man and the park in general

It's been two years or more since I've been to Alton Towers so it will be interesting to see how the park is doing.

I picked up a season pass for £55 (a little under $80) I am also surprised with the parks really short opening hours, 10 - 4 with some key rides not opening until 11. The effects of the Smiler accident must still be biting pretty hard.

At least the park should be quiet so I can get a few rides in and enjoy the park and it's "ambience :lol:" with little to no crowds.

More to follow................................

So not long back from the park.

Steady 30 min drive and I was at the park, having to line up for my season pass but me behind the crowds so by the time I git through the gates Wicker Man was running a 70 min wait.

Not an issue as everything else (that was open) was 20mins at the most. So I hit up Smiler, I covered construction of this ride obsessively. Seeing it built from ground up gave me a kind of special connection, it was like seeing an old friend that hadn't aged very well and I couldn't help but remember that fateful day whilst in the queue and again as I rode over the batwing element.

Smiler rides well apart from a couple of rough spots which existed since day one, it was nice catching up with my old buddy but it was a shame seeing her covered in moss, rust and graffiti all she needs a little love and care!

By this time it was 11am and the rest of the parks rides were now open, I hit up Oblivion and Rita in next to no time, whilst Nemesis was pretty much a walk on too. After all these years Nemesis is still one of the worlds great coasters. I didn't bother with galactic as it was at a 70 min wait, meh.

Since the rest of the park had opened Wicker mans line had dropped to 30 mins, now was the time. Unlike Smiler I didn't know too much about the ride, not exactly spoiler free but I hadnt gone out of my way to research it.

The queue is long with a lot of switch backs, you do get some good views of the coaster from the line but the rest of it just plain wood fence which still had builders merchant markings on it. Luckily the line was short today but on a busier day this line will seem like forever.

Once you get nearer the station you can hear the clank of the lift chain coupled with the hypnotic theme music your excitement level for your upcoming ride begins to build. You enter a wooden show room that is adorned with wicker work and other theming elements, the lights flicker and the typical AT towers (been lying dormant for 100s of years etc etc) Pre show video kicks in on a fluttering sheet, lights and a kick ass bass system complete the pre show before the lights go out and.............No spoilers here :grin:

Pre show over and the automatic doors open up to lead you into a well themed station, the trains seat 22 and I was sat in row 4. shoulder restraints checked, checked and checked again and we were off, as soon as the train comes out of the station and round the first downward bend you know its going to be s decent ride, it picks up pace in no time at all and before I had hit the lift hill I had a big grin on my face. The traditional clank of the chain going up the hill the smell of new wood builds the anticipation as you come over the precipice and gravity takes control. The ride is fast and throws you around a little. It is smooth but like any good coaster you have to ride the track to get the most out of it.

Decent speed and some great banks turns had me grinning all the way round. Two passes through rides Wicker Man Icon and some decent show elements also add to the overall ride.

This is the woodie that AT have threatened for many years, it isn't the cross valley woodie I had always hoped for but it is a great woodie none the less. It offers enough thrill for the older guests whilst not being too fierce for the smaller riders. It has decent theming and gives a ride that is pure fun. A winner for me and I am already looking forward to a return trip to ride again