Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Will a Cedar Fair park come to New Braunfels?

Nov 16, 2019
Just curious schlitterbahn was purchased by cedar fair this past summer and I was wondering could their possibly be a new cedar fair ground up park that could be built in Texas perhaps Austin since cedar fair doesn’t have a dry park in Texas it is the second largest state in the country and it only has six flags and one seaworld park a little strange.

Just curious schlitterbahn was purchased by cedar fair this past summer and I was wondering could their possibly be a new cedar fair ground up park that could be built in Texas perhaps Austin since cedar fair doesn’t have a dry park in Texas it is the second largest state in the country and it only has six flags and one seaworld park a little strange.
The issue with Texas is that it is painfully spread out. The three parks (SFOT, SFFT, and SWSA) are in the only two areas of Texas that are close to two large metropolitan areas (San Ant/Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth). Austin’s market is already covered by the SA market to be honest.

So you bring up New Braunfels, but then shift it to Austin? Pardon me for saying this..but that sounds extremely contradictory.

If Cedar Fair would go to Texas for a dry park, they would likely acquire a pre-existing park moreso than that of constructing a new park from scratch (especially in this environment, it'd be pretty moronic to when there are cheaper ways to get more parks). Also, I would suspect that they'd rather want to spend the money on their pre-existing parks (along with the New Braunfels/Galveston Schlitterbahn locations).

And to point a similar boat as how @Magic Feather says, Austin is within the middle of San Antonio and Dallas/Ft. Worth. It'd be kind-of pointless, especially as it's a 1-3 hour drive from Austin to either one (Dallas for the latter).

I would watch the Grand Texas project. I don’t know if Cedar Fair is interested in it, but I feel getting into the Houston market is something several companies are interested in.

With so much competition already in the market (SeaWorld and Six Flags) it's doubtful. Also, Cedar Fair seems to be in the market to acquire parks, not build them. Outside of Orlando and maybe LA, I doubt we'll see a real theme park of any size built in the foreseeable future.

Cedar Fair hasn't built a new park since.... 1870. So I say no.

Agreed. I think that Cedar Fair focuses on market retention and not so much market penetration. I see them continuing to invest in their existing parks and not shelling out the cash it would take to build a new park. They haven't invested much into Michigan's Adventure at this point, although that could be due to a perceived lack of ROI.

Do you think they could at least build on the new braunfels location because I understand the property has a hotel, a golf course, the waterpark is basically split into 2. So if they own all of that it will be interesting as to what they will do with the location. I’ll cross out building a park from scratch but most likely acquire more property in a currently purchased waterpark.

Do you think they could at least build on the new braunfels location because I understand the property has a hotel, a golf course, the waterpark is basically split into 2. So if they own all of that it will be interesting as to what they will do with the location. I’ll cross out building a park from scratch but most likely acquire more property in a currently purchased waterpark.

Depends on what land they already own. And to be frank, it shouldn't be expected that the New Braunfels Schlitterbahn location(s) will be expanded in footprint, but rather given the chance to be rebranded and enhanced from those on-board at Cedar Fair.

Could it be possible? Sure, but they aren't going to expand money on land to just "connect" the two portions. It's nearly impossible, considering you have housing on one side, a golf course on the other side (that they don't own if I'm not mistaken), and land not owned by them in-between.