Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 177 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trees look great. Awesome night pics, Dark Lord. But yeah, I'm not buying early closure for Potter work. Makes zero sense.

I'm not buying this the park is closing early to work on the project bit. The parks have been rented out on several of these nights for private events. UCF is March 30th and was able to buy out both parks until 1AM. Their are several other events like Grad Bash with some even private during this time frame as well causing the parks to close earlier than expected. However the areas of concern for Diagon are away from guest zones and don't require the closing of guest walkways during normal business hours. Most of the oh my god panic mode stuff is within the land I bet or even at IOA in the courtyard entry. In addition if there were issues with the London area and its a major time crunch why haven't I seen a single person working on it the last 3 times I was there? Seems like all the workers have been pulled "elsewhere" on the project.
I trust your judgement. You make good points. But, as a side note it seems odd to cut the hours for so many consecutive days when there aren't private parties every day & shut down the lagoon show for so long. They don't do that during even the slowest weeks of the year.But, heh, I'm not an insider. I'm just going by what some of the other sites are saying and the strange long early closure.

This picture shows exactly how they will be able to erase the show building from the horizon. Look at the height of the trees and then scan right to the show building. (I know that there aren't trees there now, but I expect there will be)

13479441233_a066518d17_b.jpg

Altogether, it sounds like a live performance of the Battle of the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic. I vaguely remember someone saying something about a possible Ministry of Magic show at some point in the future. Perhaps they're thinking of converting MIB or another property into the Ministry of Magic headquarters, with (perceived) underground access and a live show featuring scenes from Order of the Phoenix? The MoM headquarters are located in London, so MIB (or Disaster or Fear Factor) would seem to be an appropriate place to put it.

My interpretation of Teebin's riddle may have been an epic fail as far as he's concerned, but this week's reports/rumor round-ups suggest I wasn't so far off after all:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201403/3940/

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/rumor-round-up-march-28-universal-orlando/

My interpretation of Teebin's riddle may have been an epic fail as far as he's concerned, but this week's reports/rumor round-ups suggest I wasn't so far off after all:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201403/3940/

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/rumor-round-up-march-28-universal-orlando/

I don't think anybody said your ideas were out of the question; it was just that Teebin's riddle was specifically in regards to the show within Diagon.

I know that many on this site and others have been discussing for a long time that turning Fear Factor Live into the Ministry of Magic seems like an obvious next step. It's almost too perfect to not do it, lol. But it is great to hear that UC has been seen looking the area over and taking pictures.

Someone with a better grasp on how much land would be available there can chime in on whether there would be room for an actual guest area, but even if it just became a great ride with an elaborate facade, I think it would be good.

As it is, especially with Universal seeming to bill the HE as a separate entity on its own, Diagon/London will only have one ride, while Hogsmeade has three.

Last edited:
Diagon Alley has 3 attractions: Gringott's, Ollivander's, and the new Show. The Hogwarts Express is not in Diagon Alley. Potter 2.0 has 2 E Tickets (Gringott's and HE.

Diagon Alley has 3 attractions: Gringott's, Ollivander's, and the new Show. The Hogwarts Express is not in Diagon Alley. Potter 2.0 has 2 E Tickets (Gringott's and HE.

Well first off, to anyone who makes their first visit to the WWOHP after Diagon opens and the newness wears off, all of this "Phase 1," "Phase 2," "2.0" stuff will be irrelevant; it will be two lands connected by the HE.

And I wasn't implying that UOR wasn't doing enough with Phase 2. My point was that when all is said and done, some people might say that the experience is a bit lopsided.

You can imagine someone coming for their first visit and starting in IOA. They do Hogsmeade, a land that has 3 rides (actually 4 if you count both dragons) and an awesome attraction, Ollivander's. Then they take the HE over to London where they enter Diagon Alley, a land that has 1 ride and the same awesome attraction that they already did in Hogsmeade. As for the new show, maybe I'm underestimating the level to which it will be an actual "attraction."

I'm being forced to be a devil's advocate here :lol:. I don't want it to seem like I'm ragging on the expansion AT ALL. I'm extremely excited for it and think it will be an incredible thing to behold. I'm just pointing out that this unevenness is a criticism we might expect to see from some people.

Well first off, to anyone who makes their first visit to the WWOHP after Diagon opens and the newness wears off, all of this "Phase 1," "Phase 2," "2.0" stuff will be irrelevant; it will be two lands connected by the HE.

And I wasn't implying that UOR wasn't doing enough with Phase 2. My point was that when all is said and done, some people might say that the experience is a bit lopsided.

You can imagine someone coming for their first visit and starting in IOA. They do Hogsmeade, a land that has 3 rides (actually 4 if you count both dragons) and an awesome attraction, Ollivander's. Then they take the HE over to London where they enter Diagon Alley, a land that has 1 ride and the same awesome attraction that they already did in Hogsmeade. As for the new show, maybe I'm underestimating the level to which it will be an actual "attraction."

I'm being forced to be a devil's advocate here :lol:. I don't want it to seem like I'm ragging on the expansion AT ALL. I'm extremely excited for it and think it will be an incredible thing to behold. I'm just pointing out that this unevenness is a criticism we might expect to see from some people.

As someone who hasn't visited the WW yet then I will be incredibly excited and overwhelmed by the whole experience when I do. And that to me is the attraction. The rides are a bonus. I'm a massive ride fan but they aren't what makes it attractive to me. The land and being in the presence of the the environment that was brought to life on screen will be enough for me. I don't think people will be disappointed that there are 3 rides in Hogsmeade (2 of which are old rides re-named) and one in Diagon.

That said, should the Ministry of Magic happen then I always had in my mind something like Gringotts has been described. The interiors and architecture of MoM is amazing. Not sure is would be dubbed as part of Diagon Alley though given its location in the film. I guess the London facade will just extend to a building in Whitehall if it was.

Andrew

As someone who hasn't visited the WW yet then I will be incredibly excited and overwhelmed by the whole experience when I do. And that to me is the attraction. The rides are a bonus. I'm a massive ride fan but they aren't what makes it attractive to me. The land and being in the presence of the the environment that was brought to life on screen will be enough for me. I don't think people will be disappointed that there are 3 rides in Hogsmeade (2 of which are old rides re-named) and one in Diagon.

That said, should the Ministry of Magic happen then I always had in my mind something like Gringotts has been described. The interiors and architecture of MoM is amazing. Not sure is would be dubbed as part of Diagon Alley though given its location in the film. I guess the London facade will just extend to a building in Whitehall if it was.

Andrew

when my wife and I went last year we did wwohp and Uni for 3 days. one day I spent an entire afternoon just sitting in Hogsmeade sipping butterbeer and relaxing. I'm not much for thrill rides but I was more than happy to just hang out. its a potterhead's dream come true. i expect Diagon will be even better.

They do Hogsmeade, a land that has 3 rides (actually 4 if you count both dragons) and an awesome attraction, Ollivander's. Then they take the HE over to London where they enter Diagon Alley, a land that has 1 ride and the same awesome attraction that they already did in Hogsmeade. As for the new show, maybe I'm underestimating the level to which it will be an actual "attraction."

True, though the only reason Hogsmeade has more is because they just re-themed two attractions, so both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley just have one purpose build attraction.
I think that a lot of people also just enjoy hanging out in the Potter area, so I guess that offering a whole experience is more important than offering rides.
In any case, it will be interesting to see as to just how good the Gringotts coaster is ...

If they do a ministry of magic, what kind of ride do you think we can expect? THe only thing I can come up with is a Tower of Terror type ride themed to the elevators. Other than that, what is there that really lends itself to a ride?

when my wife and I went last year we did wwohp and Uni for 3 days. one day I spent an entire afternoon just sitting in Hogsmeade sipping butterbeer and relaxing. [...] its a potterhead's dream come true. i expect Diagon will be even better.

True, though the only reason Hogsmeade has more is because they just re-themed two attractions, so both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley just have one purpose build attraction.
I think that a lot of people also just enjoy hanging out in the Potter area, so I guess that offering a whole experience is more important than offering rides.
In any case, it will be interesting to see as to just how good the Gringotts coaster is ...

I totally agree with all of this. As a slightly obsessive fan of HP and of immersive experiences in general, it's the sights and sounds and smells that are the attraction for me. I'm as excited for the themed shops and restaurants as much as anything.

Like I said, I was playing devil's advocate. (And I'm about to do it a little bit more.) I would say for a lot of guests (especially first-timers), it doesn't matter that a ride has been re-purposed or what it USED TO be, if they're even aware of the fact. I've talked to people who didn't know those used to be different rides.

I can see some people, without the context of what it replaced and without an appreciation for incredible theming, complaining. But I guess then this project wasn't intended for them :smiley:. So I'll stop advocating and rest assured that I and those like me will be very, very pleased when this beautiful thing finally opens.

Last edited:
It would be cool to see them do like a shooter ride in the ministry of magic with wands. Your group would have to work together to tackle bigger baddies that need more than one spell to take down. You could use different spells other than just attack or disarming spells. For instance, blowing up a wall to escape, etc. and if you don't react soon enough, you just keep going, and are given other options to get the job done. This would allow repeat riding and something fresh every time.

It would be cool to see them do like a shooter ride in the ministry of magic with wands. Your group would have to work together to tackle bigger baddies that need more than one spell to take down. You could use different spells other than just attack or disarming spells. For instance, blowing up a wall to escape, etc. and if you don't react soon enough, you just keep going, and are given other options to get the job done. This would allow repeat riding and something fresh every time.

If that were to happen, I'd almost think it makes more sense to retheme MIB to that than it would to be to make a virtually identical ride next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.