Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 187 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only just now noticed another difference between real Wyndham and Universal's. In the original the facade matches the rest of the building, with ornate carvings. In the theme park version, they decided to go with a simpler, sturdy Doric style. It still suits the building well enough, but I'd love to ask the designers why they went this route.

Teebin: I'd guess they chose the 'Franklin' style lamps mainly for scale? Makes the buildings seem a bit more impressive in height. Also, they look ever so cute :)

Excited to see trees popping up at Hogsmeade. Really gives us a sense of how different that area is going to feel. Can't wait for the rest of the forest to materialize.

Thanks for the pics, TheLastAshen! :thumbs: Your height rocks lol :cheers:

In the art it was on the opposite side, but I don't know what else those utility things would be for.

I looked a wee bit further, and in this latest capture from the UOR website shows that this is indeed where the bus will be located. I agree however that we have seen it various locations in a few past concepts.

knightbus_zps9a71d156.png

Indeed, different concept art pieces had the Knight Bus in different places, but I believe the actual location is to the left of the fountain, if we're looking at it from the waterfront.

In the theme park version, they decided to go with a simpler, sturdy Doric style.

Um... I am sorry, but I don't see anything Doric about either design. Can you point out what you are perceiving as Doric?

ON another note... it has been argued to me that I use an incorrect term in describing the square pads that are used as examples for everything from brickwork to the tilework for Leicester. I called them templates but I was told that they are mockups. I would argue that a mockup doesn't necessarily set rules but a template does. So, with that said, I will do my best to refer to these in the future as "mockup templates". :wave: (with a sneer)

ON another note... it has been argued to me that I use an incorrect term in describing the square pads that are used as examples for everything from brickwork to the tilework for Leicester. I called them templates but I was told that they are mockups. I would argue that a mockup doesn't necessarily set rules but a template does. So, with that said, I will do my best to refer to these in the future as "mockup templates". :wave: (with a sneer)

When I think of a template, I think of a mold or something plain/blank upon which you work on/onto. I have to agree that mock-up (or sample, really) feels like a better term for those.

You turncoat... :mean:

Well, if it makes you feel better, I wouldn't say template or mock-up. I'd say sample, so I'm not particularly siding with either of you :lol:

Anyways, BriMan just posted it on Twitter, but since this is the place with the most traffic, and a big reason being the picture updates, I thought I'd mention it here as well. OU is looking for a new correspondent, so if anyone here goes to the parks regularly and enjoys taking pictures, contact Brian@OrlandoUnited.com :thumbs:

Well, it is an amalgam of various parts of London, real (Wyndham's, Leicester Square, King's Cross) and fictional (Grimmauld Place). And let's not forget that the HP books take place in the 90's. Perhaps the lamps have changed since then?

More importantly, in real life, Grimmauld Place is Claremont Square in Islington, and it does feature lamps like the ones they're using, as seen in the movie as well as in the photo below:

Claremont_square,_Islington_(3)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1523974.jpg

(Here's a larger closeup of a street lamp in Claremont Square: http://0.tqn.com/d/golondon/1/0/D/F/0/-/Claremont-Square.jpg)

What I'm wondering is why they're not using the South Bank Embankment lamps below. Or are they?

adsc01796c.jpg

Just so you know Grimmauld Place wasn't filmed in Claremont Square it only draws inspiration from their. It was filmed on the backlot.

I'm a bit disappointed they haven't used the gold lamps that appear on some of the red tiled underground stations (Russell Square).

The lamps on the waterfront however some concepts show simple ones and another shows the authentic ones.

Andrew

Um... I am sorry, but I don't see anything Doric about either design. Can you point out what you are perceiving as Doric?

I am likely using the wrong terminology. Let me explain my thinking.

I remembered learning about the use of different facade layers in structures when reading about The Medici Palazzo. I thought the terms doric, ionic, and corinthian could also be applied to the paired stonework as well as referring to the style of pillars or pilasters. But looking at the photo of the Medici Palazzo, I realize that the style used in Univeral's Wyndham is not rough hewn like the doric layer. It looks more ionic.
ioniclayers_zps027cf7c9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I thought the terms doric, ionic, and corinthian could also be applied to the paired stonework as well as referring to the style of pillars or pilasters.

Hmmm... it's the first time I had ever heard of a tri-description such as this. Perhaps it was a generalized observation on the part of the writer.

BUT, I did find you a reasonable argument for doric. The smooth round columns are more typical of the doric style. The column caps are ionic and therefore the columns should be fluted. In Uni's design, even the flat columns on both sides are flat and unadorned. The true Wyndham uses 1/3 flutes.

I always used to marvel at this massive ionic piece at the MET almost every time I visited:

DP144130.jpg

A company like ModelWerks probably built it. If it was them, they've made quite a few things around Universal so they probably have a warehouse somewhere in town.

More importantly, in real life, Grimmauld Place is Claremont Square in Islington, and it does feature lamps like the ones they're using, as seen in the movie as well as in the photo below:

Claremont_square,_Islington_(3)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1523974.jpg

Just so you know Grimmauld Place wasn't filmed in Claremont Square it only draws inspiration from their. It was filmed on the backlot.

Point taken. But my point was that that particular lamp is used both in Claremont Square in London and in Grimmauld Place, in the films. I'm pretty sure at some point some artist or designer visited Claremont Square and studied those lamps in particular. Given the amount of detail and authenticity both in the films and the Wizarding World, I doubt they just found some random street light somewhere and went, "OOh...pretty! Let's use it!" Assuming they are using the Claremont lamp in front of Grimmauld Place (which some of the recent photos may show, but I haven't noticed yet), I would imagine they would use the same lamp for the rest of the London waterfront to tie the area together thematically and, yes, to give the area a more traditional appearance.

So, these were built off site somewhere, yes? And just dropped into place? So this *somewhere* possibly has lots of other things built and ready to be dropped into place, yes?

I don't suppose anyone knows where that is...

A company like ModelWerks probably built it. If it was them, they've made quite a few things around Universal so they probably have a warehouse somewhere in town.

Maybe Nassal? :shrug:

Sounds good to me! They may also have been the ones building the massive bank desks that we saw in shop a time back. It wasn't Nassal in that particular case although Nassal may have been the lead contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.