Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 192 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told that almost all the team member costumes for Diagon Alley are now in and there's a wardrobe training class next week. :happy:

I also got a couple costume descriptions. Madame Malkin's staff will be wearing a LOT of purple, including robes and some petty elaborate hats, while Florean Fortescue's staff will be wearing aprons with pink and green costumes.

Reactions: Skubersky
Thanks everyone for the pics and heads-ups on pics! Particularly special thanks to AllAroundOrlando for posting those awesome shots!

BTW, has anyone noticed how they have toned down the white (or pretty much painted brown) those roof dividers on Grimmauld?
I think I liked it better now. It just looked birdpoopy before... :p

Before:

DA023_zps680bac4d.jpg

So glad they painted it over. It was definitely odd looking before.

I've been told that almost all the team member costumes for Diagon Alley are now in and there's a wardrobe training class next week. :happy:

I also got a couple costume descriptions. Madame Malkin's staff will be wearing a LOT of purple, including robes and some petty elaborate hats, while Florean Fortescue's staff will be wearing aprons with pink and green costumes.

That's exciting to hear! We're so close now! Where has the time gone? I can't believe that in mere WEEKS we'll be in Diagon Alley!

:died:

Is there a thread that talks about wether they are going overboard with the potter expansions?

I was talking to a friend about what they were doing at Universal with potter. She liked the idea but said its too much potter. She's not really into it so I see why she feels that way. I'm excited about this whole expansion, however, I feel like once D.A is done, so should the potter expansions. If there is thread on this, lmk

I don't think it's a minority. Sure potter fans and others will enjoy it but it's not a Harry potter theme park. People will expect to experience other things.

Is there a thread that talks about wether they are going overboard with the potter expansions?
I was talking to a friend about what they were doing at Universal with potter. She liked the idea but said its too much potter. She's not really into it so I see why she feels that way. I'm excited about this whole expansion, however, I feel like once D.A is done, so should the potter expansions. If there is thread on this, lmk

I don't know why people are always saying that Universal is turning into a Harry Potter theme park. There are 14 different lands in USF and IOA (15 if you count Springfield) and only 2 of which are Potter. And even then Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade Village are nothing alike. :shrug:

And let's not forget, Potter pays the bills and allows for things like King Kong to be built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenstar and Felipe
I don't know why people are always saying that Universal is turning into a Harry Potter theme park. There are 14 different lands in USF and IOA (15 if you count Springfield) and only 2 of which are Potter. And even then Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade Village are nothing alike. :shrug:

And let's not forget, Potter pays the bills and allows for things like King Kong to be built.

Exactly!

Aside from the Great Hall and Ministry of Magic, I highly doubt we'll see much more Potter.

Kong is coming back, E.T. Is up for an upgrade rather than replacement, LC & TL are getting revamped, Seuss is eventually going to get an E ticket, KidZone and World Expo won't be Potter related. Not to mention the JP expansion, and the water park.

Potter will be a small piece of their success come 2020

Because they're the same naysayers who say Universal only builds screen based rides and not true attractions?

I don't think it's a minority. Sure potter fans and others will enjoy it but it's not a Harry potter theme park. People will expect to experience other things.

Attendance at IoA before Harry Potter: 4.2 million

Attendance after: 8 million

If people didn't want Potter, the attendance wouldn't be at record numbers thanks to it.

Plus, things that have been added since Potter: New Spider-man film, Despicable Me, Transformers, Parade, Cinespec, Springfield.

Things coming after Potter 2.0: New KidZone and Kong, among others.

That's 8 non-Potter projects to 2 Potter projects.

^^ I agree, the more potter the better :happy:

Thank you to all who have contributed new photos lately, very much appreciated! Just wish those overhead shots were clearer/larger... I have been waiting for those! :doggie:

I have no interest in Transformers. None! so you know what I did the last time I was at Uni? I walked right by it. Imagine that. No one forced me inside. I just strolled on by. I believe no one is forcing anyone into WWOHP. If you don't like Potter, don't go. There are days worth of other things to enjoy. Personally I never would have flown to Florida if it wasn't for WWOHP.

I have no interest in Transformers. None! so you know what I did the last time I was at Uni? I walked right by it. Imagine that. No one forced me inside. I just strolled on by. I believe no one is forcing anyone into WWOHP. If you don't like Potter, don't go. There are days worth of other things to enjoy. Personally I never would have flown to Florida if it wasn't for WWOHP.

I agree, but what if transformers was a large land and in two parks. Do you see what I mean. The two cant even be compared but having an IP being in two parks and still growing seems to be excessive.

Apparently, no one agrees with me or seems to understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
Attendance at IoA before Harry Potter: 4.2 million

Attendance after: 8 million

If people didn't want Potter, the attendance wouldn't be at record numbers thanks to it.

Plus, things that have been added since Potter: New Spider-man film, Despicable Me, Transformers, Parade, Cinespec, Springfield.

Things coming after Potter 2.0: New KidZone and Kong, among others.

That's 8 non-Potter projects to 2 Potter projects.

I never said people dont want potter. Thanks to it, Universal has been able to improve and grow. And I said, I feel like with the WWOHP and DA, its perfect. Adding more and taking up more space when they maybe have the chance to repeat the success of potter with another IP seems like a better idea to me.

I agree, but what if transformers was a large land and in two parks. Do you see what I mean. The two cant even be compared but having an IP being in two parks and still growing seems to be excessive.

Apparently, no one agrees with me or seems to understand where I'm coming from.

The number of people who will plunk down a large amount of money to fly to Orlando from another state purely to see the WWOHP far outweighs those who will plunk down a large amount of money to fly to Orlando from another state to ride all kinds of exciting rides at Universal but who absolutely hate Harry Potter and don't want anything to do with WWOHP no matter how good the WWOHP attractions are. And although I could imagine some WWOHP haters praying for a Back to the Future reboot instead of another Potter attraction, I think they should realize that the money made from WWOHP is what will help foot the bill for the next non-WWOHP attraction. As for Potterheads like myself who were hoping for a whole Harry Potter theme park, 2 lands out of 14 lands spread out over 2 theme parks is still on the small side.

I sometimes wonder if the WWOHP haters aren't mostly locals hoping for another great roller coaster instead of well-themed lands with attractions that appeal to a broader audience. If that is the case, well I can't feel too sorry for them given the number of theme parks in proximity. Moreover, I suspect Universal makes far more money from out-of-staters than from annual pass holders when you take revenue from merchandise, dining, and on-site hotels into account. If I were a local who hated Harry Potter, I'd be more worried about the fact that with each WWOHP attraction added, the larger the crowds to both parks will get. Maybe that's the real source of their complaints?

But I hope you're right about Universal repeating the success with another IP at some point. It's just hard for me to imagine any other property that could be as compelling, as detailed, and as connected to such a vast and rich mythology as Potter is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.