Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you could swap it out with an RFID in a WDW Magic Band. Then you could use the Magic Band for the spells in Universal and use your wand to enter the Disney parks and FP+.:smiley:

I wasn't aware there was a debate...

I was simply replying to Ad0niS8 statement. Personally, I see the value in an interactive wand, but I struggle to agree that an interactive wand has more value, a $15 increase in value anyway, over a non-interactive wand because once you leave the parks, they will be identical. In the long run, at home and to the naked eye, a $45 interactive wand and a $30 non-interactive one will still look like the same stick. I don't see why Ad0niS8 should be sad that he has a Dumbledore wand, and saved 15 bucks, because once he brings the $45 wand home, it will function just like his Dumbledore one. Short term value, in my opinion.

Aaaah... but what if they sold mystic boxes that reacted with three specific magical functions for guests to purchase and take home with their wand? $$$ (I hope they thought of this)

After thinking about it... a miniature Hogwarts, a miniature HE, and a miniature Gringotts bank and dragon, each with 2-3 functions that would react to spells with the new wand. Each could sell for $49.95.

Last edited:
Maybe Ollivander finally took Harry and the Potters' awesome song The Economics of the Wizarding World Don't Make Sense to heart.

[video=youtube;AWX6EodhuMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWX6EodhuMI[/video]

Aaaah... but what if they sold mystic boxes that reacted with three specific magical functions for guests to purchase and take home with their wand? $$$ (I hope they thought of this)

After thinking about it... a miniature Hogwarts, a miniature HE, and a miniature Gringotts bank and dragon, each with 2-3 functions that would react to spells with the new wand. Each could sell for $49.95.

That's not totally a bad idea. Anything to make them useful, or somewhat unique, when the interactivity isn't available. For a local it might be a different story, because they could use the spells in the park on a semi regular basis, but for someone from out of town, like me, I'm not so sure I would spend the extra money for something that doesn't function once I exit the gates.

That's not totally a bad idea. Anything to make them useful, or somewhat unique, when the interactivity isn't available. For a local it might be a different story, because they could use the spells in the park on a semi regular basis, but for someone from out of town, like me, I'm not so sure I would spend the extra money for something that doesn't function once I exit the gates.

Okay, but hundreds of thousands of guests already buy wands that don't do anything period, for $10 more, I can't see any of those guests not buying an interactive wand, especially fans. I know that if it's open this weekend I'll certainly be buying one - I've wanted my wand since the first time I could read the stories and saw the movies, and I can tell you that it's just going to be a really cool experience casting a spell with your own wand, regardless of what you do with it once you get home...

Actually I thought I was only kidding about it, but if they released a Harry Potter game for XBox 360 and One that gave you some extra capabilities with use of your special wand would be pretty goshdarn awesome. I'm hoping Disney does the reverse of this with their Infinity statues, making them work with all the RFID stuff they have similar to the pirates map stuff.

I don't know if anyone asked this, but will the interactive wands work when you come back, or is it a works for a day deal?

I don't know if anyone asked this, but will the interactive wands work when you come back, or is it a works for a day deal?

You better hope they work on return trips! If it's a one time thing or pay per additional day, boy, what a waste.

Okay, but hundreds of thousands of guests already buy wands that don't do anything period, for $10 more, I can't see any of those guests not buying an interactive wand, especially fans. I know that if it's open this weekend I'll certainly be buying one - I've wanted my wand since the first time I could read the stories and saw the movies, and I can tell you that it's just going to be a really cool experience casting a spell with your own wand, regardless of what you do with it once you get home...

Of course they are gonna sell, I'm not denying that. People buy anything. My point is that I won't be buying one, especially when the effects generated by the wands will be spoiled by the hundreds of people in front of you triggering the effect. If I'm going to buy an interactive wand for more money, it better have some use to me once I leave the parks (Any chance one of the spells can make a 4/5/6 train appear during rush hour, THAT I would pay extra for :thumbs:). Either way, both wands will eventually be sitting as a paper weight in my apartment, doing nothing, if they have the interactivity built in or not.

Though, my perspective is not of the average quest. I'm a 23 year old who pays way outrageous NYC rent, forcing me to watch my money. Even if the interactive wands were priced the same as the original, I wouldn't be swinging my wand around in public anyway.......

Last edited:
I hope they make the wands work permanently... I'd be much less inclined to buy an interactive wand if it meant shelling out almost $50 for a one time thing... It'll probably work like those Magi-Quest places...

And I can understand why you wouldn't do that - I'm still in high school but I'm hoping to go to NY for college (and hopefully to live there afterwards), and I know what you mean... I just imagined the average tourist...
(I imagine, however, that the average tourist will probably believe the wand does things at home anyway... Imagine some middle aged couple waving their wand around trying to change the TV channel :lol: )

Last edited:
I'd guess they will only work for one visit, how else can they restrict numbers? They surely need to be able to monitor the amount of wands per day otherwise I see it being a free for all, duels in Diagon could well ensue.

I guess my question about the wand experience is this: Is there an actual story as you go from window to window, or are you just going to each window, casting the spell and then that's it? If there's some sort of story i'll definitely do it, but if it's just cast a spell and that's it, i'm not so sure.

I'd guess they will only work for one visit, how else can they restrict numbers? They surely need to be able to monitor the amount of wands per day otherwise I see it being a free for all, duels in Diagon could well ensue.

While they could change the accepted codes every so often, they might add the service of "retuning" a returning wand so that its codes would also be accepted by the system on any particular day.

My last post on this thread concerning Disney but related to what Uni has done. Why the heck didn't Disney jump on the development of Star Wars themed lands and attractions instead of doing this Avatar stuff??? I would have taken a page from Uni and developed new Star Wars lands for Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Because Avatar fits in Animal Kingdom.

What does this have to do with Potter, though?

While they could change the accepted codes every so often, they might add the service of "retuning" a returning wand so that its codes would also be accepted by the system on any particular day.

Isn't there a "Wand Repair Shop" facade right next to Ollivanders? It could be that when your wand RFID expires, you have to go and have it reprogrammed ("repaired") for a fee.

I know this has probably been brought up before but I missed it....when we will be there in September IOA is open until 7 pm while US is open to 8:30 pm. How will that fly with the Hogwarts Express?

I loved how they played the Back to the Future theme at the end of the Jimmy Fallon opening. That theme IS Universal for me.

The first time I walked the final straight-away from the garages to Citywalk back in 1999 that music was playing loudly. (they played movie themes back then) Every hair stood up on my bod... I was all hoppy happy...

The first time I walked the final straight-away from the garages to Citywalk back in 1999 that music was playing loudly. (they played movie themes back then) Every hair stood up on my bod... I was all hoppy happy...

The same exact thing happened to me! :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.