Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU)

Could be wrong but the way they phrase it in the movie is like how he asked for health....other people's payments were to give her power. So it was less about a real second wish and him personally giving her power like how he was getting health back.

No.

It was explained that "It grants you a wish, but takes your most valued possession." It's not a "pick and choose" scenario. Max also doesn't get to dictate how that power changes. The Dreamstone still works as it's supposed to. The only thing that changed is that he is now the vessel instead of the gem. They also went out of their way to clarify the "one wish" deal when Max was looking to head to the US President. He specifically says to the person "Can't use you, you've already made a wish".

The rules only changed when it was convenient for the plot (Barbara gets 2nd wish, broadcast signals counts as touching, gaining health off wishes, etc. etc.) which is why it's such a confusing point of discussion.

Every Super hero film has loopholes BS....like how Dr Strange says there is only one way to beat Thanos...really? Ohh the top of my head I can think of a few ways they just win without letting him get the stone.
1) Use a Portal and tell Wong to transfer Vision out of Wakanda once the fighting starts
2) Use a Portal and cut off Thanos hand and the gauntlet
3) Use a Portal and cut Thanos in half
4) Portal in more hero's to fight Thanos and take the Gauntlet
5) seeing how Peter is in raged either Portal him away after he has done his part or some other way get him to leave and get the Gauntlet off his hand

Once you have magic...nothing nothing makes sense
In BVS how the hell does Lex know Zod's DNA will make Doomsday? How does he know it will fight him if he makes a monster? Also who the hell calls there mother by there first name? Super hero films are all stupid fun

Those aren't loopholes.... :lol: We can do that game with any film. If Wonder Woman had stopped the robbers in the mall...there'd be no film... yada yada yada

And BvS is just as bad - but we're talking about WW... You gotta stop that "What about this?" I'm glad you liked the film, and it doesn't bother me that you did. There are movies I like that people think are bad. It's ok - I can at least see why they saw those flaws.

No.

It was explained that "It grants you a wish, but takes your most valued possession." It's not a "pick and choose" scenario. Max also doesn't get to dictate how that power changes. The Dreamstone still works as it's supposed to. The only thing that changed is that he is now the vessel instead of the gem. They also went out of their way to clarify the "one wish" deal when Max was looking to head to the US President. He specifically says to the person "Can't use you, you've already made a wish".

The rules only changed when it was convenient for the plot (Barbara gets 2nd wish, broadcast signals counts as touching, gaining health off wishes, etc. etc.) which is why it's such a confusing point of discussion.

Those aren't loopholes.... :lol: We can do that game with any film. If Wonder Woman had stopped the robbers in the mall...there'd be no film... yada yada yada

And BvS is just as bad - but we're talking about WW... You gotta stop that "What about this?" I'm glad you liked the film, and it doesn't bother me that you did. There are movies I like that people think are bad. It's ok - I can at least see why they saw those flaws.
I mean why can he become the stone in the first place? Its magic....and if you watch the movie Max yells "give her your aggression and hate" so thats where I'm assuming he can just use the taken magic from others and push it on to someone else....at this point he is at full health/power again so yeah thats just how I see it.

I think as someone comments either here or somewhere else the more absurd thing is people being none selfish and residing there wish.....after 2020 thats BS and I agree too many people are selfish and it will lead to the end of the world and kinda wish more movies talked about this and didn't sugar coat it to kids there are selfish people out there...they may not be bad but they will ignore science and logic if it differs with how they see the world and you need to be aware of that.

But anyway its a flawed film (so is the first...I hate the ending you have this emotional great film and then just make some crappy CGI fight with a villain no one cares about) I just liked it and liked the villains not being "evil" just people who were powerless and got power and made them worst people...that happens and makes sense considering how they were treated in the past.

I mean why can he become the stone in the first place? Its magic...

This goes back to the rules that can't change when it's convenient for the plot. You're right, it's magic so it's fine they went with that route. Either way, the established rules (1 wish, Monkey's Paw, etc) help set the stakes. If those can change at a whim, the impact of those stakes lessen to the viewer.

Last edited:
So I was just watching a video from Grace Randolph on the backlash and she mentioned that the third act of the 2017 Wonder woman having "lackluster action" almost didn't even happen at all. Jenkins wanted it to be just like this movie where there was a complete lack of action. WB and the Snyder's (who are EPs) interjected and forced her to put an action sequence at the end of the first movie, although it seems like she didn't necessarily put her all into it since it's not what she wanted. I just don't get why, in a comic book movie, where she should know full well people are expecting a big action sequence at the end, she doesn't seem to actually WANT to do one.

Also, why was there nobody around her who knew what they were talking about there to guide her on these two things: Comic Accuracy and if her choices made sense within the larger plot

Watched it last night. Seemed a little long and lagged at points, especially the first act. Agree about some of the plot choices made and the lack of more 80’s references since it was the title of the film after all.
another weird issue is, why introduce an invisible jet if 1. She can’t fly it. and 2. She ends up learning to fly without it. Almost went too far for me, like when Leia flew in space.

It's not about what crazier, it's what makes sense for the film. The film can do whatever it wants as long as it sets the rules and sticks to em. Those rules can't change when it's convenient for the plot. (i.e. Clarifying that you can only make 1 wish - but allowing Barbara a 2nd because of "generosity") It's a consistent issue throughout the film.

When the title highlights "84" and marketing stresses all the 80s nostalgia - you gotta dip the toes in a lot more than what they did. Ultimately, the time it took place meant nothing. They could've done a lot more with the Cold War and other early 80s callbacks but instead was just used for Steve's fish out of water clothing montage. Anything else that was featured in the film could have taken place in any other timeframe and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Well, whaddya know... :lol:

I wasn't big on DC as Marvel (except Batman) so I'm in the dark for most of that stuff.

Max didn't grant her a wish. When he took the powers of the stone he became a new wish giver thus resetting the limit. Or at least that's the way I understood it.

The 80s setting was a compliment to the message of the story. (Greed is good, More is better, who cares about the consequences just gimme gimme gimme) If it was set in a different era or modern times the motivation of the two villains, and why everyone just went along with the wishes and what they wished for wouldn't have made as much sense.

Me and my family all liked the movie, but we went in with no expectations beyond we wanted to be entertained and we were.

WB wanted one of the opening scenes of the movie cut from the movie according to Patty Jenkins, but she fought for them even though "it actually made the movie too long". At least she realizes it was too long. WB either wanted the Amazon scene (which imo was actually pretty good) or the mall scene gone. The mall sequence could've easily been cut and I wouldn't have shed a tear. I feel like the only purpose that scene served was to be like "OMG, look, it's the 80's".

Here's the full quote:
“I wouldn’t have jammed it in there because of the success of the film, because it actually made the movie too long. We have two openings in our movie and we would talk about it with the studio all the time and they would say, ‘You’ve got to cut the mall and the eighties, or you’ve got to cut the Amazon.’ I was like, we can’t, we can’t cut either.”

“I love the fact that you hear all of the ‘being a great hero takes your whole life,’ you know? So there was this wisdom there that they were trying to tell her which is not about being the strongest or the fastest, it’s about these complex observations you have to make during life in order to become a true hero. I love that she doesn’t understand that until that final speech.”

WB wanted one of the opening scenes of the movie cut from the movie according to Patty Jenkins, but she fought for them even though "it actually made the movie too long". At least she realizes it was too long. WB either wanted the Amazon scene (which imo was actually pretty good) or the mall scene gone. The mall sequence could've easily been cut and I wouldn't have shed a tear. I feel like the only purpose that scene served was to be like "OMG, look, it's the 80's".

Here's the full quote:

"I was like, we can’t, we can’t cut either.”

No... you could've cut the Amazonian Olympics... :lol:

Here's the full quote:

I feel like this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think cutting out either the mall or Amazon scenes would've fixed the issue. I actually kinda liked both scenes, useless as they were; they served as fun little appetizers before the main meat of the story kicked in.

the bigger issue is that stuff just sort of happens in the second act without any purpose. If you squint a bit, you can sorta see that they're setting up a "mystery" surrounding the origin of the Dreamstone and whether it's powered by love or not, but there's no mystery because the audience is constantly informed that the stone is bad news through the framing.

So I watched the movie again and I enjoyed it a bit more this time, a lot in part due to the fact that I watched the movie in two parts over two days on second watch. Its a long movie.

The mall scene was absolutely ridiculous, I liked how they handled Steve Trevor, Pedro Pascal was great, and Kristin Wiig was wasted as Cheetah. I felt the first half of this movie was pretty enjoyable. The second half however just gets straight up goofy.

All of that said, I still think it’s a fairly enjoyable film for the DCEU, but I think that speaks to the inconsistent nature of the DCEU more than anything.

On another note, maybe this is me just not knowing the comic history of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, but why is it that she grows up from a young child to be the age she is in WW (2017) and her mother clearly ages to be older, but she somehow stays the same age from the time of World War 1, to 1984 to BvS and Justice League?

So I watched the movie again and I enjoyed it a bit more this time, a lot in part due to the fact that I watched the movie in two parts over two days on second watch. Its a long movie.

The mall scene was absolutely ridiculous, I liked how they handled Steve Trevor, Pedro Pascal was great, and Kristin Wiig was wasted as Cheetah. I felt the first half of this movie was pretty enjoyable. The second half however just gets straight up goofy.

All of that said, I still think it’s a fairly enjoyable film for the DCEU, but I think that speaks to the inconsistent nature of the DCEU more than anything.

On another note, maybe this is me just not knowing the comic history of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, but why is it that she grows up from a young child to be the age she is in WW (2017) and her mother clearly ages to be older, but she somehow stays the same age from the time of World War 1, to 1984 to BvS and Justice League?
I could be wrong but they aren't suppose to age...or at least it takes a long time for them to age.

Like in a cut deleted scene in JC...it was suppose to show the Amazons fighting aliens with the Green Lanterns. Diane is different....in some comic's she is the daughter of War (which I assumed when he was the first villain...then no he has not connection to her....so no clue why he was chosen as a villain)

It took awhile longer than I expected, but WW84 officially lost it's fresh rating today.
It's now down to 2.5/5 on Letterboxd as well, which is only above BVS (2.4), JL (2.3), and SS (2.0) in the DCEU. A drop from something like high 80s to rotten hasn't happened in a looooong time.

I enjoyed it more than Birds of Pray....and honestly birds was less it being bad and more the film should have been a series. Too many characters and not enough time for them to really feel like a team like they should but I think WW84 for most isn't as like as the last few DC films and as long as it doesn't drop below the JL/BVS movies I'm good...those really suck.