Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Genuine question as someone who grew up on the cartoons and live-action show--what elements? I thought a lot of the movie had the vibe of the Salkind Superman movies of that era, but didn't see anything directly culled from TV.
The "invisible jet" was something specifically created in the Super Friends cartoon. A lot of her outfits, using the tiara as a boomerang, the Washington DC setting, and the presence of Steve (30 years later in the case of the TV show, 60 years later in the case of the movie) all were callbacks to the TV show, along with the reveal at the end.

Last edited:
this movie felt a lot like the Catwoman movie and green lantern. just the way the plot is set up and the look of the movie and the character interactions and stuff,
i dont say that as a joke or sarcastically or anything. the plot is messy and it was a little too long and the villains and ending were weak, in my opinion.

the action is lackluster and limited, Cheetah was kinda cliche, the movie has a couple of giant plotholes, the stuff with Steve returning was disturbing, creepy and troubling, and i feel like the 80s element was kinda wasted. a lot of the movie is cheesy lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
The "invisible jet" and the Cheetah character were something specifically created in the Super Friends cartoon. A lot of her outfits, using the tiara as a boomerang, the Washington DC setting, and the presence of Steve (30 years later in the case of the TV show, 60 years later in the case of the movie) all were callbacks to the TV show, along with the reveal at the end.
The invisible jet debuted in the comics in 1942. The original Cheetah (Priscilla Ruth) debuted in 1943. Her original comic also took place in Washington DC. Those weren’t elements created for the cartoon. (And though I can’t find the first time she boomeranged her tiara, the 30 year gap between the comic debut and the cartoon/TV show make me confident that originated in the comics as well).

I’ll agree the tone felt like a throwback (for both good and back), but Lynda Carter was big nod. Everything else has a comics origin.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Watched it last night...

tenor.gif

What an absolute mess from start to finish. The film has so much filler which makes the story absurder every second. The film's goofiness is entertaining enough, but by the end of it, I wasn't satisfied.

(mild spoilers)

It's also shockingly xenophobic between Arab stereotypes and Cold War glorification!

Wowza. I haven't even seen the movie, but it's amazing to me how the first Wonder Woman was the film that "saved" the early DCEU and now this one is getting savagely ripped to shreds.

You may appreciate this thread...

I mean, that thread is clearly coming from somebody with an axe to grind who dislikes Gadot and her nationality for political reasons.

The movie's problems (and it's got problems) are on much more fundamental storytelling and logic levels. If anything, I thought Gadot was one of the bright spots, and did her best to sell some pretty ridiculous things.

The invisible jet debuted in the comics in 1942. The original Cheetah (Priscilla Ruth) debuted in 1943. Her original comic also took place in Washington DC. Those weren’t elements created for the cartoon. (And though I can’t find the first time she boomeranged her tiara, the 30 year gap between the comic debut and the cartoon/TV show make me confident that originated in the comics as well).

I’ll agree the tone felt like a throwback (for both good and back), but Lynda Carter was big nod. Everything else has a comics origin.

Okay, maybe you can help me because this is driving me mad...

Was the Steve Trevor Thing from the comics? Or was it invented for the movie?

For a movie that was once “certified fresh”, which by RT’s standards, means that the movie is unlikely to waver too much in its score, WW84 has certainly fallen from grace.

It’s barely clinging on to a fresh rating still, now at a 62% critic score and 72% audience score after debuting with an 89% (with 76 reviews) after the embargo was lifted. It now has 330 total reviews and has fallen mightily, so everyone who put in their review before the embargo lifted is the only reason its not in the low 50’s or high 40’s, tbh.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Wowza. I haven't even seen the movie, but it's amazing to me how the first Wonder Woman was the film that "saved" the early DCEU and now this one is getting savagely ripped to shreds.
I'm in the minority but I liked it...lol

For sure its better than JL, Batman vs Superman and the first superman but thats just me...I like the villains and the morals of the story...but I also understand its crazy...though its no more crazy then time traveling to get stones to redo the universe just people don't like how this was filmed.

The action is cool but not as good as the first, I like the setting but people think its pointless...yet I think Stranger things over does the "we are in the 80s" this feels more like a film in the 80s and doesn't need pet rocks in my face to sell that.

Also Dan Murrel on Youtube has a great charts video going into the Rotten Tomatoes numbers, how woman liked the film more than men (not by much but 10% liked it more) and how about 50% of people who paid for HBO max watched the film. Which might be why a third film is in the works

Which might be why a third film is in the works
Don’t kid yourself, WW3 was not greenlit based on its release. It was very likely greenlit months and months ago. It’s just a good PR play to announce it right after release. Patty Jenkins may have asked them to guarantee her a third movie when they told her it was going to HBO Max. There may even be a rough draft of a script for the film in the works.

Remember, this movie was originally supposed to come out LAST YEAR and then in May, August, etc. They’ve had forever to write an outline for a third movie and they were always going to do one.

For sure its better than JL, Batman vs Superman and the first superman but thats just me...I like the villains and the morals of the story...but I also understand its crazy...though its no more crazy then time traveling to get stones to redo the universe just people don't like how this was filmed.

I feel like Batman vs Superman and superman was a little more respectful to the characters and to the audience, this movie is pretty bad to these characters and the audience lol. some scenes are very bad. some stereotypes were bad. the stuff with Diana and Steve is problematic (Handsome man, really?)
i also cannot believe in 2020 we got the riddler from batman forever and the CGI from CATS in the same character lol. cheetah is double awful lol.
at least the characters in BvS werent as bad as cheetah lol. (not even lex luthor)

Maxwell wasn't even a proper villain, he seemed like a loving father to the boy, his goals were all over the place, the rules set up by the movie make no sense and are broken constantly, the action scene with the car chase was kinda incoherent.
i saw your comment of BvS but in that movie it at least made sense.

Okay, maybe you can help me because this is driving me mad...

Was the Steve Trevor Thing from the comics? Or was it invented for the movie?
Steve Trevor (the character) debuted in ‘41 with Wonder Woman as, basically, the male equivalent to Lois Lane (dude in distress). In the 50s/60s, the roles shifted some, with Diana pining after him like crazy. In ‘68, she gave up her powers to be with him. Then he died in the next issue. He was then resurrected in ‘75 (which was likely planned by DC a couple of years prior) “in a different body.”

I feel like Batman vs Superman and superman was a little more respectful to the characters and to the audience, this movie is pretty bad to these characters and the audience lol. some scenes are very bad. some stereotypes were bad. the stuff with Diana and Steve is problematic (Handsome man, really?)
i also cannot believe in 2020 we got the riddler from batman forever and the CGI from CATS in the same character lol. cheetah is double awful lol.
at least the characters in BvS werent as bad as cheetah lol. (not even lex luthor)

Maxwell wasn't even a proper villain, he seemed like a loving father to the boy, his goals were all over the place, the rules set up by the movie make no sense and are broken constantly, the action scene with the car chase was kinda incoherent.
i saw your comment of BvS but in that movie it at least made sense.
Hard disagree...to me its the worst Batman since the bad 90's film. Superman is also just boring and plenty of the animated shows/films show he is not some boring character. I just fall on the side on not like the three movies with Superman in them and thinking WW is the best new DC film, followed by Shazam, then Aquaman and for me I would watch WW84 over JL or BVS every day but thats just me I would have walked out of Justice league if I wasn't with friends.

Also on Max well makes sense to me....he comes from a family with a bad father and his greed along with his want to have his child love him because he can buy him things drives him to use the stone....the stone is killing him so then he takes in a little bit of health from anyone who wishes so with millions of people he is at full health in a snap.

I just understood the two villains...to me they make sense one wants to be rich and powerful because he thinks that is what makes you a strong man and good figure for his son....Cheetah is both a stereo but also a real kinda person from the 80s, even today we do ignore many people but women like her did get ignored back in the day and when the stone made her feel sexy, wanted, confident and strong...who wouldn't want to stay like that?
She then goes to far and wants to become more powerful than WW in a lust to keep her power and only loses because one she might have more power but still doesn't know how to use it and two WW had a suit of armor that made her more powerful.

To me people are acting like this film makes no sense but I followed it and enjoyed it....these characters made more sense than War....I mean he is just in the film so WW has something to fight at the end. Dr poison was cool because she also was a misunderstood villain who because of the cruelty she had suffered wanted to pay it back to anyone she could.
Once again, if you didn't like it I won't convince you but the villains had reasons unlike Lex...or Dooms day or many of the early DC villains which are just CGI monsters that want to fight because people want to see bad CGI fight scenes for some reason.

It's not about what crazier, it's what makes sense for the film. The film can do whatever it wants as long as it sets the rules and sticks to em. Those rules can't change when it's convenient for the plot. (i.e. Clarifying that you can only make 1 wish - but allowing Barbara a 2nd because of "generosity") It's a consistent issue throughout the film.

The action is cool but not as good as the first, I like the setting but people think its pointless...yet I think Stranger things over does the "we are in the 80s" this feels more like a film in the 80s and doesn't need pet rocks in my face to sell that.

When the title highlights "84" and marketing stresses all the 80s nostalgia - you gotta dip the toes in a lot more than what they did. Ultimately, the time it took place meant nothing. They could've done a lot more with the Cold War and other early 80s callbacks but instead was just used for Steve's fish out of water clothing montage. Anything else that was featured in the film could have taken place in any other timeframe and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Steve Trevor (the character) debuted in ‘41 with Wonder Woman as, basically, the male equivalent to Lois Lane (dude in distress). In the 50s/60s, the roles shifted some, with Diana pining after him like crazy. In ‘68, she gave up her powers to be with him. Then he died in the next issue. He was then resurrected in ‘75 (which was likely planned by DC a couple of years prior) “in a different body.”

Well, whaddya know... :lol:

I wasn't big on DC as Marvel (except Batman) so I'm in the dark for most of that stuff.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It's not about what crazier, it's what makes sense for the film. The film can do whatever it wants as long as it sets the rules and sticks to em. Those rules can't change when it's convenient for the plot. (i.e. Clarifying that you can only make 1 wish - but allowing Barbara a 2nd because of "generosity") It's a consistent issue throughout the film.

When the title highlights "84" and marketing stresses all the 80s nostalgia - you gotta dip the toes in a lot more than what they did. Ultimately, the time it took place meant nothing. They could've done a lot more with the Cold War and other early 80s callbacks but instead was just used for Steve's fish out of water clothing montage. Anything else that was featured in the film could have taken place in any other timeframe and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Well, whaddya know... :lol:

I wasn't big on DC as Marvel (except Batman) so I'm in the dark for most of that stuff.
Could be wrong but the way they phrase it in the movie is like how he asked for health....other people's payments were to give her power. So it was less about a real second wish and him personally giving her power like how he was getting health back.

Every Super hero film has loopholes BS....like how Dr Strange says there is only one way to beat Thanos...really? Ohh the top of my head I can think of a few ways they just win without letting him get the stone.
1) Use a Portal and tell Wong to transfer Vision out of Wakanda once the fighting starts
2) Use a Portal and cut off Thanos hand and the gauntlet
3) Use a Portal and cut Thanos in half
4) Portal in more hero's to fight Thanos and take the Gauntlet
5) seeing how Peter is in raged either Portal him away after he has done his part or some other way get him to leave and get the Gauntlet off his hand

Once you have magic...nothing nothing makes sense
In BVS how the hell does Lex know Zod's DNA will make Doomsday? How does he know it will fight him if he makes a monster? Why does Superman's dad care more about his identity than saving people and himself? Why doesn't Superman do any of about a million things to move Zod and not just snap his neck? Also who the hell calls there mother by there first name? Super hero films are all stupid fun