Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wonderful World of Animation

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
At Destination D, it was revealed of a new show to replace the current projection show for the park's 30th anniversary, titled Wonderful World of Animation.

DsN9se2XcAAgQIv.jpg

The show is slated as a celebration of 90 years of Disney Animation, with the big Mouse himself to kick the show off. The show is expected for a May 2019 launch.

Wait so is this replacing the projection show (Disney Movie Magic) before the fireworks or is this replacing SW fireworks?

At Destination D, it was revealed of a new show to replace the current projection show for the park's 30th anniversary, titled Wonderful World of Animation.

DsN9se2XcAAgQIv.jpg

The show is slated as a celebration of 90 years of Disney Animation, with the big Mouse himself to kick the show off. The show is expected for a May 2019 launch.
What kind of projection surface is that? It looks like mist screens, but in the middle of the park????

So it is replacing the Disney Movie Magic show, so not a full nighttime show. That's a shame because this sounds like it could've been better on a bigger scale. Like, I would've been fine if they replaced Fantasmic with a theatrical show based on the history of Disney Animation. I mean, I guess that's sort of what Fantasmic! is, in a way. But man, they REALLY need to update the show. It's older than Illuminations and even that's finally getting replaced.

So it is replacing the Disney Movie Magic show, so not a full nighttime show. That's a shame because this sounds like it could've been better on a bigger scale. Like, I would've been fine if they replaced Fantasmic with a theatrical show based on the history of Disney Animation. I mean, I guess that's sort of what Fantasmic! is, in a way. But man, they REALLY need to update the show. It's older than Illuminations and even that's finally getting replaced.

I'm disappointed as well. Disney Movie Magic was a nice balance to the other offerings as the live-action films don't get too much love in the parks. This just sounds like Happily Ever After Light.

But I would hate to see Fantasmic go away too.

Ah! Isn’t this beautiful? Sometimes, I feel like going back to the age was years ago. There was nothing to worry about. I used to watch series by Andy Yeatman and Disney with my brother and sister. Now, I have to look for shows for my kids and also work hard for my job.

From an interview that multiple people with Disney Parks Live Entertainment gave, the show will be 12 minutes. Also interesting to note, the show WON'T be replacing Disney Movie Magic and depending on park hours, all three shows may play.

The new “Wonderful World of Animation” laser light and projection show debuts May 1 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios as part of the theme park’s 30th anniversary celebration.

“It will be a catalog looking through the wonderful feature animation from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios,” said Ray Coble with Disney Parks Live Entertainment.

The nighttime projection show uses state-of-the-art lighting technology to paint moving images on the park’s version of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The show will also include lasers, special effects and fireworks accents. The story takes viewers on a panoramic visual journey through more than 90 years of Disney animation.

“It tugs at the heartstrings from romance to adventure,” said Coble during an interview at Disney Hollywood Studios.

In the concept art, Sorcerer Mickey stands atop a cliff in his red robe and pointy moon-and-star blue hat at the centre of the action. Using a mix of magic and his imagination, Mickey then brings movie scenes to life from a host of animated films.

The movies span the history of Disney and Pixar animation, including:

• “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”
  • “Sleeping Beauty”
  • “Little Mermaid”
  • “Beauty and the Beast”
  • “Aladdin”
  • “Hercules”
  • “Emperor’s New Groove”
  • “Lilo & Stitch”
  • “Finding Nemo”
  • “The Incredibles”
  • “Cars”
  • “Wreck-It Ralph”
  • “Frozen”
  • “Big Hero 6”
  • “Zootopia”
  • “Moana”
  • “Coco”
In addition to those movies, the 12-minute show will include nods to every feature animated film ever released by Disney and Pixar, according to Coble.

“It is a feat,” said Coble, who serves as managing producer on the new show.

“A new soundtrack is about to be recorded for “Wonderful World of Animation,” Coble said. The hope is to then add new Disney and Pixar films to the projection show as they are released into theatres, he said.

“We’re going to stay relevant with this production,” Coble said. “We can insert new content as we go along so it’s always fresh.”

“Wonderful World of Animation” won’t replace the current “Disney Movie Magic” or “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular.” In fact, depending on park hours, all three shows could play each night.

Walt Disney World Nighttime Entertainment | blooloop

They'll need all three projection shows to divert those throngs of people that won't have any rides to go on. ...Now, if they could only come up with some stuff to do before the sun goes down.