WGA & SAG Strike of 2023 | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

WGA & SAG Strike of 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This one made me laugh to be honest

My brain was not prepared for 1:16. :lol:

I followed the link in the description and it seems like a training course. It's a good example of when it's used as a tool and not expected to be a replacement. I doubt that if this were simply entered like "create a funny Was Anderson trailer but LOTR" it would have been anywhere near cohesive alone—it still requires a human to have a clear vision for the final result.

I support the writers but if your asking me to pledge to never play an AI made Video game or movie forever. If I hear its good I'll most likely check it out.
I don't think anyone's going that far.

It's very likely that if it's good or well-made, there's a good change humans were closely involved in massaging the final result into something great. In that case, like the trailer linked above, people would likely have fewer issues with it because it's using a tool as it's meant to be used.

I think the important part to focus on is that art is the physical representation of mental expression. Human minds connecting to other human minds. If it's reduced to some underpaid/unpaid intern entering prompts based on marketing guidelines, what's the point?

A bigger problem next to copyright issues I've wondered about is how would actors follow up with details about a script? A director might be able to figure out what things to focus on in a scene but who are the actors going to ask for clarification on what was written by ScriptGPT (naming for the sake of convo)? In the ScriptGPT scenario would we ever get a similar situation like in HP where Snape's true motivations were known only by the actor throughout the films, and that it made a difference in how the character was portrayed?

In the scenario the studios seem to want to create is there would be an editor of the script, not really a writer (they'd have to get paid as such and we can't have that), and it would difficult to make sense of something wholly not your creation. There's already examples of how negatively impacted movies can be when people switch writers already. Who's going to answer questions around script writing, directing, and all the other stuff that isn't actually contained in a script but usually found directly from the writers who created it?

I assume this will soon come for the Directors Guild too. The WGA going on strike is a problem, but they can work around it for a bit.

However, the potential for a two union strike is seeming very high and I wouldn’t be surprised if we got the Trifecta all on June 30th.

If that happens, the studios are screwed and would have to probably give up more than had they just came to a deal on the WGA’s original terms as pretty much EVERY majorly Hollywood union (except for the Producers Guild) would have the studios by the balls.

Reactions: Frogki
To play devils advocate, if actors don't want AI thats fine but actors can sell their rights to be in movies after they die? Isn't that taking a job from another actor

Seems like AI is rules for thee but not for me

To play devils advocate, if actors don't want AI thats fine but actors can sell their rights to be in movies after they die? Isn't that taking a job from another actor

Seems like AI is rules for thee but not for me
I mean... yeah that's one of the reasons why a lot of people want to ban it lol. Big stars don't want Netflix to use their likeness without permission because it's creepy and working actors don't want to have to compete with deep fake James Dean. I don't really see a contradiction here.

I mean... yeah that's one of the reasons why a lot of people want to ban it lol. Big stars don't want Netflix to use their likeness without permission because it's creepy and working actors don't want to have to compete with deep fake James Dean. I don't really see a contradiction here.
Bill Willis has already sold his likeness for films

So if they ban AI, I guess he got an easy payday

I think the reasonable compromise to AI likeness for late actors would to put it in control of their estate.
I thought they are against AI for taking jobs

If you start having AI actors that stops new people from entering...hence rules for thee not for me statement

Its funny how quick some can be for AI once it profits them

I thought they are against AI for taking jobs

If you start having AI actors that stops new people from entering...hence rules for thee not for me statement

Its funny how quick some can be for AI once it profits them

There are multiple problems AI can bring beyond just AI likeness and voices.

As mentioned prior: writing is one aspect the WGA is fighting to ensure that doesn't overtake them.

Reactions: Frogki

It's an incredibly tone deaf appearance and speech that deserves that chanting and booing.

Good. SAG going on strike should put this to bed quickly. Studios will have no choice. Can’t film that material that is already written if you don’t have a cast anymore.

That's assuming the SAG negotiating committee doesn't back down like the DGA did (which is really no surprise, historically). This will certainly help them get more of what they are seeking.

Not that it matters now because it happened....but the directors getting a deal before the writers is such a joke

Power comes from everyone banning together not getting what you want then just going on like nothing is happening....hope the directors like directing all the films not be written right now