Universal Great Britain | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Considering this park is being planned now, it’s unlikely it will be based on any new franchises.

The only location I see left is Azkaban but when you think about what a theme park land needs, commercial, F&B etc that’s also unlikely.

I don’t see us shopping at Azkaban canteen (commissary) anytime soon.
Jurassic park the ride was in development before the movie came out. . .

Reactions: Jake S
At this point none of us, including well connected board members, can really be certain about what lands will end up in this park. We are too far out from design finalisation and planning approval.

The lands for EU changed relatively late in the planning process I believe? So even if there has been talk of IP's or even concepts, we can't be sure they end up coming to this park.

I would also assume that at some point there will be some research done onto what IP's the Brits would want at this park - that's what happened for Beijing.
Just no Dr Who please. I think it’s terrible IMO :lmao:

Just no Dr Who please. I think it’s terrible IMO :lmao:
Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Just some random thoughts...

I think there is a high probability that USGB will get Jurassic World Adventure, a 3rd version of The Hulk themed to JW, and a version of the F&F Drift Coaster.

And I know it won't happen, but I would love a Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol HHN house.

Reactions: Freak
I understand that you really don't want Potter in the park, am I understanding correct that it's because you want new IPs and are bored of Potter?

This is not my opinion I have stated quite clearly the company do not want to clone Orlando, it makes little sense when they have a lot of stuff going on in other territories. I have also hinted repeatedly that Warner may not want this 45mins from the actual studios and an hour away from their sizeable retail locations they will be locked into long leases with extortionate London rental rates.

I think it's worth changing the thinking that Potter will make or break this park, it won't. Or that, because it's a British park it needs very British properties that people will revolt if they don't see Harry. The UK is a cultural waste ground for Theme Parks and whatever they build will get the millions through the door they expect, Universal are very good at what they do and instead of responding like I don't know what I'm talking maybe start wondering what plan they have,because there was a time when USF didn't exist and they knew they had to do something different from what was already in Hollywood. There was also a time when Epic Universe didn't exist, that too was very different from whatever everyone knows for park setups...and even now there is extreme cynicism from the IP choices there. I recommend reading Jay Bangs

I would also assume that at some point there will be some research done onto what IP's the Brits would want at this park - that's what happened for Beijing.

I think sometimes public consciousness is a factor. The UK / Great Britain is quite diverse, so results from different geographic areas will differ I would think, but there’s common characters I believe that are widely known. Like the following…

James Bond
Sherlock Holmes
Lord Of The Rings
Peter Rabbit
Mr Bean
Squishmallows

That doesn’t necessarily mean these are good ideas for attractions.

For me personally right now, the only two solid options i’d go for is Bond, because they will keep making more and it has history, and maybe 28 days later for HHN. It’s creepy out there in rural Kempston Hardwick at night. Especially like now when there’s a storm.

Last edited:
This is not my opinion I have stated quite clearly the company do not want to clone Orlando, it makes little sense when they have a lot of stuff going on in other territories. I have also hinted repeatedly that Warner may not want this 45mins from the actual studios and an hour away from their sizeable retail locations they will be locked into long leases with extortionate London rental rates.

I think it's worth changing the thinking that Potter will make or break this park, it won't. Or that, because it's a British park it needs very British properties that people will revolt if they don't see Harry. The UK is a cultural waste ground for Theme Parks and whatever they build will get the millions through the door they expect, Universal are very good at what they do and instead of responding like I don't know what I'm talking maybe start wondering what plan they have,because there was a time when USF didn't exist and they knew they had to do something different from what was already in Hollywood. There was also a time when Epic Universe didn't exist, that too was very different from whatever everyone knows for park setups...and even now there is extreme cynicism from the IP choices there. I recommend reading Jay Bangs
Yes...Jay Bangs gives a great understanding of what Universal was, and is largely still about, even with Comcast ownership. IOA is a really great example. They turned down Warner trying to get, what just amounted to some thousands of extra dollars for IP rights, to maintain their Universal hardline negotiation reputation (from decades of being the main talent manager in Film, TV, media). They changed IP direction almost completely, but still ended up with what is arguably the best ride theme park. They still keep their build costs way lower than Disney by outsourcing and tough negotiations. They can build a strong park while keeping costs at a level that is still profitable. Just look at the Middle East theme parks that splurged on IP's and attractions, but struggle to make a profit. Just throwing money at IP's doesn't necessarily work....If this park gets built, I bet it doesn't struggle to make a profit like Disney Paris has for most of it's existence.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommyhawkins
There really would not, the vast majority of people going to the studio tour aren't British, and those who are into potter enough to care about this stuff have been to Orlando.
This is a problem in the minds of the people on this forum
I don’t think there’s even a majority of Harry Potter fans that have been to Orlando. Very few can afford it tbh.

Moving on from Potter, the other big one would be Nintendo. All of their top franchises will be represented in Orlando (eventually) so will the UK get anything? Maybe they get Zelda before we do? Idk just spitballing since it seems we’d be getting Pokémon at USF and the Luigi's Mansion expansion at Epic first.

Last edited:
I think the park can be successful without Potter, but there will be some backlash if Nintendo (specifically Mario) is not included. That definitely seems to be Universal's hottest IP at the moment.

Reactions: Della and Mike S
I think the park can be successful without Potter, but there will be some backlash if Nintendo (specifically Mario) is not included. That definitely seems to be Universal's hottest IP at the moment.
It could also benefit Nintendo to increase their brand in the UK. Although they do well it’s not as strong as it could be. All of Europe is basically PlayStation land.

Reactions: Della and Nico

As I understand it they don't want to clone specific attractions but the Orlando IP's being used in new ride designs or shows is still possible. I do believe the park would be successful whatever IPs they chose, because Universal have proven themselves very skilled at building parks (the book sounds good, will try to read it). I agree that the lack of one IP, eg Potter won't make or break it, me and plenty of others will still visit whatever they put there. But people that are HP fans but not general theme parks fans would only come for HP. I know Universal will imagine new IPs and rides that will be brilliant. I do still hope for at least one or two of the following IPs, if I can't have them all; Harry Potter, Nintendo, Jurassic Park/World, Pokemon. There are the things my sons would go mad for. (Don't think we need other British IPs, don't really have strong love for any British brands except HP, although a James Bond stunt show could be good). But I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever universal build. There would be more buzz and good publicity if they include some big name IPs.

Regards the Warner bros studio tour, yes they might be worried about competition but the other train of thought is that things being near each other with a similar theme actually increase revenue for both, , for example in my city there's two kitchen tile superstores right next to each other. You'd think there'd only be enough market for one, but they've both been there many years. People from all over who want kitchen tiles know where to go, and the two stores draw more people than just one would, and they each benefit as people will look in the other when they can't find what they want in the first. Same with Universal and Disney in Florida and California, theme parks right next to each other but plenty of market for both and visitors to one often go to the other, so together they pull more people to Orlando than either alone. and if the park had HP in, HP fans are definitely coming to London/Bedford from all over the UK and world, when the draw of the studio tour alone may have not been enough. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with that.

Question, because we’re not really delving into this part of the Potter chat. We’re pretty confident in the ‘no cloned rides from Orlando line’.

So what else do people think they could do with Potter?

I say this as a mild Harry Potter fan that can’t think of anymore locations that haven’t already been used in Orlando.

In today's earnings call, Comcast execs were asked directly about future investment and whether they would continue to build new theme parks. The person asking specifically mentioned the possible park for the UK as an example. They wanted to know if it would continue non-stop after Epic Universe, or if we would get a "spending holiday" from it.

The answer given was that spending would remain elevated with Epic Universe, as well as the already under construction Universal Kids and Horror projects, as we head into 2025. Then spending will decrease. But, if these projects work out and return an investment "we'd be excited in the years to follow—can't predict when—to continue to give the parks & experiences business whatever capital it requires."

Question, because we’re not really delving into this part of the Potter chat. We’re pretty confident in the ‘no cloned rides from Orlando line’.

I say this as a mild Harry Potter fan that can’t think of anymore locations that haven’t already been used in Orlando.
I agree that most locations have already been utilised. However, Hogwarts is only ever a distant model in its current theme parks. It would make sense to push the boat out and create a Hogwarts that can interact with rides.

I personally think a Hogwarts hotel is a great idea despite the failures of Disney’s Star Wars hotel. Star Wars was never really about locations in the way that potter is and I’m sure a Hogwarts hotel would be a huge success. Obviously if Rowling is against it then there’s nothing anyone can do.

On UGB not wanting to reduce the overseas market to Orlando, that’s fine. But if they can make more money overall as a company by putting in more expansive IPs and even similar if not cloned attractions at UGB to attract a wider European (and even North American) audience, even if it reduces travel to Orlando somewhat, then logically they should want to do it. That of course does not account for any political pressure from local government in Orlando or any other nationalistic inclinations from other decision makers.

Universal will naturally want to utilise their own IP and I’m sure they will build a great park regardless of IP. But when families are considering travelling from distant parts of the UK and internationally they’re much less likely to do so without major relatable IP. Theme park enthusiasts in general won’t care much but universal should (and I hope will) be looking for more than that.

Last edited:

Azkaban is one of the big ones, an area that’s more dark forest related could be good. They have a small dark forest set down the road though.

There’s still some more that are in the books but never made it to the films.

I’m surprised nothings being created around the Triwizard tournament.

Reactions: DanM
Azkaban is one of the big ones, an area that’s more dark forest related could be good. They have a small dark forest set down the road though.

There’s still some more that are in the books but never made it to the films.

I’m surprised nothings being created around the Triwizard tournament.
Quidditch World Cup stadium could be another option. Goodrich’s hollow. I’ve not seen the films for years but when I think about it there’s probably a tonne of locations you could use that haven’t already been used.

Reactions: TylerG and Altonsky
In today's earnings call, Comcast execs were asked directly about future investment and whether they would continue to build new theme parks. The person asking specifically mentioned the possible park for the UK as an example. They wanted to know if it would continue non-stop after Epic Universe, or if we would get a "spending holiday" from it.

The answer given was that spending would remain elevated with Epic Universe, as well as the already under construction Universal Kids and Horror projects, as we head into 2025. Then spending will decrease. But, if these projects work out and return an investment "we'd be excited in the years to follow—can't predict when—to continue to give the parks & experiences business whatever capital it requires."

This sounds positive?