The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 332 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I guess it just really sucks for me [and all of the other Harry Potter fans who got the books when they first came out] that Wizarding World was not made when we were kids. I could not care less if it were some attraction that had nothing to do with Harry Potter...I know nothing about Disney World or their attractions, but if this had something to do with Mickey Mouse of course I would rather a child experience it...this is Harry Potter and how many 5 year olds do we know who have read all seven of the books? I really am not trying to come off as selfish [and I suppose I am failing, it is just simply hard to convey exactly what I am feeling via the internet and a forum].

I am not saying they should only choose diehard fans and I know it is impossible, but I wish everyone could experience it if he or she wished. Honestly, I would pay extra to be able to experience it and I know a lot of HP fans who would as well.

I get what your saying...everyone thinks its rude to deny a child the wand experience but real fans appreciate it so many times more. Kids have 0 clue and will probably wind up putting the wand on a shelf and never think about it again...if theyre in the 4-7 range

Kids have 0 clue about HP for the most part..and a lot are scared of the movies. Not that they have 0 clue all the time b/c kids catch anthing you do or say :)

Okay, I have to get this off my chest..

I agree that older fans should be more mature and realize that not everyone is going to experience this. Look, the wand is not really choosing you, so why do you feel that you HAVE to go through the fitting process? It's just some random system that they use, there isn't a wand literally waiting specifically just for you at Ollivander's right now. The older fans know this, but children don't, so might as well let them go through it and just enjoy the show.

However I completely disagree that a younger kid will take more out of this than a 21 year old. I've been a fan of harry potter for 12 years, since I was 9, and there is no way a 6 year old will appreciate it as much as I do, just because a 6 year old can't understand the Potter series as well as someone my age does. I don't care how precocious a child is, they haven't had the life experiences to help them understand the recurrent themes of power of love or friendship, or the battle between good and evil, etc.

ALSO, for anyone else who's gotten to preview this, do you think you could maybe give an estimate of the dimensions of the seats? Like specifically how wide the individual seat is?

Ok a few things before I go to bed

On the wand front I am staying quiet I said my peace & have given a reality check even though I will still be one that is yet a bit POed they couldn't find a way to let more people do it but won't let it bother me.

As far as if there is a reference chart of some sort I have not been there in person but if there is not one hanging up I am sure the person at the cash register will have the information to be able to show you "your wand" There is also a lot of sites you can go to that will tell you the kind of wood that relates to your B-Day. (any insert or if your wand has a different wood as its tip can only be known once you see it there since this is not really decided by your B-Day & it's just part of the wand design itself)

Last I hate to say this but the special seats for FJ are not there yet. I didn't want to believe Screamscape but did get confirmation these seats are not available yet. So if you don't fit in the test seat until they get their act together you won't be riding yet. :(

Goodnight all

Hey guys, I think we truly are beating this thing into the ground. Trust me, been reading HP my whole life and I am a HUGE theme park fan (especially IOA) but we've got to move on. I would LOVE to be able to participate in the experience, but if not, although it would suck, I'll get over it and I'm sure you will, too. The main thing I'm thinking about now is the other 25 people in the shop that didn't get picked wandering into the actual shop and sitting for hours trying to pick out which wand they want. I can hear it now...

"Should I get the Alder wand with a Phoenix feather or a Cedar wand with a unicorn tail? Or what about..."

:doh:

ductapemyheart, hello fellow Nashville Tennessean, actually I'm just south of Nashville but I totally understand what you are saying and I am in a similar boat but mine is with my own kids. I know some people on this forum don't understand the passion that some HP fans have for the books, movies, and now hopefully the WWoHP. Whether or not you feel that the fans just need to "grow up" and "get real" is just as overboard of a reaction as you feel the fans are.

people have grown up sometimes quite literally with Harry Potter. it has been a part of their lives to some degree for a very long time and for to have been led to believe that the wand thing was for anyone who wanted to participate and now to be told that most likely 90% or so will walk away with out that experience it is quite a bit disappointing.

ok rant over...sorry to be kicking a dead horse

Thank you! I am South of Nashville as well, in Franklin. You are definitely accurate in describing the dedication of HP fans! You have not lived until you have waited years for a book and then did not sleep nor eat nor practically leave the house until you finished it. I am one who, like your children, has literally grown up with Harry Potter. Here's to hoping we can all have a wand choose us!

HAY GIANT 4203...hay i was wandering if the restraint came all the way down on you for the FJ ride, im 42 waist and 50 chest and 240 lbs...i just want to know if i can fit. sucks that you wont be able

HAY GIANT 4203...hay i was wandering if the restraint came all the way down on you for the FJ ride, im 42 waist and 50 chest and 240 lbs...i just want to know if i can fit. sucks that you wont be able

52 inch chest and below should be fine...I just need a crash diet and I should be fine :)

Actually hearing that there is a reference chart assures me a bit more...if I am able to see which type of wood corresponds to my birth month, that will be neat. I understand it is completely random and fake doing the "experience", but hopefully we can at least get a photograph of us inside of Ollivander's with the wandkeeper and our wand.

Do you think we are able to bypass the experience and just pick our own wands? Maybe they will have separate lines...one for those who want to watch the show and one for those who just want a wand?

52 inch chest and below should be fine...I just need a crash diet and I should be fine :)

thanks bro, i think i will be fine as i fit on DD and hulf before and not the big boy seats, im just freakin myself out...i actually did 180 jumpin jacks this morning as preparation to lose the weight to ride this. i hope you get to ride and thanks for the tweets and ur review

Actually hearing that there is a reference chart assures me a bit more...if I am able to see which type of wood corresponds to my birth month, that will be neat. I understand it is completely random and fake doing the "experience", but hopefully we can at least get a photograph of us inside of Ollivander's with the wandkeeper and our wand.

Do you think we are able to bypass the experience and just pick our own wands? Maybe they will have separate lines...one for those who want to watch the show and one for those who just want a wand?

We don't know if there's a chart yet, or how it is done. But, if you don't want to watch or have the chance to be picked to be in the experience you can always go straight to Owl Post where the wands are actually sold.

themedreality and Giant4203, thanks for the reports!! Questions:

After you exit Ollivander's and go into Owl Post, do they have a display with the "choose-you" wands labeled with wood type, length and core? Do they offer a reference chart to let you know which one would have chosen you based on your characteristics? Do the even offer the wands that choose you? or just replica wands from the movies?

This is my situation: as long as I see the show I'm fine, I don't care to be the one in the show, but I DO want MY wand, not just any movie replica wand from a character, but the one based on my birthday and whatever other criteria they use to determine it.

Last edited:
We don't know if there's a chart yet, or how it is done. But, if you don't want to watch or have the chance to be picked to be in the experience you can always go straight to Dervish and Banges where the wands are actually sold.

themedreality and Giant4203, thanks for the reports!! Questions:

After you exit Ollivander's and go into Dervish & Banges, do they have a display with the "choose-you" wands labeled with wood type, length and core? Do they offer a reference chart to let you know which one would have chosen you based on your characteristics? Do the even offer the wands that choose you? or just replica wands from the movies?

This is my situation: as long as I see the show I'm fine, I don't care to be the one in the show, but I DO want MY wand, not just any movie replica wand from a character, but the one based on my birthday and whatever other criteria they use to determine it.

They do offer replica wands of most of the characters. As far as a reference chart, I didn't see one, however I didn't spend too long in the Owl Post because there was wall to wall people. They have about 10 or so wand types available for the "choose your own" veriety

Okay, I have to get this off my chest..

I agree that older fans should be more mature and realize that not everyone is going to experience this. Look, the wand is not really choosing you, so why do you feel that you HAVE to go through the fitting process? It's just some random system that they use, there isn't a wand literally waiting specifically just for you at Ollivander's right now. The older fans know this, but children don't, so might as well let them go through it and just enjoy the show.

However I completely disagree that a younger kid will take more out of this than a 21 year old. I've been a fan of harry potter for 12 years, since I was 9, and there is no way a 6 year old will appreciate it as much as I do, just because a 6 year old can't understand the Potter series as well as someone my age does. I don't care how precocious a child is, they haven't had the life experiences to help them understand the recurrent themes of power of love or friendship, or the battle between good and evil, etc.

ALSO, for anyone else who's gotten to preview this, do you think you could maybe give an estimate of the dimensions of the seats? Like specifically how wide the individual seat is?

I don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud, but this statement made me bust out laughing. Domronr who is barely legal waxing poetic about 6 year olds and life experiences is extremely ironic and amusing. I'm in my 30's, have a wonderful wife of almost 8 years, a great son, awesome job, underwater mortgage and 2 car payments, and I still constantly learn something new about life and the human condition every day. I promise you, until you bring a life into this world and are responsible for the well being of a little person you created, you will NOT fully comprehend the meaning of love and sacifice that are central to Harry's story, so under you reasoning, perhaps only parents should be allowed to experience the wand selection? I also promise you that while 4 - 7 year old's don't have the development of a teenager or adult, they most certainly do understand the basic concepts of love, and right and wrong (even if they don't attribute it to good and evil in a classcal or religous context).

I do not mean to belittle your enthusiasm toward HP in the slightest. You grew up reading Harry's trials and tribulations, all the while going through you own. I'm willing to bet he seems like a trusted friend and Hogwart's almost like a second home. I'm sure if you got the chance to be picked, it woulld fulfill a 12 year dream of yours, as is the whole WWOHP addition. But it's just that- a fulfillment, or ending of a dream. Picking kids to do the wand selection, even kids who haven't read the books, allows new dreams to be created and for their imaginations to be stimulated. To me, creation is more powerful than completion.

They do offer replica wands of most of the characters. As far as a reference chart, I didn't see one, however I didn't spend too long in the Owl Post because there was wall to wall people. They have about 10 or so wand types available for the "choose your own" veriety

Thanks! So the "choose your own" wands were on display? Can you describe the display of these wands? did they have any sort of labels?

Last edited: